Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
My sincere apologies for starting a new thread without not even owning a Multi yet.
I've been riding for 20 years mostly BMW and KTM (I have a 1200gs 06, a KTM 790 Adventure 2019 and a 500EXC 2013)
I'm looking at a couple of preowned Multistradas a 2014 S and a 2016 non S, both very low miles bikes being the 2016 3k more expensive.
This will be my first Ducati so I don't know much about the difference between these years. I now that in 2015 the engine changed and I'm wondering if having the new engine is worth it considering I'll be trading it for not having electronic suspension.
Thanks in advance for your feedback!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Nothing wrong with either, and the electronic suspension is a take it or leave it depending on your needs. I never change the settings. Only 1X per year when missus jumps on and I switch to "sport" because it stiffens the pre-load for a passenger.

Shorter motor services on pre-15 models, your mileage should dictate the importance of that issue. The deals on the pre-DVT bikes are amazing right now. Low mile, adult owned and serviced MTS for $7500 all over the place. It's so much bike for the money compared to even 10 years ago I recommend starting there. 2014 S for the win Marteen!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I have a 15S (which is basically identical to the 16S). IMO the ONLY reason to get a 16 over a 14 is if you want the e-gizmo's the S has. I personally would take a 14S over a 16 non-S (especially with similar mileage). I change my ride settings nearly every time I ride (I have Sport set up very stiff... so switch to Touring unless I'm up to no good). When I'm touring I also dial in the setup - so for me the semi-active has been a "must have on all my future touring bikes" thing. I also have had my ass saved by the lean angle IMU on mid-corner dirt so I want that too from now on.

The 14 is a little rowdier, a little less 'cultured' (down low vibes)... power is so close it's a non-factor imo, handling is same, comfort is the same (DVT seat is a bit softer but aftermarket can fix the seat). If you don't care about the electronics... ride them both but IMO there's no reason to pick one over the other (other than your personal needs/preferences).

Reactions: Martincito

·
Registered
272 Posts
The 15 and later has the DVT variable timing motor, which makes the bike much more tractable at low speeds. I commute, so that was a big deal.
The Skyhook suspension is amazing. In tour mode, it rides as nice as my Goldwing. This is the first bike I've had with electronic suspension, and it's simply a game changer. It make the MTS two bikes in one.

That's a tough choice. The DVT is great, and the Skyhook is great. One big difference is 2016 will have cornering ABS.
Coming from a 1200GS, I'd probably steer you toward the 2014 S.

PS: The seats suck. Plan on getting a Sargent, Russell, or taking it to a local bike upholstery shop.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The other members have said most of it already, but I'd summarize in the following way:
  • Want the electronic gizmos and e-nannies? Got to the S
  • Want the DVT engine (better behavior in low revs - < 3000rpm), go for the 2016

I had a 2014S in the past and loved it.

·
Registered
2016 Multistrada 1200S
4 Posts
Or, keep looking and you'll find a nice 2016 S that's a good deal. I bought mine for under $10K this winter, 15,000 miles in perfect condition with the touring pack. There were a couple more on the east coast for similar money at the time.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Or, keep looking and you'll find a nice 2016 S that's a good deal. I bought mine for under $10K this winter, 15,000 miles in perfect condition with the touring pack. There were a couple more on the east coast for similar money at the time.
That's almost unbelievable. A 2016 S Touring w/ less than 20k miles for less than 10k? That is so much bike for the money, awesome on one hand but a shame on the other, since it means depreciation on these bikes is brutal for the first few years.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've got a 2013 MTS GT which is basically the same bike as the 2014 MTS S with larger bags and a couple of add ons. It's got almost 30k miles and I have never considered trading it in for a newer model. They are really great bikes. The soft used market on these is really something. They are a bargain.

t_bare

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
A lot of great comments here. One correction: the cornering ABS was introduced on the 2015 not the 2016.
Correct... 15's and 16's are essentially identical (some changes to seat which had a tendency to fall apart on the 15's). 2017 is also basically the same (intake lid was updated but for $80 you can update a 15/16 to the same parts).

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's almost unbelievable. A 2016 S Touring w/ less than 20k miles for less than 10k? That is so much bike for the money, awesome on one hand but a shame on the other, since it means depreciation on these bikes is brutal for the first few years.
Lol I paid the equivalent of 11k USD for my 2016 S Touring brand new last fall (leftover, obviously)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts