Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my reliable, if rather plain, BMW K75 and now have couple of Italian beauties vying for my attenion (and my wallet). In particular, a MY99 with 15k miles and MY01 ST4, both stock, roughly same mileage and condition. The MY01 is slightly cleaner, 2k fewer miles, but carries a $2k premium. Are there any differences in the stock machines that would justify the extra expense? A yellow MY01 st4s really caught my eye, but it is another $1k more than the MY 01 st4, albeit with half the miles, not mention that the st4s is on the opposite side of the continent from me. Not really the best time of year to ride cross country. I'm hoping you guys might have some advice. Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Make the trip for the ST4s. Its a totally different bike from the ST4. Read the thread up to for a description of the various ST models

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Clarify that the ST4s is really an ST4s, as it was introduced in the US as an MY 02 model. According to our friends in Europe, the ST4s was introduced over there as an MY 01 model.

·
Registered
222 Posts
+1 on getting the ST4S - better engine(996), Brembo brakes, Ohlins shocks - I test rode an ST2 and ST4 and although they were adequate & handled well, I found they were un-inspiring and felt down on the horsepower/torque compared to the ST4S. I waited 2 years to find an ST4S I could afford in the color scheme I wanted and it was well worth the wait.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I just sold my reliable, if rather plain, BMW K75 and now have couple of Italian beauties vying for my attenion (and my wallet). In particular, a MY99 with 15k miles and MY01 ST4, both stock, roughly same mileage and condition. The MY01 is slightly cleaner, 2k fewer miles, but carries a $2k premium. Are there any differences in the stock machines that would justify the extra expense? A yellow MY01 st4s really caught my eye, but it is another $1k more than the MY 01 st4, albeit with half the miles, not mention that the st4s is on the opposite side of the continent from me. Not really the best time of year to ride cross country. I'm hoping you guys might have some advice. Thanks.

Dan
If you like power, and all the other good stuff, the 4s will be the one to get. A 4s with 7500 mi. would be a good deal. I put 7500 on my 99St2 in the last 6 months.
This time of year? What are you talking about? I10 east to I65 north to NC, the weather will be fine. A few bucks and a plane ticket could maybe even convince me to ride it for you.
Enjoy the ride, live on.

·
7,733 Posts
Which ever one you get, be prepared for a day vs night riding experience. :) It'll be like coming off a mule, and getting on an Arabian re the sound and ride and power delivery of any Ducati ST bike compared to the steady but staid beemer 750 triple: a great bike, but just not a Ducati. But it's not all fun and games; now you'll be able to put your full face helmet in a side case too. :) Have fun. :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Maybe put your mind at ease by having one of us in the area checking out the 4S! Plenty of shipping companies that will fix your other problem. Fred

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. I see there are lots of ST4S fans here. I suppose my biggest fear is flying out to Portland and spending more money than I should. The ride home would be a dream come true. In reality, I'm trying to convince myself that I should just wait. Did a double check. The ST4S is a MY02. Ad says that the bike was lowered by 1". Not sure if that's going to be an issue for me. It's a long way to go for a test ride :)

As for the ST4, is there any significant reason to spend $2K for a MY01 that I can't upgrade on a MY99 for less?
Thanks

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
As for the ST4, is there any significant reason to spend $2K for a MY01 that I can't upgrade on a MY99 for less?
Thanks
If the MY 99 and MY 01 are both an ST4, then I don't believe there is anything to upgrade on the MY 99 other than to make sure it comes with hard bags.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
Thanks for the input. I see there are lots of ST4S fans here. I suppose my biggest fear is flying out to Portland and spending more money than I should. The ride home would be a dream come true. In reality, I'm trying to convince myself that I should just wait. Did a double check. The ST4S is a MY02. Ad says that the bike was lowered by 1". Not sure if that's going to be an issue for me. It's a long way to go for a test ride :)

Thanks
Keep your eye's open and be patient. An ST4 will surely comeup for sale on this side of the Mississippi in the next few months.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you ridden the two bikes that are near you? What did you think? Should be a big difference coming off a K75. I have never ridden an ST4s, but the power on my 99 ST4 is more than adequate for most mortals. And the fully adjustable Showa F&R suspension works fantastic for the spirited road riding I do... even on our crappy NorCal roads. It's very compliant. One of the keys was to have a professional tuner dial it in. Best $40 i ever spent. I'm amazed at how many guys buy expensive bikes with complex suspension systems and never bother to set them up properly. Oh, and the Brembo brakes on my ST4 are not replicas... they are the real thing. You also need to find out when the 12k service was done on those bikes as one or both could be due for new timing belts.

Personally i would not fly cross-country to buy a bike unless it was an outstanding deal and i was absolutely certain it was the bike i wanted.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Have you ridden the two bikes that are near you? What did you think? Should be a big difference coming off a K75. I have never ridden an ST4s, but the power on my 99 ST4 is more than adequate for most mortals. And the fully adjustable Showa F&R suspension works fantastic for the spirited road riding I do... even on our crappy NorCal roads. It's very compliant. One of the keys was to have a professional tuner dial it in. Best $40 i ever spent. I'm amazed at how many guys buy expensive bikes with complex suspension systems and never bother to set them up properly. Oh, and the Brembo brakes on my ST4 are not replicas... they are the real thing. You also need to find out when the 12k service was done on those bikes as one or both could be due for new timing belts.

Personally i would not fly cross-country to buy a bike unless it was an outstanding deal and i was absolutely certain it was the bike i wanted.

What Brian said, the 99 ST4 had adjustable Showa and the Brembo brakes with snowflake rotors, add a duc performance chip and exhaust and the ST4s has nothing on it for power. Plus, the 916 sounds oh so sweet. I wouldn't trade for a 4s. Hey if the dude sounds up and up and someone on the list is out there that could check the bikes for you and you got the time, go for the cross country trip. ;) Good luck.

Oh yea, I have a beemer friend who is always ragging on everything else,
I'll let him know that at least one fellow has seen the light and traded in the German frauline with the sagging jugs for a perky Italian mistress. :)

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
I've seen and sat on the bike you mention. Certainly looks like a clean example. Bone stock. Some subtle shading difference between the yellow panels, which was not unusual for the yellow. I looked closely and saw no damage or evidence of foul play, but did not ride it. The lowering is reversable with adjustment of the ride height rod in back and sliding the fork tubes back to their stock position. It has some weird dual-sport kind of tires on it, not what you would normally use on an ST. If you need any help with it, let me know.

pg
DD

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've seen and sat on the bike you mention. Certainly looks like a clean example. Bone stock. Some subtle shading difference between the yellow panels, which was not unusual for the yellow. I looked closely and saw no damage or evidence of foul play, but did not ride it. The lowering is reversable with adjustment of the ride height rod in back and sliding the fork tubes back to their stock position. It has some weird dual-sport kind of tires on it, not what you would normally use on an ST. If you need any help with it, let me know.

pg
DD
Thanks for the info. I am partial to the yellow but probably not enough to fly and then drive 3K miles. Patience is not one of my virtues :) especially now that I am without a ride. If I decide to fly out to Portland I'll let you know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I have finally decided to go ahead and purchase the MY99 ST4 in red. The price fits my budget, the bike seems mechanically sound with 15k miles, fresh service and only some minor cosmetic blemishes. Plus it is only a nine hour ride from home. By this time tomorrow, which just happens to be my birthday), she'll be mine, and I'll ride her home Friday and Saturday. I'll post more info and a photo once it's official. Thanks for the input. I can hardly sleep thinking of this Italian beauty.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Congrats. What route will you be taking back to Huntersville?

I'm just up above Stuart, VA and not far off 81.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My original plan was 95 to 85, but with this wild weather, I'm not certain. How are the temperatures along the I-81 corridor?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts