Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been riding a brand new Aprilia Mana 850 - the new one with the tiptronic/auto clutch transmission - for about a year now. It is my first bike, and really easy to ride. I'm looking for a second bike because I really want a sportbike. Since my beginner motorcycle class where I got my license, I've only tooled around on a bike with a clutch - a GSX-R 600 - a handfull of times, although I've found it no problem at all, except for maybe the smoothness of shifting. I actually feel more in control with a clutch. Im a tall guy, and feel really comfortable on the larger Ducati superbikes. I'm in an weird place- I test rode an '05 999 and an '08 848 the day I first rode the GSX-R. I had no problems (except for stalling them from standing because I was being too easy on the throttle) felt more confident in the sport riding position, and really felt great openining it up a bit a few times. Ducati sport bikes fit my height better, the have great torque, and I dont think I'd consider the midget bike the GSX-R is for me, or even an in-line 4. The problem is im a little intimidated of the larger hp/torque bikes, as I should be. Should I go with something like a 749 that has the same torque as my aprilia, or try and baby a 999 or 848 for a year until i feel comfortable with the power? I dont want to pay $7-8 grand for a 749, then want more before I am done making payments on it when I could be buying a 999 for $9 grand with a 2 year waranty, or a test 848 for $12, waranty, and low financing. Obviously, from the test ride I can tell that any of these bikes is night and day in comparison with the aprilia streetfighter, hence the trepidation.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If you are a patient person, and can hold to your commitment to be careful, then I don't see why not go for the 999. It is best to be scared of it. My first bike was a 749, and I was terrified of it for a few months, and that helps a lot. You will get used to the big bikes habits, and you will get comfortable, just make sure that it does not happen faster in your head than in reality.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Ya don't need a big bike to get around town, they just get worse gas mileage and are heavier.

I tell everyone who is thinking about buying a Ducati, to get the newest one they can afford. Ducati's biggest issue is not related to mileage, its related to age. If you can afford a year old used 848, get it! You'd be shocked how many of them are out there and its a very good bike, I love mine.

In terms of riding, you'll find the wet clutch of the 848 a smoother one and much easier to get off the line. The 848 also gets pretty decent gas mileage (38-42 on mine). You'll also find the 848 a pretty solid bike, its taken my abuse quite well and anything that can take my abuse gets an A+.

Test ride them all, its your decision, but having owned 3 Ducati's in the last 2 years, I'd push towards something newer with a REAL factory Ducati warranty.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
+1 on warranty, did not think about that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The waranty on the 999 is a factory waranty- it was owned by a ducati exec and ducati is treating it like a new bike. I did decide to take the 848 around the test route twice, though...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts