Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know is the battery power only consumed when starting? Does the bike once running not need any power for ignition etc and can happily run with out a battery connected?

·
Registered
198 Posts
The battery provides voltage regulation. Without it, the bus voltage in your bike may exceed the working voltage of many electronics on the bike..if the alternator is charging and you suddenly disconnect the battery you can generate transient voltages as high as 300volts, now this will happen in milliseconds and can only be seen on a oscilloscope but it does happen and can damage the diodes in the rectifier and/or blow the regulator in the charging system. It can also cause faults in electronic controlled engines...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Hammo!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery provides voltage regulation. Without it, the bus voltage in your bike may exceed the working voltage of many electronics on the bike..if the alternator is charging and you suddenly disconnect the battery you can generate transient voltages as high as 300volts, now this will happen in milliseconds and can only be seen on a oscilloscope but it does happen and can damage the diodes in the rectifier and/or blow the regulator in the charging system. It can also cause faults in electronic controlled engines...
Hammo, just to clarify my idiot question a little further, if my bike was started and running, then would no battery power, bad gen or reg, the bike would still run?

The reason I ask is that I am currently running it on either a rooted generator or badly installed new regulator, and just charging up the battery over night to get some riding in before I leave in a few days. It seems to run fine until the battery discharges....

Please educate the idiot here :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hammo, just to clarify my idiot question a little further, if my bike was started and running, then would no battery power, bad gen or reg, the bike would still run?

The reason I ask is that I am currently running it on either a rooted generator or badly installed new regulator, and just charging up the battery over night to get some riding in before I leave in a few days. It seems to run fine until the battery discharges....

Please educate the idiot here :)
A lot of race / track bikes run like this all the time. Take the starter and genny off for less weight and drag. Not great for the road though.

Put a multi meter across the batt before / during / and after starting

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts