Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from idle to about 4k its jerks around alot but not all the time, when i floor the bike its smooth and fast and sounds good, also when its idleing it is also pretty smooth, is this normal to surge so much when i am crusing, it almost sounds like its missing?? do i need a carb sync, valve adjustment, spark plugs, new fuel filter??? or would i be waisting money as this is "normal" for these bikes, and i have owned over 15 croch rockets and this bike has class and style like no other, i love it, and everyone checks it out, i love it.... its a 1991 mint cond 900ss with full fairing and yellow frame, if that helps with a answer..thanks...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not mine

I'm also new to the SS (98 model) but mine is sweet at any rpm. It shakes a bit below 3500 - 4000, but if you open the throttle it's takeofftime.

Thats with DP cans, open airbox and a jet kit.

·
Registered
609 Posts
what kind of gearing are you currently running? if it has the stock 37 rear tooth sprocket may I sugguest a 39 or larger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
califblue said:
what kind of gearing are you currently running? if it has the stock 37 rear tooth sprocket may I sugguest a 39 or larger.
i am not sure what this has to do with the fact that if i hold the throttle in one spot when i am cruizing it jerks alittle bit at lower rpms, but i am guess i need to take it in to have the carbs syncd up i just was hopeing someone had this problem before and can help....i dont like to just spend money and have that not be the problem

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
ericdiver said:
i am not sure what this has to do with the fact that if i hold the throttle in one spot when i am cruizing it jerks alittle bit at lower rpms, but i am guess i need to take it in to have the carbs syncd up i just was hopeing someone had this problem before and can help....i dont like to just spend money and have that not be the problem
some peoples surging issues have to do with gear ratio and the sweet spot of the throttle range...which this may or may not be a case of...which is why you asked people who have the same bike for their responses....maybe give some level of creedance to them if you will before you decide to discount it and go look at some other issue(s) and piss of the people whom you are asking of who may decide not to help you out next time....just my 0.02 FWIW!....also BTW...you mention the bike...but you don't mention milage or mods which can be a factor in this equation just as much!

·
Registered
610 Posts
wow thats a mouth full. I noticed surge on my new 06 749 dark. I just figgured it was me hitting the "sweet spot" or were the power band really hits in. I rode some more, changed my idle speed, forgot about it, now I just fly past the sweet spot to the "pull me over" spot! Ya, I don't know if spending money on this is the way to go. May be you need to reevalute the way you are riding the motor. Back off and ride like a gra'ma, or ride it like you own it! Some were in between you'll find the motor is trying to compensate for your weak wrist!!!! Just my2 pennies

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok.... i was not being rude mr sensitive, but it does it from a stop to about 3k in rpm this in not one little spot i thought that was clear in the first post....and i guess i am forgetting that this is not like a mustang forum where everyone works on there own cars and i would have gotten 10 great responces like, yes its the carbs, or you need the valves adjusted, I am just trying to advoid guessing at what it could be, loose linkage, I know these bikes like to rattle apart, so i just wondering if anyone else had this issue, but i guess people that own ducatis are all rich folk that take it everything to the dealer....

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
ericdiver said:
ok.... i was not being rude mr sensitive, but it does it from a stop to about 3k in rpm this in not one little spot i thought that was clear in the first post....and i guess i am forgetting that this is not like a mustang forum where everyone works on there own cars and i would have gotten 10 great responces like, yes its the carbs, or you need the valves adjusted, I am just trying to advoid guessing at what it could be, loose linkage, I know these bikes like to rattle apart, so i just wondering if anyone else had this issue, but i guess people that own ducatis are all rich folk that take it everything to the dealer....
there are alot of folks that work on their bikes here...and they don't JUST rattle apart unless you let it get to that point through a lack of maintenance and negligence...but there are certain variables which you haven't taken out of the equation still...and no...you weren't clear on exactly your hesitation issue and where you were experiencing it till now.....the thing that still would be beneficial to know though for example is...what milage are you at?...when was the last major maintenance done to it?...did the previous owner ride the bike alot or just occasionally?....does it have flatsides carbs on it?....what size?...with or without velocity stacks?...what other mods?...opened airbox?....exhaust modded?....these are important pieces of the puzzle to help narrow things down in guesstimation of what you might be experiencing.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
how old is the chain??? how worn are the sprockets??? do you lube the chain?? are their any tight spots in the chain??

50 cents on the chain...

Sorry we didn't meet your expectations... hope you have better luck with another post in the future.

Mal

·
Registered
141 Posts
Could be a number of things as other posters have pointed out. Get yourself back to a baseline - check and adjust valves - makes sure the belts are ok - chain and sprockets the same - adjust and synch carbs - check and gap or replace plugs - check, clean replace air cleaner.

Then ride it and see how it behaves.

Keep in mind that carbed SS's (really any 2 valve Ducati) are not happy when under 3k.

·
Registered
145 Posts
"Keep in mind that carbed SS's (really any 2 valve Ducati) are not happy when under 3k."

My '92 sure isn't. That's why the original question asked of you was about gearing... The larger rear sprocket will bring your revs up for a given speed.... better ridability (I know a 39T is pretty high on my list).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks Zoom,

you never answered my original question, what gearing are you currently running?

and while your at it answer all the other question that were asked...there is whole lot of knowledge on this board and with out finding out all the variables we can not pin point it like on your Mustang board

P.S. I do all of my own wrenching on all my vehicles

·
Registered
245 Posts
ericdiver said:
but i guess people that own ducatis are all rich folk that take it everything to the dealer....

And we all know how to spell or at least can afford a dictionary. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DesmoEd said:
And we all know how to spell or at least can afford a dictionary. :D
thats funny but i dont need a dictionary, there is a spell check button on the bottom if i cared i would use it, i dont understand why so many people on forums find it funny to correct someones spelling, WHO GIVES A F, and FYI, i dont think i spelt anything wrong i just for got to add the AND in there smart ass.... but now where getting somewhere with the others, i am not trying to be a jerk, but i have never owned a duc and I would like to learn from the wise on this forum....thats it, I dont want to get the carbs synced and valves done up and find the exact same problem, i would be pissed off....the bike has 8400 miles, in near mint shape and i have yet to count the sprocket teeth in the rear, what is stock size?...i noticed some mods to the bike like the clutch cover has holes and has a D on it with like wings, which is not stock and i want to sell that cover because the noise that comes out of the clutch is annoying, but i hear the noise is normal so what ever.... i have some rust in tank not much but around the fittings, maybe i should change the filter and plugs and go from there but its sounding like that is how these bikes runs so i will just keep it above 3k, but its sounds cool when your cruizing at low rpms.... OH it has a custom exhaust, now on street bikes (ninja) if its a slip on it does not matter, if its full headers then you have to jet it...is that the same with these bikes???? when i am in a parking lot it jerks alot when just trying to cruise around at 5 mph and that just does not seem normal to me....but on the freeway its great and has tons of torque

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oldduc said:
Could be a number of things as other posters have pointed out. Get yourself back to a baseline - check and adjust valves - makes sure the belts are ok - chain and sprockets the same - adjust and synch carbs - check and gap or replace plugs - check, clean replace air cleaner.

Then ride it and see how it behaves.

Keep in mind that carbed SS's (really any 2 valve Ducati) are not happy when under 3k.
I have new timing belts on the way kelvar ones, and new plugs going in tonight, i dont know about the carbs and valves, i have the shop manual in 4 different languages I might do that myself, took air cleaner out and still saw a lot of light through it, adjusted chain to specs , i am leaning toward that fuel filter i read about the rust issues and then checked mine out, but why would it idle fine and rev fine, but just run right from 1k-3k?? could i have loose linkage??? I am going to check all connections when i do the belt and plugs, getting to the carbs is a pain in a A$$ it looks like i have to take it all apart to get to it.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
ericdiver said:
when i am in a parking lot it jerks alot when just trying to cruise around at 5 mph and that just does not seem normal to me....
Unfortunately, that is the reality of Ducati!

Ducati's come from Italy, where no-one cruises around at 5 MPH, they lane split at 50 MPH! (I live five miles from the border, so I'm used to it). And if you think that's bad, around Paris they do it at twice the speed! (peripherique, anyone!?)

If you have to do much below 20MPH, expect to slip the clutch a lot. And, as others have mentioned, lower gearing is in order.

If I really want to plod along, I use one of my Guzzis!

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
st2lemans said:
Unfortunately, that is the reality of Ducati!

Ducati's come from Italy, where no-one cruises around at 5 MPH, they lane split at 50 MPH! (I live five miles from the border, so I'm used to it). And if you think that's bad, around Paris they do it at twice the speed! (peripherique, anyone!?)

If you have to do much below 20MPH, expect to slip the clutch a lot. And, as others have mentioned, lower gearing is in order.

If I really want to plod along, I use one of my Guzzis!

Tom
Thats exactly what i want to hear, i am so used to inline four jap bikes that if this is normal than fine, i just dont want to chase a problem that cant be fixed THANKS..... I will just drive it like i stole it.... and driving a duc is like my driving my saleen everyone is jealous...

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
ericdiver said:
Thats exactly what i want to hear, i am so used to inline four jap bikes that if this is normal than fine, i just dont want to chase a problem that cant be fixed THANKS..... I will just drive it like i stole it....
I've only been into Ducatis since 2003, and that's my experience, but maybe mine suck! Also, my SS100DS is almost Guzzi-like in it's ability to plod along at sub-3k revs, but my ST2 hates it. And my Guzzis are both twin-plugged, which definitely helped the low-end, so maybe that's why the DS is better than the ST2!?

Oh, and the clutches suck when trying to launch quickly!

Tom

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.