Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

So I am new to the forum and have a newbie question.

I am about to buy a used 2007 GT1000 and was wondering what I should be looking for in regard to issues, problems, sore spots with the bike and so on.

I have been riding for many year so am in no way a newbie to that, just one to Ducati.

Any input or advice that you guys can give me on this bike is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Usual checks on wheels, tyres, alignment etc. Service record is important with a Ducati. They like being ridden often & serviced according to the schedule. Official schedule for cam beltchanges is 2 years or 7,500 miles.

Many of us have modded our bikes, have a look via the search facility on this site & check out wheels, suspension, brakes. This is an each to his/her own area to a large extent. Might be worth a chat with the previous owner (if you're considering a private sale) to discuss any mods he/she may have made.

The Sport Classic range may be considered a blank canvas from which you can express your own interpretation of a very nice bike. You may also develop skills you never knew you had when it comes to being inventive with excuses for spending money on a new addiction!

If the bike is standard, it's probably worth riding it for a while to help decide what mods (if any) you wish to make.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Start it, see how it idles.. Check for rust on oil line cables. Check for rust on spokes of wheels. Usually an indicater if the bike was left outside.

See if tank moves left or right, pull up on it a little. If theres alot of play in it its probably expanded and needs to be replaced. Depending on mileage ask about services.

You could take the seat off and check the all the wires and the voltage regulator.

These bikes are pretty sound im my experience. Have an 07GT and besides some minor tank issues its been flawless.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Good advice from FareWarning. The tank expansion referred to has been linked to petrol with an increased ethanol content. We don't yet have such fuel where I live & I don't know about Edmonton/Alberta.

My GT1000 is a 2007 & I've been very happy with the bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the information.

So what I am gathering is that there are few problems with this bike, the 2 main issues being a steering dampener and the gas tank issue.

I will be sure to check the tank and look into a steering dampener for it then...will be purchasing tomorrow and I can't wait for the new ride.

Something tells me that my BMW is going to be spending some quality time in the garage for the next while.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Thank you for the information.

So what I am gathering is that there are few problems with this bike, the 2 main issues being a steering dampener and the gas tank issue...
Not sure I'd put the steering dampener (or rather, the need for one) in the top 2. Many of us have had thousands of trouble-free miles without one. Maybe if you plan on riding agressively a dampener is a must-have - along with a suspension and wheel upgrade. Otherwise, I'd put the low speed fueling issue (most cheaply solved by a Fat Duc O2 manipulator), and voltage regulator/rectifier problems ahead of steering in terms of common complaints.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Is the bike in standard spec or has it been modified?

As a 2007 bike you may find the bike has been modded by previous owner(s).
e.g. If the bike has the Termignoni kit then you won't need the Fat Duc O2 manipulator.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new bike. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Ask the previous owner or the local Ducati dealer if the fuel line clamps at the fuel pump in the tank have been replaced. Otherwise you may become stranded. There's a service bulletin on this and the parts and labor are free.

Opinions on steering dampers vary. I feel dampers address a symptom on the GT and not the problem. Lighter wheels and properly set up stock or adjustable front forks should be fine in all but track environs. IMO. Plus you get a dramatically better handling bike 100% of the time.

Have fun.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Opinions on steering dampers vary. I feel dampers address a symptom on the GT and not the problem. Lighter wheels and properly set up stock or adjustable front forks should be fine in all but track environs. IMO. Plus you get a dramatically better handling bike 100% of the time.
I'm sure 1db's point is correct. But for the way I ride the GT I've found no need to do either. I simply keep a loose hold on the hand grips, bent elbows, and support my (ample) weight with my torso instead of via my arms and the bars. I've never had anything but a small and altogether normal 'dance' of the bars -- even when I've pushed hard on very poor pavement.

Feel your way slowly with the bike. Each of us has different expectations and needs. And most of all... enjoy! :)

-don

·
Registered
66 Posts
Buy one, You will be pleasantly surprised how the bike makes you feel as a bike owner in comparison to other makes. Even though they may need some tweaking to handle better, its part of the experience.:D Good Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a 2007 GT 1000 that I've ridden daily for most of the past 5 years--mostly commuting around Seattle, but a few trips in Western WA and NW Oregon.

I've only had three serious issues that needed to be corrected:

1) The clamps holding the fuel line onto the fuel pump (quickly fixed early on under warranty)

2) The tank swelling and loosening off of the mounting knobs (I'm on my third tank--likely heading toward my fourth--all under warranty and without quibble or question). If I get a fourth tank I'm seriously considering having my dealer, Ducati Seattle, send it out for coating at my expense before mounting. I would also consider spending some bucks on a very high quality steel or aluminum tank but so far those are not available--at least not available for less than $3000+++.

3) At about 10,000 miles the front brakes failed to properly release--this required replacement under warranty--only problem--it took two months to get the parts from Brembo in Italy

Modifications that I personally feel are essential, BUT that are very much a matter of taste:

Replaced the stock pipes with Staintunes

Replaced the standard mirrors with CRG bar end mirrors

Replaced the stock tires with Bridgestone BT-016s, and now Michelin Pilot Road 3s

Lowered the final drive gear ratio (first just by installing a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket, later by going to a 15 tooth with a larger rear wheel sprocket---maybe better for chain life?) As everyone here will tell you for most around town riding the standard drive ratio is taller than the ideal

First I put in a FatDuc--which is the best cheap fix for low speed fueling funkiness--but later I had the engine custom dynotuned and mapped with the necessary electronic gear to do that--done by Ducati Seattle and it transformed the engine feel--smooth everywhere and more HP and torque throughout the range. We opened up the airbox at the same time.

Things I haven't gotten around to yet but that I will eventually address:

Replace the stock steel wheels with triple black Alpinas

Replace the stock brakes and discs with either Brembo or Discaciatti upgrades

Replace the stock shocks with, well I haven't decided

Fix the front forks, either with new springs and cartridge or by replacing with either Showas or Ohlins

(My other bike is a Triumph Street Triple R--so my expectations for handling have been raised--in any case if you are going to do a lot of riding over anything other than perfectly maintained road surfaces you'll eventually want to do something about the suspension and wheels.

Enjoy!

Steve

This is all my experience of course

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Hey there,

So I am new to the forum and have a newbie question.

I am about to buy a used 2007 GT1000 and was wondering what I should be looking for in regard to issues, problems, sore spots with the bike and so on...
Hey, is your heart set on a GT? Cuz if it's not, why don't you swap with this person? That way he gets a 2-up bike and you get a LE. Win/win.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for all of the great responses and advice.

Here is a picture of her on the showroom floor the day I picked her up.

Thanks again.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts