Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have questions for our New Zealand contingent about travel there.

First, if you were to give advise to an American planning to travel there (besides stay home!) 馃槀 what would you tell them?

If you have a preference, North Island or South Island? To stay I mean, not just visit. IE if said American were planning to relocate there permanently.

How difficult is it to transit between North and South Island? One would assume there is some sort of ferry system but I don鈥檛 like to assume.

What鈥檚 the average cost of a home there? Rural one preferred but within a reasonable drive to a major metropolitan area.

How is the riding there? By that I mean road conditions, traffic, tasty curves etc.

Any other advise or considerations is welcome. Thanks for your time in advance.....sean

Registered
08 Hypermotard 1100s.
I have questions for our New Zealand contingent about travel there.

First, if you were to give advise to an American planning to travel there (besides stay home!) 馃槀 what would you tell them?

If you have a preference, North Island or South Island? To stay I mean, not just visit. IE if said American were planning to relocate there permanently.

How difficult is it to transit between North and South Island? One would assume there is some sort of ferry system but I don鈥檛 like to assume.

What鈥檚 the average cost of a home there? Rural one preferred but within a reasonable drive to a major metropolitan area.

How is the riding there? By that I mean road conditions, traffic, tasty curves etc.

Any other advise or considerations is welcome. Thanks for your time in advance.....sean
Hey Sean,

A lot of questions there!

I'll answer as much as I can. I'm originally from the UK.

North Island is warmer but wetter

South Island is dryer but colder.

Ferry between the two Islands

Plenty of airports and flights between the two (post covid??)

We only have one real Metro and that's Auckland, approx 2 million people. There's only 5 million in the whole country.

Plenty of great roads to ride

Where you live depends on what you want, you can go very rural and pay peanuts for a house. Or more urban and pay more. Auckland is VERY expense to live.

I live in a suburb of Auckland and you would expect to pay $NZ 1m for a fairly good 3 bed house

Any questions either ask away or pm me

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, I thank you for taking the time to respond.

I鈥檇 have to ask you to define peanuts. What Is that in context to a $1M 3 bedroom home?

With regard to that 3 bedroom....how many Sq feet or meters is that?

I鈥檒l try to ask fewer questions at a time 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Move to Australia, most kiwis have already..........

SE QLD, no place better
I've considered it. I have family in Sydney and Melbourne...and a few other places out in the bush.

If I were to move to Oz....I'd likely go to Melbourne. I really liked Brisbane...but not sure I wanna live there. I have a bunch of cousins who grew up in Sydney and they all live in Melbourne now. That says a lot to me.

I have an Uncle and Aunt in Leichardt which I really liked for it's "little Italy" feel. Also an Aunt and Uncle in Paramatta which I also enjoyed. Just too in the city for me....sean

Registered
Move to Australia, most kiwis have already..........

SE QLD, no place better
Move to Australia ?
I thought the North and South Islands were the two most easterly states of Australia anyway.
Australia seems to claim anything half decent from over the ditch, so we may as well just claim the whole place.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Registered
Where I live, when I go for a weekday ride, I do about 60 - 70 miles, outside of the towns I will see 1 or 2 cars on the road. It's colder and wetter down here, Summer 14 - 25 deg C, Winter -5 to 15 deg C, average annual rainfall in Invercargill is 42", in Fiordland 2hrs away the annual average is up to 315" and rains 200 days a year, it is an uninhabited wilderness though. Within a 3 hour drive we have Mountains, Lakes, Off road areas, deep sea fishing, diving, hunting (We have tough Firearms laws) (Gamebirds, 4 types of Deer, Thar, Chamois, Pigs, and small game) World class Fresh water fishing, Golf Clubs, Mountain Bike areas, beaches, Motorcycle and Transport Museums, Cycling Velodrome and lots more. Housing can be cheap if you are not fussy, but a lifestyle block of about 15 - 20 Acres with a 4 bedroom house is about NZ$750K to $1M, depends what you want to where you live. We've probably got it all covered in NZ, just smaller than you guys, so where you live probably depends on what you want out of life.

Premium Member
Wear sunscreen. UV down there is whole different level then up on the northern hemisphere

Registered
I thought they had some pretty tight restrictions on moving to NZ, or OZ for that matter.
One cannot simply walk into Mordor.

Super Moderator
I'm interested too. My wife and I have booked a tour for January 2021 with South Pacific Motorcycle Tours. The tour is on the South Island. We're really hoping that the COVID pandemic is under control by then!

Registered
08 Hypermotard 1100s.
First, I thank you for taking the time to respond.

I鈥檇 have to ask you to define peanuts. What Is that in context to a $1M 3 bedroom home?

With regard to that 3 bedroom....how many Sq feet or meters is that?

I鈥檒l try to ask fewer questions at a time 馃榿
Try and ignore the Ozies, must of us do anyway.

I can only really tell you about Auckland. But in the less desirable areas you could buy the same house for 500-600k

Probably the average land that a house is built on (again witin Akl) is 600-800 sq metres. Not sure what that is in feet.

Registered
Wear sunscreen. UV down there is whole different level then up on the northern hemisphere
Agreed, in Summer under a clear sky, a fair-skinned person will burn in 10 to 15 minutes.

Registered
Probably the average land that a house is built on (again witin Akl) is 600-800 sq metres. Not sure what that is in feet.
Calculator says that is 6458 - 8611 Square feet. so I guess you are talking about land area not house size.
That is a quite large house, or an average sizre lot around here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a quite large house, or an average sizre lot around here.
That鈥檚 probably about what a lot in a development here is California is. If I went with the smallest lot size of 600 Sq Meters that would be what, 30 meters x 20 meters? So right around 100 ish feet by 65 ish feet. That鈥檚 about what I live on right now. A wee bit bigger actually.

$1M NZD equals $650K USD so that鈥檚 staggeringly expensive unless those measurements are the footprint of the house.

I don鈥檛 hunt and rarely go fishing. Like once every 20 or 25 years. I don鈥檛 golf either. I鈥檇 rather take my wife out to eat at a nice place than smack a little white ball all over the lawn.

No, my hobbies more or less revolve around 2 wheels. I ride MTB once in a while but mostly I pedal on the road. I do anywhere from 40 to 60 miles a week most weeks.

When I鈥檓 not doing that or working, I ride motorcycles, watch motorcycles race, or wrench on motorcycles.

When I can fit it in between all that, I work on my house or in the yard. Or surf the web. Kinda like right now

Registered
That鈥檚 probably about what a lot in a development here is California is. If I went with the smallest lot size of 600 Sq Meters that would be what, 30 meters x 20 meters? So right around 100 ish feet by 65 ish feet. That鈥檚 about what I live on right now. A wee bit bigger actually.

$1M NZD equals $650K USD so that鈥檚 staggeringly expensive unless those measurements are the footprint of the house.
I'm in the San Fernando Valley of L.A. That lot size is typical for an older tract house, Newer stufff is infill and on tiny lots.
Our place is on an ~ 8,000 SF loot, and the house is 3+2 just over 1400 SF. Built in 1956, has a 2012 kitchen. Plus 2 car garage. Maybe not worth $650USD, but over $600 for sure. Pretty close to the median price here. If you want staggeringly expensive, look at Beverly Hills, Santa Monca, Pacific Palisades, etc etc. $1Mil USD may not even cover or come close to the land value. Eeek.

Sounds like major cities in NZ or OZ are not cheap either.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I live in Fairfield, California right on the edge of the San Francisco Bay Area. We're kind of more rural than urban but definitely not out in the country. I live right on the edge of town, it's less than a half mile from my house to Hwy 80.

My house sits on a lot that's about 65 feet by 90 feet. It's a 4 bedroom, 1680 sq ft and built in 1976. About the only thing good I can say about it is, I only owe $190K on it now, and it was framed with redwood when it was built. That, and it's now worth more than I owe. But it ain't worth $600K.

That kind of dough gets you quite a large, new home (over 2500 sq ft) in a new subdivision. My house, last time I checked was worth around $320K. Might be a little more now but certainly not in the half million dollar range. No where near it. When I see a lot size, that is not substantially bigger than what I have, for over double what mine is currently worth....well.....that's staggeringly expensive to me.

From where I live now, I can be at the beach in about an hour. Less if I take a motorcycle. I can be in the Sierras in roughly 2 hours, less if I take the bike. I'm only 50 miles from San Francisco, and the same from Sacramento. More importantly to me though, I can be on some nice twisty roads in around 10 minutes...15 if there's traffic.

I'm not looking to trade this kind of location for anything less. I retire in 15 years at 68. My current house will be paid off the year I retire. I have not made a final decision on where I'd move to if I reach the point where I'm just done with living here. New Zealand is pretty much the top of my list right now and has been for some time. Hence my questions and desire to find out more about the place. I can't think of a better way than to ask those who live there.....sean

Registered
08 Hypermotard 1100s.
That's land area. Obviously there's smaller newer houses on plots that are more like 15-300 sqm. Yes, Auckland is staggeringly expensive for homes. The rest of the country is way more reasonable.

NZ is great for outdoors, MTB is big here. Motorbikes are obviously big here as well.

South Island is less populated. But stunning, its a cliche but its basically LOTRs!

North Island is still amazing though. Wellington is very vibrant city. New Plymouth is cool with Mt Cook right there. Taupo is stunning. And further north Bay of Islands etc.

How will you get here? By that I mean a working visa? Do you have family connections? NZ can be tough to get into.

Registered
I live in Fairfield, California right on the edge of the San Francisco Bay Area. We're kind of more rural than urban but definitely not out in the country. I live right on the edge of town, it's less than a half mile from my house to Hwy 80.

My house sits on a lot that's about 65 feet by 90 feet. It's a 4 bedroom, 1680 sq ft and built in 1976. About the only thing good I can say about it is, I only owe $190K on it now, and it was framed with redwood when it was built. That, and it's now worth more than I owe. But it ain't worth $600K.

That kind of dough gets you quite a large, new home (over 2500 sq ft) in a new subdivision. My house, last time I checked was worth around $320K. Might be a little more now but certainly not in the half million dollar range. No where near it. When I see a lot size, that is not substantially bigger than what I have, for over double what mine is currently worth....well.....that's staggeringly expensive to me.

From where I live now, I can be at the beach in about an hour. Less if I take a motorcycle. I can be in the Sierras in roughly 2 hours, less if I take the bike. I'm only 50 miles from San Francisco, and the same from Sacramento. More importantly to me though, I can be on some nice twisty roads in around 10 minutes...15 if there's traffic.

I'm not looking to trade this kind of location for anything less. I retire in 15 years at 68. My current house will be paid off the year I retire. I have not made a final decision on where I'd move to if I reach the point where I'm just done with living here. New Zealand is pretty much the top of my list right now and has been for some time. Hence my questions and desire to find out more about the place. I can't think of a better way than to ask those who live there.....sean

Unless you have significant cash reserves hidden away you're probably out of luck, the higher your age, the more cash you need because the guvmints expect you to be self sufficient, i think Australia requires a surety of 750k after you're established unless you have a valid passport or a well heeled sponsor.
Can't image Mew Zealand being any different, likely harsher because of the smaller population and therefore, infrastructure.

You might get in under a skills shortage hiring program but your age will work against you as well, they give concessions on the minimum requirements but you have to sign on and stay for X amount of time in the industry you're qualified in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Huh. So I have to have 3/4 of million dollars just to emigrate? Sounds crazy to me. I will be well set in retirement but that sounds ridiculous.

Registered
08 Hypermotard 1100s.
I'm afraid loony888 is right. I'm pretty sure to be granted a no limits visa here it's actually $5m

The only ways to get in is to have a shortage skill, but you'd still need a firm job offer. Start a business. Or have someone i.e. family to sponsor you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts