Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,492 Posts
The front left knife in that big case is a Tuna Valley (GEC) 3 blade Rail Splitter made with Mammoth tusk Ivory scales and hand engraved nickel bolsters. It is 1 of 25 made. Tuna Valley was supposed to be GEC's premium brand but that branch of the company didnt last long. Some say it was mismanaged others say the expected quality missed the mark and collectors were disappointed. Who really knows why TV was dicontinued but the knives are really hard to find today and models were all made in very limited quantities. Either way it is a stand-out in my collection and one that I'll always covet.

·
Bon Vivant
10,492 Posts
I have a collection of mostly pocket knives, a few fixed blades and military. My main interest is easy opening knives, automatics or one hand openers. I don’t normally buy expensive knives because I lose whatever I’m carrying pretty often. Someone seems to come out with a new design self opener every year or two and I’m a sucker every time. I also have quite a few antique knives that I pick up at yard sales or whatever. It’s a sickness. Half the time I don’t even carry one.
I always carry at least 2 knives at all times. One modern flipper and always a swiss army knife. Guess which one gets used most often. I dont carry any of my collectable knives. , I've had a swiss army knife in my pocket for close to 50 years.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
I have a small obsidian blade and elk hilt knife made by an Apache craftsman in the Black Hills. I would never actually use it but it really is sharp as hell.

·
Official Retired Person
7,171 Posts
My beautiful bride bought me a stainless Swiss Army knife about 20 years ago. I too, always have that in my pocket. I'm no collector though so all my other knives are used for eating!

Not making light of either of you gentlemen I just don't collect knives.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I dont mean to rain on yer parade. Edged weapons are part of my training. Iam fascinated simply because its a quiet weapon. I need to equate shit to a non combat civilian world That said, I apologize.
Apologies my friends My brain aint quite rightt....
... threads like this and any new years ~imbibements~ should be avoided and defininitely not ~combined~ by fellas like the likes of us brother .... this is some slipperly slopeage stuff right here ... let's just not and say we did, k?

·
Bon Vivant
10,492 Posts
I got a question. Why do some pocket knives have so many blades?

versatility. That particular knife in your picture is a Boker Carver congress whittler designed specifically for carving or whittling, each one of those blades carves in a different way and with one knife you have a nice set of varied carving tools. Four blade pocket knives are far less common and often quite a bit more expensive. I like multi blade folders
Boker Tree Brand knives made in Solingen Germany are good quality knives with a long history

·
Bon Vivant
10,492 Posts
Here's a pretty good page that explains blade types, knife styles, and common uses for each. Just take everything you read with a grain of salt because most of these blade styles are hundreds of years old and our ideas about them and what they are used for has probably been modified over the years so the original intent may actually be lost to history.

Getting to Know Your Grandpa’s Pocket Knife

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like my Benchmade griptilian. Not fancy like you guys but its great in the woods and will clean a deer fast. I also have a swiss army Keychain knife (very very handy for such a small size) and a generic but well made OTF auto knife. It sharpens like a razor and holds its edge well. I carry those 2 knives every day.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I don't hunt much anymore but I'm still butchering pigs/cows occasionally (I'll buy a pig or half a cow for the freezer). I don't use the fancy little ones for skinning or butchering - to be honest this is what I use the most for real work (freshly sharpened of course):
IMG_2695.JPG

Not glamorous but effective - I've had that set of Henkels for 30 years.

I have used this before too but I find the bigger fixed blade knives make quicker work of skinning and separating:

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I got a question. Why do some pocket knives have so many blades?

I really like that archback 4 blade design... I have a little kabar that's basically the same design (though it's very small):

21 - 33 of 33 Posts