Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Redlines aren't the first misrepresentation

And the Japanese 600s weigh 370# dry, too. Right.

I guess the competition is so fierce in the supersports 600 class that the manufacturers will do just about anything to gain an advantage, including lie.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just hate how yamahas and GSXR's are every where. They are good bikes but its just annoying to see so many. I mean how many blue gixers have I seen this wee, at least 5. How many ducatis have I seen, 00000

·
Registered
463 Posts
Justin187 said:
I just hate how yamahas and GSXR's are every where. They are good bikes but its just annoying to see so many. I mean how many blue gixers have I seen this wee, at least 5. How many ducatis have I seen, 00000
I like not seeing alot of Ducatis.:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
BOO HOO only sixteen thousand RPMs

I have one due to arrive in a few days, no where near as exclusive as a Duc, but will be fairly limited in numbers for a Japanese bike and will be a good reliable ride with fairly low maintenance. Unfortunately the R6 will only rev to 17.5K with a racing eprom. The stock engine is in fact capable of revving to 17.5k, but I imagine that Yamaha is concerned about long term reliability of the valves and springs. I will be installing the chip once the engine is broken in and suposedly the tach that gives a false reading of 17,500 with the stock chip will read 18,500 with the racing chip, may not be for real, but fun just to see the needle that high. Will let you guys know how it compares to my modified 749S.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the peak hp was produced around 15-15.5k, after which the power falls off. I can't really imagine why you would need the overrev since you aren't producing any additional power; you are better off shifting earlier rather than holding the gear into overrev.

·
Registered
93 Posts
well yeah the power falls off but if you are only getting what another 600 rpm past the redline... what if you want to hold it in gear and not get off power to shift for the last squirt before you get on the brakes. The power doesnt just drop after 15.5k so sometimes it makes sense to hold it in gear instead of shifting. The whole 17.5k was their main selling point, its on the cover of every magazine out there and now it cant do it. F the R6 in the A. They blatantly misled everyone about it, and that irritates me.

Ryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah Don't get me wrong. That would be bike I would get if I was not to get a ducati. I also have always been a fan of the 636, which I never see either. That is still know reason to not buy one. buy what you want, you know?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Be careful what you ask for.....

The more the 600s go for race track glory, the more useless they are for street duty. Simply put, a street rider would never use 17,500 revs (or 16,200); only a race track straightaway allows for that kind of usage.

For the street, including serious corner carving, I'll take an SS and its broad spread of torque everytime.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
rz33v4 said:
The more the 600s go for race track glory, the more useless they are for street duty. Simply put, a street rider would never use 17,500 revs (or 16,200); only a race track straightaway allows for that kind of usage.

For the street, including serious corner carving, I'll take an SS and its broad spread of torque everytime.
Have you ever ridden a 600 on the street??
I agree that for corner carving the torquey bikes are more fun, but the R6 is a blast as well. My 02 R6 redlines at 15500!!!! I have no trouble making use of all of it when riding hard on the street. Granted to do that you have to be really riding the piss out of the bike, but you have to keep in mind that a 600 is much like a 2 stroke bike it makes power off revs. So if you want to keep up with a 1000 RR coming out of a corner you have to go in way hotter and come out with the bike reving atleast 8000 rpms. For my R6 optimal is 13000, It has a drop in power at 15000 and really it peaks at 12500 or so. I still find that the top end of the tach is useful and needed if you want to ride a 600 fast. If its used right I feel that I can ride a 600 faster than a 1000 it just more work.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Jamie,

Yes, I rode a 636 Kawi last year and a Triumph 600 Speed 4 the year before at Daytona (bike demos). I also have a 748R, so I know what its like to ride something with a higher rev ceiling than my 900SS streetbike.

For me, the 748 makes a better track bike, but the SS rules on the street. I really don't care for mega-RPM on the street, as you trade away too much low-end performance at the speeds where you really need to ride, IMO.

One of the many reasons I ride V-twins is their better powertrain match to real street riding situations. Another is bike appearance (The only Japanese bike appearance that has ever interested me is the latest R1), but that's another topic.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well I guess like most thing it really comes down to personal taste. I am with you on the R1 though. that was the first bike in a long time that made me think about getting a new bike, but I really like the 06 R6 as well.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
2006 R6

At the recent Detroit motorcycle show, I took a good look at both the R1 and new R6. I liked the R1 look, as I've already said, but didn't feel that way about the new R6. I find some of the shapes/details discordant and without purpose.

For example, the pieces that flank the headlights look like the beginning of intake scoops, but when you follow the bodywork trail they go nowhere. The taillight/turn signal assembly is obviously designed to be removed for track work, but looks like an afterthought if the owner doesn't remove it.

Looks are subjective, of course, but that one didn't grab me, especially versus my "old" (first sold in 1994) 748. The R6 doesn't hold a candle to that design, IMHO. Not even close.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
exactly.... The 748, 916, 996, & 998 are the best looking bikes ever. Second to that I like the 99-02 R6 and the and third to me is the 01-02 Gsxr 1000.
It a let down every October for me when the new bikes come out. I expect big new things and the best they can do is underseat exhaust!!! Yea sure proformance is great on all the new bikes but what about the rest of the package???

·
Registered
58 Posts
for broad corner carving tourqe i reach for my 90 fzr 400. only redlines at 14k though. nothing but moans below 10k. but screams with 60 hp above that. i wish i had 17.5 revs.

still has a top speed of around 120mph could be more if i just had a 7th gear.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The new R6 is setup to eventually be able to put traction control on it, but they havent come up with the mounting points for the sensors, But this could also be a lie.

Im a big fan of jap. 600's more towards the 05 636 only because i owned one, and I personally like having to ring the shit out of it all the time and the benifit of the wider rev range, and i also love the Ducatis too nothing beats the handling and sound of the Ducati.

All in all every bike has its ups and downs it all just depends on what would you rather have more of.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
kingsnake1650 said:
Have you ever ridden a 600 on the street??
I agree that for corner carving the torquey bikes are more fun, but the R6 is a blast as well. My 02 R6 redlines at 15500!!!! I have no trouble making use of all of it when riding hard on the street. Granted to do that you have to be really riding the piss out of the bike, but you have to keep in mind that a 600 is much like a 2 stroke bike it makes power off revs. So if you want to keep up with a 1000 RR coming out of a corner you have to go in way hotter and come out with the bike reving atleast 8000 rpms. For my R6 optimal is 13000, It has a drop in power at 15000 and really it peaks at 12500 or so. I still find that the top end of the tach is useful and needed if you want to ride a 600 fast. If its used right I feel that I can ride a 600 faster than a 1000 it just more work.
MY QUESTION TO YOU IS THIS.......
at 13000 rpm's....what speed are you going in every gear?....because to me it seems ridiculous and inherently dangerous moreso to be up that high in the rev range to be in the peak of power as it were and be doing so on the street.....this means you are going way faster than necessary and probably riding alot of sweepers roads and what I'd call "Baller Runs" that the squids ride their I-4 bikes wrung out unnecessarily and end up drawing attention to sport bikes in general in a more negative light.....maybe it is just me....but I can have a funky good time enjoying the power of the bike down on the low end with my Duc in a twisty back road section and be perfectly within limits and in control without being on the envelope's edge and not having to wring the sh*t oput of my bike or having to be at double the speed limit of the road I'm on just to be in my "peak range"!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Before I move to West Texas I lived in Longview Tx thats east Texas and did most of my riding there. The roads are pretty good actually. Not alot of elevation change but plenty of twisties. Most of our back road are made up of posted 35-50 mph curves there are some roads that have the long sweeping curves posted at 55-65 mph. I can tell by your question that you ride differently from me. I suspect that you cost into a turn light on the throttle and breaks as you apex you probably hammer the gas to get the bike going fast again. I dont ride like that I like to come in as hot as possible and slowly let off the throttle go through the apex with as little or no braking as possible and the clutch being feathered or half pulled in to keep up revs. Then upon exit you hammer out just the same.
As far as 13000 rpms go I have no Idea what speed that translates to in each gear, I guess I never really payed attention to it. You CANT assume though that If Im running high rpms that I must be going ridiculously fast.
I.e Let dissect a 35 mph curve on a decent back road. Lets say that I have a little straight before the curve and I get up to 115mph that is probably 4th maybe 5th gear. When then going into the the curve I will down shift to 2nd and stay on the gas and feather the clutch go through the curve somewhere around 70-75 mph. On exit Drop the clutch an hammer the throttle.
on my Ducati I can do the same thing only I dont have to shift down 2 gears or feather the clutch.
That how I do it. there are people out there that are faster than I am that are probably doing it differently... I dont know. What I do know is that there are people out there on bigger fast bike that can keep up with me on the R6

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
How's the 749 compare to the R6???

If I was to buy a Japanese bike, that's the bike I'd get...I think...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts