Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been sniffin' around looking for the best price on a Yamaha R1 Voltage Regulator (PN# FH012AA) to do the MOSFET VR upgrade. Most used ones run roughly $45 to $60 bucks shipped, far as I can tell.

Then a couple of these showed up ($29.69 shipped! ... NEW).

LINK = https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Regulator-Rectifier-FH012AA-For-Yamaha-YZF-XV-YFM-BMW-Motorboat/322609335835?hash=item4b1d03ce1b:g:IAQAAOSwAVRZdLa4

What do you think? Clone? Real deal? Run like hell?

The sellers have high feedback ratings and thousands of transactions, which is really all you can go by.

I suppose it's totally possible that Yamaha outsources those VRs to a Chinese manufacturer, y'know?

:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Call Jack @ roadstercycle.com

Jack knows the product and sells the quality MOSFET part you need. I have purchased and installed several from him without any drama. Jack answers his phone, handles any questions, and most importantly does exactly what he says he will, which is becoming more and more rare. I wish there were more motorcycle parts vendors who could do the same.

Uli-

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Jack knows the product and sells the quality MOSFET part you need. I have purchased and installed several from him without any drama. Jack answers his phone, handles any questions, and most importantly does exactly what he says he will, which is becoming more and more rare. I wish there were more motorcycle parts vendors who could do the same.

Uli-
Wow ... right on the home page of his website the very first thing is his addressing the fakester Chinese VRs.

Dig this video ....

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Jack knows the product and sells the quality MOSFET part you need.

Uli-
I really owe you a debt of gratitude for informing me about Roadster Cycle. I was ~that close~ to pissing off $30 bucks on a shit VR. While Jack's VR kits are ~roughly~ $150.00 bucks (depending on which kit is purchased), the kits are complete, he knows hims shits, and you have an actual person to deal with that can help with installation and any questions. That all by itself is worth the difference in cost. He's got all of the connectors, pigtails, and mounting brackets in stock that would have to be otherwise sourced.

That video (posted above .. post #3) is very informative!

Thanks so much. I'm glad I posted this thread, and even happier that you participated in it!!!!!

:wink2:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Happy to help.

PS, I have nothing to do with roadstercycle.com other than be a customer. I feel that a vendor that goes out of their way to sell a quality product and have excellent customer service needs to be recognized.

Uli-

·
Registered
127 Posts
@Rex Coil 7 def avoid the Far East copies....and consider upgrading your stator wiring as well. The yellow wire in the pic is factory supplied gauge (18?) I used the pictured 12 gauge the full length....stator to RR eliminating any mid connector.

Doing my Mosfet in 2009 I chose a genuine Shindengen FH010BA used on an older ZX1000. Sourced on Ebay, "pre-owned" for around $50. I then sourced required connectors, voltmeter, wire, etc. and performed a DIY.

Between the uprated wiring, the quality Mosfet and an onboard voltmeter.....10 years later it is still intact and still in service to this very day. I'll admit, *I* made a grounding error during the process...but once corrected its been faultless.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
to clarify...the wiring instruction states connect *3* wires from stator...your SS only has 2 ...connect to any 2 terminals using the weatherproof grey connector shown.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Rex Coil 7 def avoid the Far East copies....and consider upgrading your stator wiring as well. The yellow wire in the pic is factory supplied gauge (18?) I used the pictured 12 gauge the full length....stator to RR eliminating any mid connector.
Already on my list to get done. I've not even looked at where the bloody stator is located yet though!

:D :rolleyes:

I've got plenty of (ready? ... this is a mouthful!) ... Teflon insulated, fiberglass reinforced, 19 strand, pre tinned, oxygen free copper, MilSpec, Aircraft grade wire. (whew!). I use that with "sealant filled" heat shrink tubing.

It's way better around heat than vinyl or PVC insulated wire, and being 19 strand it's more flexible and smaller in outer diameter than 7 strand wire is of the same gauge. I use it in my audio processors and modular synthesizers, I also use it for the power cables inside of synths. It's so tough that it requires very sharp, very precisely adjusted wire strippers to strip the insulation, otherwise you'll just end up tearing it all to hell.

I don't have any 12ga of that stuff on hand, but all you need to do is run a twisted pair of 16ga and you've already created a conductor that has more copper in it than a single strand of 12ga. Being 19 strand, a twisted pair of 16ga won't have a very large outer diameter. That's the beauty of 19 strand aircraft wire! Another benefit is that the fiberglass reinforced Teflon (aka "Tefzel") insulation does not burn back when you solder it (not at all !!). Really great stuff. The USAF specs it for the F16 ... so I reckon it's plenty good enough for synthesizers .... and motorcycles.

At $0.09 cents per foot it's a screamin' deal. $9.00 per 100 foot spool.

Stripping it does require a special technique, combined with really well adjusted, very sharp wire strippers .... you've been advised!

:wink2:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts