Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

New XDiavel Help Please?

11K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  toddhollander 
#1 ·
After lurking for years on the Multi forum, I finally took the Ducati plunge and bought a new Iceberg XDiavel. I need and want a foot forward position and this new XDS is perfect. I've had the bike for a week and have 227 miles on it. (bad weather)
Thinking it was part of the Ducati experience, my "key not detected" warning happened at least 50% of the time with my key in my pocket. No phone or other transmitters around. I did replace the battery and no real improvement. The pin code works just fine. I decided to try the hands free steering lock last night (stupid idea) and it worked perfectly, locking the steering full lock left. Unfortunately it won't unlock! When the bike turns on with the fob, passive key or pin code, the DRL comes on, the dash comes on, and a warning saying "UNLOCK ERROR". I tried a bunch of times, let it rest and tried some more, disconnected the battery, let that rest, reconnected, and nada. The bike is a 26K boat anchor. One week old. First time for the dealer, they came and picked up the bike today. Any thoughts or common experiences that could help me out?
Thanks in advance, i am hoping this is a real fluke and not a portend of things to come. The bike is so much fun. Finally a Ducati for me!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Aren't electronics great?:rolleyes:

Hopefully your Ducati experience is they fix it and you ride happily ever after.
Or at least until you need tires. :eek:

#4 ·
Congratulations on the new bike. I`m 100% sure you will have loads of fun.

Whatever, you do make sure that your key fob is not stored next to any other Wi-Fi items (Cell phone) in the same pocket or bags, panniers, etc.
Naturally that the key fob battery is good to go.
I`m sure other members here will also come up with other great ideas.

#5 ·
Update, I need a whole new "hands free" module and the "special screw" (up front under the tank) and will have to have both keys reprogrammed to match. We are waiting on parts ordered form Italy and no tracking numbers are available as Ducati is moving their warehouses and tracking isn't available? The "special screw is a self shearing, one use, type. Anti theft? Ducati has made point of promising spare parts on their website within 48 hours which apparently might be a bit optimistic. (Ordered last Friday) I was really hoping that the Ducati experience that owners talk about has been changed for the better. Even still, I did buy this bike with my eyes fully open, the test ride seduced me like no other. The motor in this bike is so strong, it had me screaming in my helmet. 0-60 in 2.1 seconds? Then the Brembo M50s, one finger braking with perfect modulation? Holy mother of God, I WANT this bike. I am 6'5" and 225lbs. and at 66yrs. finally need a foot forward position due to crap knees and hips. The stock suspension was bottoming out on my test ride so I even decided to spend whatever it takes for a new rear shock and front suspension tuning on top of the purchase price. I am committed to this Ducati, emotionally and financially, I hope she ends up living up to the promise.
From the Ducati website.......
One of Ducati's main goals is to offer every Ducatista the chance to enjoy unlimited and safe travel all over the world. To achieve this aim, Ducati offers a "fast delivery" original spares service, with delivery in 24/48 hours across 85% of the areas in which it operates. With a distribution network that covers more than 90 countries, thanks to 783 official Dealers and Service Points, choosing a Ducati means you can travel worry-free and in total freedom, wherever the road may take you, and count on capillary support that ensures Ducati quality and professionalism is always close at hand.
Maybe the parts will be here by the end of the week, one can hope!

#6 ·
I wondered about the 48 hour thing but the “within 85%” is their escape clause. No matter how good the product, there’s going to be a small set of people who have a horrible experience. I’d wager that your dealer will get the replacement part soon enough and the bike will be as much fun as your initial test ride. At least we’re not in the middle of peak riding season.

#8 ·
OK, she is home. They finally got it programmed. Apparently they needed two guys to do it! Place the key near the bike, program, "run away" per Ducati's instructions 30ft. Bring it back, do it again.
In any case I don't have the balls right now to try the steering lock!
Tuesday it goes back to the suspension shop for tuning.

#9 ·
Apparently we still have a problem. The key is not detected like half of the time. Took a ride with tools for suspension tuning and this is one of many incidents where the key just isn't detected. I am letting the dealer know so DUCATI can suggest a fix. Maybe a new key? I am glad the pin code and center button works well, though a PITA.

#13 ·
I wonder if the shop guys get any useful data when they hook the computer up to the bike or if guidance from Ducati is to just run down a list of items to replace. Keep us updated on what they recommend next. Maybe the key fobs are next? Since the pin code works, I can’t imagine what else the issue could be.

#15 ·
Yes I do have the red key, and it does work if I hold it next to the left rear side of the seat cowling. I think the key fob is recognized if I hold it there as well. But it doesn't recognize the key in my left pants pocket or left hip jacket pocket half the time. WTF? (Revitt Philly 2 armored jeans, Klim or leather jacket. I am not wearing aluminum foil to hide from aliens.)

In any case do other DUCATI owners who's bikes have "hands free" have and use the key fob w/o problems?? I think all newer Diavels and Multistradas use an electronic keyless system. Do you just keep the fob in your jacket or pants and use it seamlessly? Is this just one of those "they are finicky and all do that?" kind of things and just don't worry about it. Do other owners just never use the steering lock for fear of malfunction leaving them stranded? I was really hoping that after the hands free module was replaced to unlock the steering, the bike would have just been fixed.

I couldn't help but be amazed at the article I read about DUCATI incorporating radar into their new technology for bikes. They want to offer radar based early collision warning and possibly radar guided cruise control! It sure seems just a bit more complicated than a hands free system.........

#17 ·
I think there are 2 systems on the bike, active and passive. The red key is passive and I believe the key fob can work in passive mode if the battery is dead (or not otherwise communicating) and the passive loop (or whatever it’s called) is what’s under the seat. It only works in extremely close proximity, like touching the key to the loop.

My 2014 Multi uses the fob and I haven’t ever had your issue but there are are times when I have to hold my key near the passive loop like when at most gas stations. I also get the odd “battery not detected” while running down the road but it doesn’t cause any ridability issues. It’s annoying but infrequent enough that it doesn’t affect my overall satisfaction with the bike.

#18 ·
My "active" key fob works fine as a "passive" key. I am just putting it by the antenna, lower left seat cowl.
Maybe that's the work around...........still more than a little disappointing on a brand new bike. I wonder if DUCATI will just blow it off or actually follow up.

#19 ·
If you start running into issues with the dealership, I'd contact Ducati customer support directly. Hopefully it doesn't go that far and the dealership can make whatever is necessary happen. Some part is basically defective from the factory and while you can "ride" the bike (eventually) it does not function as Ducati intended so I can't imagine them ignoring it. Stay positive, if you can, the xDiavel is a fantastic machine and while I haven't seen the white in person, I'm sure it's gorgeous.

#23 ·
I have had that "Key not Found" error from time to time on my 2016 XDiavel. Certain gas stations seem to have enough electronic interference present that the bike cannot be started from the key signal after I've refueled the bike, no matter how close to the transmitter I place the key. Same goes for being within close proximity to cell towers. I end up using the PIN just to start the bike and get it away from the interference. I haven't noticed whether my clothing choice makes a difference.
I have about 12K miles on mine, and I love it! I put the Termignoni exhaust on it, and even with the dB killers installed, it still sounds fantastic! Without them, it's just too damned loud. The ECU tune that comes with the Termi's makes the bike even faster! I didn't think it would be so hard to keep the front wheel down on a bike with such a long wheelbase. The XDiavel is a way for me to own a Ferrari or Lamborghini without actually owning one. Enjoy your XDiavel, and I hope you get the key fob issues resolved.

#28 ·
I am using the passive loop and have at least been able get some break in accomplished.

I now have about 1,000 miles on the bike. I did have my 600 mi. service and was charged 2 1/2 hours labor for an oil service and overall check of the bike! I also noticed I was charged $20 for one liter of coolant?
I will ask the service writer on Monday what that was all about. It seems as though if my coolant was leaking on a brand new bike, or underfilled at delivery, that it should be covered under warranty. The service and owner's manual make no mention of replacing the coolant at 600 miles.

I have removed the Penske shock and Penske is going to re-valve it and put on a 450lb. spring as the stock spring was 385 lbs. and I weigh 225 w/o gear. The bike is really fun, but so aggressive. I am looking into the Andreani fork cartridges for the front end. I have called Ducati North America twice to keep them in the loop vis a vis my handsfree parts. As of yesterday, most of the parts haven't even been "picked" yet. I am hoping to get this sorted soon and behind me! I am waiting on the farkles until the bike operates as intended.

I did ride at night a few nights ago and the headlight is pretty good for a stock system. Also rode in the rain for about an hour on the way back from Penske. Used urban mode to try and keep the aggression down. I had dirt and crap all over the bike when she got home, but she cleaned up nicely with another bath.

When all is said and done I think a Russel Day Long Sport saddle is in the future. I don't want to stop riding...........except for fuel.

#32 ·
I was rereading this thread and I was so excited to get my bike back with the handsfree system working properly. Little did I know that two weeks later the bike would throw an IMU fault code and be back at the dealer two weeks after that where it still remains. I really must have the worst luck. Hopefully there are lots of XDSs running around out there with little to no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.