Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have decided to get some OZ wheels and Ohlins rear shock (Motowheels), and upgrade forks with Ohlins internals for my 99 ST4. It has 55,000 miles on it but runs perfect. Debated on getting a newer bike, but nothing out there that interests me for the kind of riding I do. I rode the Mulitstrada and I just dont like the seating position. I had a Hypermotard for awhile, but for me it was boring. Not nearly enough power and when pushed hard on bumpy roads it felt a little unstable, kind of twichy.

I like the way I can drop my shoulder and rail around the turns on the ST. I also do a few long trips every year. It just fits my riding style. I have done the Dzus upgrade, DD headlight, recent paint job and other comfort mods.

Any feedback on the wheel and suspension upgrades? I know the stock wheels are boat anchors, so heavy, so I know the steering should quicken up a bit. But how much? Let me hear your experiences. Have raised the ride height which helped the steering considerably, but it is still a bit heavy.

thanks
Mike

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
The OZ's are so beautiful. I want a set so bad. But my wife said if I ordered a set I'd have to go six months without food or sex.

Decisions, decisions. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
7,733 Posts
Have decided to get some OZ wheels and Ohlins rear shock (Motowheels), and upgrade forks with Ohlins internals for my 99 ST4. It has 55,000 miles on it but runs perfect. Debated on getting a newer bike, but nothing out there that interests me for the kind of riding I do. I rode the Mulitstrada and I just dont like the seating position. I had a Hypermotard for awhile, but for me it was boring. Not nearly enough power and when pushed hard on bumpy roads it felt a little unstable, kind of twichy.

I like the way I can drop my shoulder and rail around the turns on the ST. I also do a few long trips every year. It just fits my riding style. I have done the Dzus upgrade, DD headlight, recent paint job and other comfort mods.

Any feedback on the wheel and suspension upgrades? I know the stock wheels are boat anchors, so heavy, so I know the steering should quicken up a bit. But how much? Let me hear your experiences. Have raised the ride height which helped the steering considerably, but it is still a bit heavy.

thanks
Mike
It's sounds like by the time you're finished, you will have a "new" bike. :)

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I'm curious what Ohlins kit goes in the Showa forks? I know they exist for Marzocci as an upgrade, didn't know about Showa.

When I inquired about doing the same thing, I was told by David Behrend at FBI that there is no kit Ohlins makes that will work with the ST forks. He said that the stacks in the Showas are "backwards" in comparison, are simply not made to be rebuilt, and it would take significant custom work to make it function.

Curious to hear how you plan to go about it, or are you just going to get some Ohlins forks proper? I know the Paul Smart SC Ohlins and Monster 1100 (radial) will work for your year bike.

Geoff

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The OZ's are so beautiful. I want a set so bad. But my wife said if I ordered a set I'd have to go six months without food or sex.

Decisions, decisions. :)
D'ya think she'd wear just no sex for twelve months instead Mike ?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm curious what Ohlins kit goes in the Showa forks? I know they exist for Marzocci as an upgrade, didn't know about Showa.

When I inquired about doing the same thing, I was told by David Behrend at FBI that there is no kit Ohlins makes that will work with the ST forks. He said that the stacks in the Showas are "backwards" in comparison, are simply not made to be rebuilt, and it would take significant custom work to make it function.

Curious to hear how you plan to go about it, or are you just going to get some Ohlins forks proper? I know the Paul Smart SC Ohlins and Monster 1100 (radial) will work for your year bike.

Geoff
I'm not sure how different the 4 and 4s forks are, but I had new valves and springs fitted to my s with excellent results http://www.reactivesuspension.com/forks.php

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Ducati Designs
1,125 Posts
Mike,

Good on you old man! Keep the ST fire burning!

The stock Showa suspenders are a good starting point for upgrades, and are fully rebuildable. John Hlebo at Helbo Brothers Racing (hlebobros.com) in San Jose is a master at suspension upgrades. They rebuilt and upgraded my ST2 and VFR suspension. The difference was remarkable. I have had Ohlins (ST4S) and found it no better than what these guys can do. Lindemann Engineering in Campbell does similar good things.

The OZ wheels are definitely the shizzle!

See ya.

pg
DD

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I'm not sure how different the 4 and 4s forks are
As far as I'm aware they are exactly the same, apart from the 4s items having the gold coloured Titanium Nitride coating on the sliders.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I'm not sure how different the 4 and 4s forks are, but I had new valves and springs fitted to my s with excellent results Motorcycle Front Fork Cartridge Kits From Traxxion, WP Suspension and Racetech
Rick at cogent dynamics installed a set of Ohlin valves.
in my buddies showas on his st2
MotoCD - Home
Mike,

Good on you old man! Keep the ST fire burning!

The stock Showa suspenders are a good starting point for upgrades, and are fully rebuildable. John Hlebo at Helbo Brothers Racing (hlebobros.com) in San Jose is a master at suspension upgrades. They rebuilt and upgraded my ST2 and VFR suspension. The difference was remarkable. I have had Ohlins (ST4S) and found it no better than what these guys can do. Lindemann Engineering in Campbell does similar good things.

The OZ wheels are definitely the shizzle!

See ya.

pg
DD
Excellent info! Sadly Jim Lindemann passed away a while back and his shop moved to the LA area. I haven't had much contact with them since.

Geoff

·
Registered
686 Posts
Excellent info! Sadly Jim Lindemann passed away a while back and his shop moved to the LA area. I haven't had much contact with them since.

Geoff
I didn't have the Traxxion internals fitted, just some mods and fitting of new valving. They were Racetech or Penske I think. I know he was surprised to find the internals were not like the standard 996, but much more basic so he had to do some engineering to make them work. Very good now and have a lot of adjustment and they are well controlled.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
A cheaper option may be to source secondhand 4s or 3s wheels , shock and forks alongwith changing to Michelin tyres to get a significant weight reduction in unsprung weight and better suspension , possibly for the same cost as the Oz wheels alone...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PG, thanks for the the reference. Will call John later this week.

I know it doesn't make much fiscal sense to dump money into an old bike that is not worth much anymore, but I sold all my other Ducs and I want to make this one to my liking.

Pacabada, thanks for the tip on the rear shock. I just bought it!

Mike

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
... wife said if I ordered a set I'd have to go six months without food or sex.
[/url][/color]
DuckMan, sounds like a 6 month Sport Touring trip might be in order!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I contacted Rick at Cogent Dynamics and he has an Ohlins Kit to rebuild the Compression and Rebound circuits in the forks and its on sale at the moment. So I am going to send him the forks and the used Ohlins rear shock that I just bought for service.
Mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
Rick at cogent dynamics installed a set of Ohlin valves.
in my buddies showas on his st2
MotoCD - Home

Mike, I'm late to this thread but I see that you did what I would have recommended which is to call Rick at Cogent Dynamics. He installed the Ohlins internals in my front forks and I purchased an Ohlins rear shock like the ones found on the ST4s models through him at the same time.

I consider it some of the better money that I have spent on my ST2. I think that you will be very happy with the response and feel from the front forks. I like to tour in the mountainous regions in our area and those mods really make it a nice riding bike both on the highway and in the turns

But, now I just need to figure out how to get the rear dialed in a little bit better...

Best,
Dave

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All done! Finally got my forks and the rebuilt Ohlins shock back from Cogent (thanks Rick, you really know your stuff). Assembled everything including the OZ wheels from Motowheels (thanks Nick and Martin for your input). Have been riding it for a couple of weeks and all I can say is wow! What a difference. The suspension is firm but much more supple. It used to be kind of harsh, in that I would feel every little bump in the road. Now, the ride is much smoother, and I find I dont fret going over bumps in the road like I used to. The bike is better planted all the time. Rick set up everything before he shipped the shock and forks and it feels perfect. I have some experience with suspensions since I put on thousands of track day miles on a 916 and had the suspension set up by a professional.

And the wheels........ So easy to turn into turns and much less effort transitioning through S turns. Wish I would have made these mods years ago. I had no idea it would make such a difference. Its like having a new bike! Also have new PR3 tires. I like a 170 rear as the bike turns in better than a 180.

I highly recommend these upgrades. I know its pricey but for me well worth it.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Lovely. You have the Braketech stainless steel brakes as well. What pads are you using and how do they feel compared to the original - and no doubt warped - Brembo rotors ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts