Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone first post!

I'm looking at used and new leftover Hypers. It is going to be an "S" and I would like to have the full 2 into 1 system on it. My local dealer will sell me one for $15,100 otd with termi installed and $12,800 w/o. I have also found a used one (with pipe) for $11,300 and 1500 miles. I would need to get the used bike shipped here ($450) and add the sales tax when I register it. BTW the used one is over two years old.

What bike would you buy?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If the used one is over 2 years old that probably means the warranty is up. Unless that doesn't bother you That price for the used one with that pipe and only 1500 miles is a pretty good deal I would say. See if you can still purchase an extended warranty from Ducati. Also check the classifides here last time I checked a couple Hyper's were up for sale. In my opinion used is the way to go unless money is no big deal then I guess there is nothing sweeter than a brand spankin new one. Good luck the Hyper is lot's of fun.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Flyin - I'm in the same position as you! There is a "S" 2008 for sale with slip-on (prefer full but!) with 4000k's on it for $1000 AUS less then a new "Std"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to look into the warranty this week. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update....I bought a 08 Hyper S that I found in the classifieds here. The seller was a super nice guy. The bike has the termi slip-ons with LV cat removal pipe and 2500 miles. Bike is perfect! Thought long and hard about buying new and decided that I would save the cash (about $5000 with everything). I love this bike!

·
Registered
260 Posts
The conclusion that I have come to is to either buy a used low mileage 08 S with the right add ons already in place, or a new 09 S due to the improved fork and having a warranty. Pros/cons to both... Were you able to purchase an extended warranty on the used bike? BTW, congrats..cant wait to join the club.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can add the warranty as long as I do so before the two year warranty runs out (end of the month). I’m lucky to put on 2K a year and I am wondering if I am going to spend the extra $950 to add it. I am going to my local dealer on the 10th for a complete go over of the bike and I am going to make the decision then.

·
Premium Member
12,400 Posts
You won"t get the new smell with used ...
Warrantee -I would
I hope the Dealer doesn't "punish you for not buying theirs" I can see that happening maybe...
ask exactly what they are going to do to the bike know before hand ,make sure you understand each other ...
Sounds like you got a good deal...ENJOY

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you only do 2K a year, I think I would be giving the xtended warranty a miss.... But thats just my view !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you only do 2K a year, I think I would be giving the xtended warranty a miss.... But thats just my view !
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I'm not against the extended warranty and if I was planning on touring or riding 5 or 6k a year I would definitely go for it. I'm still thinking about it. I just can't see spending $1000 on repairs in 6000 miles. Maybe I'm wrong. Feel free to set me straight before the window passes that I can add it. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I ended up buying a brand new one! You have to try buying a brand new bike once in your life - and I must say, it's quite a feeling to look at the odometer and see it saying 3km! It's my bike, one one else have ever owned it....yes it cost me a lot more but the feeling of picking up a brand new bike, riding it in the first 1000k's etc is a feeling I'm glad I now have experienced!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I ended up buying a brand new one! You have to try buying a brand new bike once in your life - and I must say, it's quite a feeling to look at the odometer and see it saying 3km! It's my bike, one one else have ever owned it....yes it cost me a lot more but the feeling of picking up a brand new bike, riding it in the first 1000k's etc is a feeling I'm glad I now have experienced!
+1!

·
Premium Member
12,400 Posts
I like to know that it has not been abused misused or generally messed with, Breaking it in sorta is a pain or inconvience, but you can do it your way,you have no one to blame but yourself if it is not done right, Brand new tires brand new clutch clean fluids brand new brakes, You pay a premium for the feeling and the time and miles for wear & tear.

But you save good $$$ buying used ,ain"t nuttin bad bout that!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would have liked to buy new. There are deals to be had at the Duc stores around the country but the used market has taken a nose dive with the economy being in the shape it is in. Just couldn't swallow spending the extra money for the "new feeling". BTW I love this bike!!! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got a years full of free maint for buying a leftover 08' a few months ago. Now I have the motivation to put 7500+ miles on it in the first year just to get the big 7.5k maint free :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's really a hard decesion new vs used, great to get a modified bike cheap, but are they the same mods that you would have made on your new bike? Seems like it might be be best to buy new, unless just the right bike comes up. A used '09 might be the ticket...with the new forks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too was in the same place a month ago. Couple of used S versions and was also looking at new. I chose the new base Hyper for a couple of reasons:

• '09 has a significant discount from MSRP
  • Free installation on Termi exhaust
  • 3.9% financing
  • Warranty and 1 year of service

There is also the peace of mind that I was the one to do the break-in riding.

Woot!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I saw this kinda late. If I were to chose between the new 09 S and any other, I'd do the S. I had a different answer in 08. I was an advocate of the standard model then. Now, what I wouldn't do for better forks?!! I guess, you could factor in $1200 for a racetech cartridge drop in and still come under the new price premium.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
londin said:
.... It's quite a feeling to look at the odometer and see it saying 3km!
That sounds like a used bike, alright :D Just kidding. I hear what you're saying and the good people at BMW understand human psychology / know that special feeling. Therefore, their bikes leave the factory with the odometers reading (9)99,995.0 km which gives the guys at the dealership 5 km for a test ride to confirm all is well and the customer receives a bike with (0)00,000.0 km on the odometer :) It's quite a sight, I have to admit.

RonB

PS - I did see 00,000.0 km on my '78 Honda CB400F in the fall of '83

1 - 19 of 19 Posts