Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard plenty of rumors that Ducati will race/reveal a new V4 SF at Pike's Peak this year. Is anybody else excited about that possibility? :smile2::smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
The pictured example is beyond terrible looking.
whew thought it was just me.

IMO if they made THIS:

but with a V4 that would be just perfect... the 1098 was a sexy sexy beast.

Edit: but maybe with single exhaust... I never got the dual pipe thing unless they were underseat.

Second Edit: And a red frame and black forged March's... because I never got the grey thing they sometimes do either.

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
I will never understand why so many people want a v4 sf.

I have a 1098sf and often switch bikes with a tuono v4. I much prefer the (lower in rpm) torque of the twin. 160 hp for a naked is plenty. You can't go 180mph without a fairing anyway.

V4 is more complicated, more moving parts, more weight, more piping (5k$ termis anyone?) more expensive (25k?)

I would much prefer another twin with some refinement but not much. I prefer simple stuff than overly complicated bike that only a rocket scientist can repair. I absolutely don't want a keyless ignition and fuel level sender crap, don't care for leaning abs, can live without abs, a quick shifter could be used. A 1260 dry clutch sbk tuned would be perfect. 16k base, 19k for the S.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would definitely pass on the fuel sender and keyless ignition. I've replaced the fuel sender twice on my Diavel and keyless ignition, although fairly reliable, has been a bit of a pain in the past

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts
This is what? the 3rd or 4th thread about a new SF? Pffft - you guys are dreaming.

I have a v4 Tuono factory and a tuned 1098 streetfighter S - The Tuono is faster and has unbelievable torque everywhere (cant say which bike has more torque they are both insane!)

The problem is that like the panigale Vtwin Ducati has gone racing with the v4 platform - it has no bottom end or midrange and unless they change the architecture it just isnt going to work for bikes like the diavel ,multi and streetfighter. They may do that at some point but I wouldn't want a streetfighter with the current engine. I think a 200 mph streetfighter might be pushing liability issues even for Ducati.

Oh and that custom SF from the article above is hideous.

Here's the thing, the original SF from Ducati had issues that kept the mainstream away from it - it was a sales failure, and yes it could be argued that decisive looks were the culprit but I think it had much more to do with the odd handling caused by the increased rake and offset of the front end. Ducati tried to make it stable but they just screwed it up. The bike just never felt as clean and stable as bikes like the Tuono, turn-in is dicey and overall it just doesn't instill confidence. I've never met anyone who jumped on the SF and loved it right away, it takes time to learn the bike and it takes skill to ride it well. So, my list of mods for a new SF would have more to do with handling and like Ricko not much on the BS electrickery garbage. I don't need modes, or abs, or traction control, or wheelie control, just give me a frame that turns in cleanly and holds the line smoothly - something that makes me feel confident and want to jump on it and ride.

But I already have that don't I? - I have a Tuono 1100 V4 that is amazing, fast, and stable, with handling that is among the best bikes ever designed. I love my Streetfighter but if you guys really want a V4 the Tuono is here now and it really is everything you'll ever want from a streetfighter. It's not that I'm trying to sell the Tuono, I dont care if any of you buy one, its just that I dont see the need for you guys to pine away for Ducati to build this bike when its already here and available.0:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is what? the 3rd or 4th thread about a new SF? Pffft - you guys are dreaming.

I have a v4 Tuono factory and a tuned 1098 streetfighter S - The Tuono is faster and has unbelievable torque everywhere (cant say which bike has more torque they are both insane!)

The problem is that like the panigale Vtwin Ducati has gone racing with the v4 platform - it has no bottom end or midrange and unless they change the architecture it just isnt going to work for bikes like the diavel ,multi and streetfighter. They may do that at some point but I wouldn't want a streetfighter with the current engine. I think a 200 mph streetfighter might be pushing liability issues even for Ducati.

Oh and that custom SF from the article above is hideous.

Here's the thing, the original SF from Ducati had issues that kept the mainstream away from it - it was a sales failure, and yes it could be argued that decisive looks were the culprit but I think it had much more to do with the odd handling caused by the increased rake and offset of the front end. Ducati tried to make it stable but they just screwed it up. The bike just never felt as clean and stable as bikes like the Tuono, turn-in is dicey and overall it just doesn't instill confidence. I've never met anyone who jumped on the SF and loved it right away, it takes time to learn the bike and it takes skill to ride it well. So, my list of mods for a new SF would have more to do with handling and like Ricko not much on the BS electrickery garbage. I don't need modes, or abs, or traction control, or wheelie control, just give me a frame that turns in cleanly and holds the line smoothly - something that makes me feel confident and want to jump on it and ride.

But I already have that don't I? - I have a Tuono 1100 V4 that is amazing, fast, and stable, with handling that is among the best bikes ever designed. I love my Streetfighter but if you guys really want a V4 the Tuono is here now and it really is everything you'll ever want from a streetfighter. It's not that I'm trying to sell the Tuono, I dont care if any of you buy one, its just that I dont see the need for you guys to pine away for Ducati to build this bike when its already here and available.
As soon as I got in my streetfighter (with new tyres instead of 8 year old rubbish it came with) I felt super confident on it and loves the way it handles. It feels super stable on turn in, but can feel like it drifts wide on corner exit.

It way be I used to sensitive front ends (my MV is very responsive and unforgiving) but who knows.

My biggest doubt for a v4 SF is the price. Will people fork out for it over the superbike.

Also I don't understand your liability comment?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I will never understand why so many people want a v4 sf.

I have a 1098sf and often switch bikes with a tuono v4. I much prefer the (lower in rpm) torque of the twin. 160 hp for a naked is plenty. You can't go 180mph without a fairing anyway.

V4 is more complicated, more moving parts, more weight, more piping (5k$ termis anyone?) more expensive (25k?)

I would much prefer another twin with some refinement but not much. I prefer simple stuff than overly complicated bike that only a rocket scientist can repair. I absolutely don't want a keyless ignition and fuel level sender crap, don't care for leaning abs, can live without abs, a quick shifter could be used. A 1260 dry clutch sbk tuned would be perfect. 16k base, 19k for the S.
I completely agree, except that I would want ABS, as it's the biggest advance in safety since the tubeless tire. Other than that, yes, absolutely. The main reason I like Ducatis in the first place is the twin -- a 2-cyl performance bike is a nearly unique niche, and Ducati does it better than anyone else. On a race bike, where you can keep it on the boil all the time, 4-cyl is better. But in the real world, I much prefer a 2-cyl bike. I was one of those who disliked the move to a V4 for the supersport.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
... I've never met anyone who jumped on the SF and loved it right away, it takes time to learn the bike and it takes skill to ride it well. ...
I did. I testrode two SF1098s and loved them both right away. They felt intuitive to me, and very easy to ride. I loved the position of being so far forward that the bike just disappeared beneath me. Felt like my hands were gasping the front axle directly. The only reason I didn't buy one at the time was that I wasn't done with my Monster yet.

PhilB

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts
Ide certainly be up for the v4 sf if she looked anything like this even if it meant selling my sfs and 888 to fund it

I agree, that bike is really cool looking, especially if you like engines that look like a jumble of cast aluminum, hoses, and wires and have nothing recognizable as an engine.

But the SF has got to be more than looks - dont you think? This bike would suffer the same issues as the first iteration of the V4 tuono which had really poor low end power but exploded into the upper RPM range. I just dont find that engine characteristic desirable for a naked bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
From the marketing and sales point appeal it must be a V4. From esthetic as well as my personal preference if the SF is brought back to life it should be with the V2.

My original choice for a super naked was a second gen Tuono Factory with a twin. I couldn’t find the right one, then a Brutale 1099RR came along and took me off the market. I liked the MV but as Boba-Fett points out its an unforgiving bike. Four cylinder packed the torque and hp but in a more sedate delivery than an SFS and the exhaust sound wasn’t nearly as blood curdling as the Duc’s. I sold the Brutie after about a year and ended up with an SFS. Couldn’t be more happier with the decision. BTW, I did get a V2 Ape finally, a second gen RSV. The first time I heard the sound from the Akros, I was grinning for the rest of that day.

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts
You and I have similar tastes, this was from a trackday way back in 11. I got to the point where I'd only ride the Brutale on the track but then decided if I'm gonna do that why not get something more suitable for the track and I ended up with a 1098R

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did. I testrode two SF1098s and loved them both right away. They felt intuitive to me, and very easy to ride. I loved the position of being so far forward that the bike just disappeared beneath me. Felt like my hands were gasping the front axle directly. The only reason I didn't buy one at the time was that I wasn't done with my Monster yet.

PhilB
You still riding that Monster Phil? I remember you from SBN years ago

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You still riding that Monster Phil? I remember you from SBN years ago
Unfortunately, no. I would be, but we got smacked by a hit-and-run driver in Illinois in October 2017. Totaled the poor bike. Luckily, I didn't get hurt much, so I'm still riding. But poor Patina died prematurely, at 265K miles and 24 years of ownership.

PhilB

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unfortunately, no. I would be, but we got smacked by a hit-and-run driver in Illinois in October 2017. Totaled the poor bike. Luckily, I didn't get hurt much, so I'm still riding. But poor Patina died prematurely, at 265K miles and 24 years of ownership.

PhilB
Glad to hear you're still out there. I stopped posting there years ago. I popped back in about 4 years back and saw that Kevin Stevens had passed. Sad affair

BTW I was BeeGee

1 - 20 of 388 Posts