Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Put me down for the whole lot - Ignitech, tps, hall effect, the works. My bike is totally stock ( except for Termi pipes ) so I'll need everything. Guess I'll be ordering a set of flatslides too - who's the best vendor, Chris Kelly?

Regarding the anodising colour, I'd prefer black so it doesn't stand out. I like to keep things looking as stock / factory-original as possible, or at least to the untrained eye.

Can't wait to be back living in Auckland for good later this year.
For spreading around the love - yes - I can recommend Chris - that's where I bought mine from. You'll LOVE the carbs! ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
For spreading around the love - yes - I can recommend Chris - that's where I bought mine from. You'll LOVE the carbs! ;)
Agreed - got mine from Chris and fell into one of his " wheelie off into the sunset" brigade... Totally transformed the bike and should be standard by default... The only think I miss is a proper choke for cold mornings (Norway cold)..
I live in a street full of geriatrics and cannot be sitting idling / revving it for ages to warm up... One or 2 mins max til the gloves are on and the oil is flowing...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Liam - how does the unit integrate with the existing belt covers? Do you have to modify them at all?
Totally separate - you seem to have another sensor fitted in the oil cooler line - temperature? pressure?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Liam - how does the unit integrate with the existing belt covers? Do you have to modify them at all?
Totally separate - you seem to have another sensor fitted in the oil cooler line - temperature? pressure?

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk
Yes you need to drill a hole about 42mm in diameter thru the lower cover for the shaft of the rotor clamp to be able to pass thru.

Our cover then fits neatly over the lower cover and hollow dowels in our cover fit into the existing cap screw recesses in the lower cover to perfectly locate our cover. Sounds complicated but our cover bolts right on in about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I got asked a couple of good questions today and thought I should post the answer here:

Q: What is the advantage of Hall Effect Pickups and will you be selling the Hall Effect Pickup kit through dealers?

A: XXXX the project was initially just started as something I wanted for myself I started fabricating the prototype and a friend who is an industrial designer with a very good 3D printer looked at what I was doing and said he could 3D print the components for me.... and at this point it became something we could reproduce for other enthusiasts.

I was a telecommunications and electronics engineer many years ago (NZCE) and now do some electrical and electronic servicing on motorbikes amongst other things including being the suspension tuner for a top SuperStock team in NZ and mapping modern Ducatis (We are the RexXer agents for NZ). I bought an ignition scope a few years ago to diagnose frequent Ducati ignition problems and noted that the inductive pickups on Ducatis are inherently problematic (even new replacements). Modern vehicles including Ducatis all switched to Hall Effect pickups many years ago. Part of my experiments involved mounting a flywheel in the lathe and setting up some inductive pickups on a plate and experimenting with the gap between the lobe and the pickups and the speed of the flywheel to confirm that theory met reality.

1. The inductive pickups put out a signal voltage that is proportional to the speed of the lobe past the pick up which means at idle speed the signal strength is very poor. A look with a ignition timing light at the timing mark on the flywheel, at idle will typically show the intermittent sparking of the plugs. This problem often continues higher in the revs but is hard to see.

The Hall Effect pickups give the same signal strength regardless of speed of the magnets past the pickups. You can hand turn the engine at 1/2 and RPM a day and still get the full strength signal.

2. The pickups also see the lobe earlier at high speed than at slow speed which is why the Ignitechs have 11 degrees of compensation in the compensation field as a guess. Depending on how close the pickups are set to the flywheel when your bike is serviced you may need just 6 degrees of compensation or a higher value such as 13 degrees. This introduces a massive inaccuracy into the timing.

At any revs the hall Effect Pickups are I believe within 0.5 degrees at all revs.

3. Due to inductive reactance of a coil (think resistance) it takes time for the current to build up in the coils. the energy stored in a coil is proportional to the square of the current flowing through it. The cam shaft belt drive gear turns at half the speed of the crank. This gets rid of the wasted spark plug firing on the exhaust stroke and means their is twice as much time at any revs to build energy in the coils.

4. It's also much faster and simpler to set the base timing very accurately with our set up. No need to drain the oil, remove the alternator cover, guesstimate the correct position of the pickups and set the gap with a feeler gauge and hope it is right before reassembly, filling back up with oil and then testing your timing with a timing light.

A bike fitted with hall effect cam driven sensors idles better and runs better as a result of these factors.

My own modified Ducati has the system fitted an you can see it running here it goes alright. https://youtu.be/l6u5wi9Mvjo.

There are no plans to make this a dealer product yet. But once we are in proper production we will add it to our online shop at FastBikeGear, Importers and Distributors of Motorcycle Accessories

If anyone is interested in my other projects they can connect with Liam Venter in New Zealand via facebook.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Interesting, my Monster runs fine with the Ignitech but I do have some issues with erratic timing at idle meaning that I need to set the idle higher than ideal to prevent it spluttering to a stop in traffic. There are several possible causes but I'm thinking timing pickups maybe one of them and the hall effect pickup may improve it?

If nothing else it would make it easier to try different settings...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Interesting, my Monster runs fine with the Ignitech but I do have some issues with erratic timing at idle meaning that I need to set the idle higher than ideal to prevent it spluttering to a stop in traffic. There are several possible causes but I'm thinking timing pickups maybe one of them and the hall effect pickup may improve it?

If nothing else it would make it easier to try different settings...
Very easy to test in just a couple of minutes. Get your local auto electrician to put his scope on your pick up wires. When we do this with our scope it is the norm to note missed trigger impulses. Also put a standard ignition strobe timing light on your spark plug leads adn look at your timing marks on the flywheel. At idle the timing should be rock steady to the point it looks like your flywheel is standing still. If you note the timing mark appears to jump around you have inaccurate timing due to the variation from revolution to revolution of when the pickup 'detects the lobe on your flywheel.'

If I get a chance I will post up a video of how rock steady the flywheel timing marks should look when viewed with an ignition strobe timing light.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Very easy to test in just a couple of minutes. Get your local auto electrician to put his scope on your pick up wires. When we do this with our scope it is the norm to note missed trigger impulses. Also put a standard ignition strobe timing light on your spark plug leads adn look at your timing marks on the flywheel. At idle the timing should be rock steady to the point it looks like your flywheel is standing still. If you note the timing mark appears to jump around you have inaccurate timing due to the variation from revolution to revolution of when the pickup 'detects the lobe on your flywheel.'

If I get a chance I will post up a video of how rock steady the flywheel timing marks should look when viewed with an ignition strobe timing light.
I've done the strobe light test and it does jump around a little but it smooths out at higher speeds (until there's too much oil splash to see the flywheel). The pickups are set nice and close and everything is fine at higher RPM, re-routing the cable from the pickups to avoid the HT leads helped a little and the bike makes great power and torque so it's not a huge problem as I don't ride much in city environment.

I have a very light (Nichols) flywheel that might not be helping carry a smooth idle but there is definitely some inconsistency at idle. It maybe a suspect pickup? they are, AFAIK the originals on a '95 engine which I completely rebuilt but left the pickups as they seemed to be OK but they are likely to be 20+ years old...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hall Effect Triggers for MSD ignition

Liam,
I'm using Hall Effect Triggers for all the reasons you point out. However, my ignition is a capacitive discharge type with plenty of time to recharge capacitors even with a wasted spark. No dwell for either the trigger coils or the ignition coils.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Guys just an update. Have been making good progress with the Hall Effect kits. We decided that it might be easier and cheaper if we also supplied the rotors and rotor clamps with these kits, so that we can supply a complete kit.

We did look at 3D printing the clamps and rotors but I felt that they needed to be CNC'd from billet alloy. These will be silver anodised. I am doing an initial run of 10 kits but won't take orders until the kits are ready to dispatch.

You can view the prototype alloy rotor clamp in this video. https://youtu.be/l6u5wi9Mvjo

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yep, looking good - can't wait either, as already said earlier- I'll be after a the full shebang including a TPS fornthe 41's and an Ignitech unit!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Guys some progress on the Hall Effect kit.

Finished this batch of rotor clamps today for our Ducati cam triggered hall effect ignition kit. Have already dropped them off at the anodisers. Have also made up the rotors. Tomorrows task is to fit the timing magnets to the rotors. Seems these things always take longer than you think!!

Attachments

·
Vendor
456 Posts
TPS - Throttle Return Springs

I spent some time investigating adding a TPS to the FCRs for a custom install I do on the E900 bikes.

I have to fabricate a custom linkage for the carbs to clear the frame.

While looking into all of it I obtained 3 sets of stainless lighter pull throttle springs.

The idea is that the added drag of the TPS potentiometer ends up making the total throttle pull higher than you might prefer.

But the custom linkage and the TPS mount conflicted and so that is not moving forward.

! have the 3 sets available at the price I paid, $35 a set. They are new.

The maker is no longer making MC accessories.

PM direct to discuss.

Thanks,

M./

Attachments

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Guys some progress on the Hall Effect kit.

Finished this batch of rotor clamps today for our Ducati cam triggered hall effect ignition kit. Have already dropped them off at the anodisers. Have also made up the rotors. Tomorrows task is to fit the timing magnets to the rotors. Seems these things always take longer than you think!!
G'day Liam

Any further updates? I ask because I just sent you an email to ask about the availability of ignition pick-ups and wondered if the hall effect ignition kit may be a better alternative?

Regards

Muddy

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
G'day Liam

Any further updates? I ask because I just sent you an email to ask about the availability of ignition pick-ups and wondered if the hall effect ignition kit may be a better alternative?

Regards

Muddy
Yes I will be sending out the first customer kit today as soon as I have fitted the magnets to the rotor.

I have just been incredibly busy over the last month and have had to give priority to my primary import/distribution business.

Please note the mounting kits for the hall effect pickups are only compatible with the carburettered 900SS motors and Monster 900s. The 3D printed mounting plates do not fit other models of Ducatis.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Originally this was intended just as a project for myself. However there has been a lot of interest for the project from others and the performance results have been excellent. I have done a limited production run of 10 kits and may do more in the future if there is demand.

You can see more info on the kits and pricing here and see a video of a bike running with the kit here.

https://youtu.be/l6u5wi9Mvjo

Please note with the massive amount of R&D and testing I have done on this project this has been a project of passion rather than a commercial venture.

121 - 140 of 171 Posts