Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i am in the market, or will be in the very near future, for a ducati/aprilia/triumph/mv agusta

I currently own a 99 camaro SS and i just recently sold my 94 Suzuki RF900R. Just wanted to get some advice, because i love these bikes. I would be looking to get a 916, 996, 1098, or 748 if the price is right. Dont really care for the look of the 749 or the 999. I have never ridden a vtwin superbike. Can you guys tell me a little bit about the powerband? I hear its linear, and right now, owning a V8, its what im used to. My RF had a pretty good amount of power down low compared to my buddy's 04 R6, which i absolutely hated riding. Looking to spend around the 5k mark on a bike. Anything i should be looking for that goes wrong with these things? I am in the process of doing searches for things like that, but just wanted to throw this post up and see what kinda advice you guys have specifically for me. Japanese bikes are out of the question pretty much as of right now as everybodys got them and the sound just isn't appealing to me. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
No superbike for you. You have to get a 900SS so your screen name stays accurate. It's state law.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ha! Gotta agree, an SS would be perfect to match your screen name. Unfortunately an SS won't have all the power you'll get out of a superbike. First off, a twin is a totally different riding experience from any 4-cylinder bike. Any four, regardless of displacement, will have to rev more to make its power, and the smaller the four the more it's dependent on revs, which explains why you hated the 600 so much. You've simply got to spin the guts out of a 600 to make it go anywhere, though they're pretty fast once you get 'em going. The four-valve superbikes give a good mix of traits in that they have good low-to-mid power like any twin, but since they breathe so much better than the two-valvers they also rev much quicker and higher. But you'll never rev a twin, two or four valve, as high as you would a comparable four-cylinder bike of equal displacement. Though a 916/996/998/1098 etc. can rev to 10,000 rpm (and beyond) you really never need to go there. You'll find yourself shifting at anywhere from 5-7,000 rpm depending on the situation and will probably rarely scream it past 8k. Due to the way they pour out torque and hp you'll find a good twin is moving pretty darn well at those revs where a four-cylinder bike is just beginning to wake up. Now as to your budget, $5k might find you a 916 or perhaps a 996, and maybe more likely a 748, but it's hard to fathom finding a really good one that's been well cared for at that price. Of course careful shopping will always find the exception to the rule. Whatever you get, make sure you get detailed service records and do not simply take the seller's word for it that all maintenance has been done. These things are very reliable, but only if they're treated right. Used and abused they're no better than any other trashed used bike out there. Early four-valve 916s had some flaking rocker arm issues, but by now most of them have been addressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hah, well ive been thinking about a 900ss or 1000ss, but you just drove home what ive been hearing. they just dont have the power, and i would just be disappointed if i felt like my suzuki four cyl had more power. the only real problems with any of the superbikes are flaking rockers of the 916s? how would i be able to tell if the rockers are flaking? other than the maintenance and service records, anything else? Also, where would i find the exact mileage/time schedule for replacing things, changing fluids, etc?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Good luck on the search but I MUST disagree with a generalized statement I see much too often. I-4s do NOT always need shit loads of revs. It depends on the bike and as you should agree, there is no replacement for displacement. In fact, my Ducatis need far more rev to go than my current I-4. Your R-6 example is the problem.

First off, I've owned a 999 for a few years and it was also my track bike...recently sold, thank you. I still have my ST4S which is an awesome SPORT-tourer. I also have a ZX14...an even more awesome SPORT-tourer. Here's my point:
The ZX14 will smoothly accelerate VERY quickly from 2000rpm in 6th gear (40mph) to an insane speed. Just does not bog down, shake, vibrate, nothing.
BOTH of my Ducatis will smoothly accelerate from 2000rpm, er, NEVER if you're not in 1st or 2nd. Now if they're not at at least 3000+ rpm in 6th gear they'd shake, chug, and buck like crazy. No, I don't ride like that, just giving an example. I know my Duc. :) Anyway, I'd never see 6th gear until at least 60mph and then they'd accelerate fairly smoothly from maybe 3500rpm or so.

Good luck in your search. At your price point you will probably be limited to the 748 realm quite honestly unless you find some insane exception...then GREAT FIND!;)
I'd say 748 in the 5k range...916-998 in the 7-8k range...749-999 in the 8-9k range...1098+ 10k and up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my RF900R was actually pretty good for what it was, especially down low. The only problem with that was that it was carbeurated, and all my life ive grown up with fuel injection and its just what im used to. I have seen a couple 996s for the 5k range, but the more i think about it, id almost rather finance a 1098.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My riding buddy has a 2003 999s he bought a year ago in the high sevens. I've seen some recently in the high sixes and low sevens. It's lot of bike for that price. I agree that you will have trouble finding a nice superbike for $5K. But keep looking, the market seems to be going down and expect it continue through the winter and as the economy continues to weaken.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that sounds like a super sweet deal, i just dont like the way the 999s and 749s look. i know... i guess im a bit superficial

·
Registered
511 Posts
Most dealers are letting potential buyers ride their Ducs. Ride a couple and see what you like. As for maintenance and repairs, I've heard the horror stories about the 4 valves, but so far, mines been reliable, other than some piddly shit when I first bought it (fixed by the selling dealer, free, bought used, Santa Barbara Ducati, who I feel comfortable recommending). Of course, you might get a funky one, but so far, mines been 100% reliable. A few other that I've talked to have been very reliable also, but there are those horror stories, too. I jumped in feet first and seem to have gotten a good one.

I've ridden the 2 and 4 valves, I like the 4 valve rush myself. You might like the other one though, give them both a try.

I used to have a 955 Daytona, that was another really fun bike to ride, 60,000 trouble free miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts