Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

New to the forums and Ducati's...

G
1560 9
Hey guys, I have been in the market for a bike for a while now and I think I have narrowed it down to the SS800. The local dealership here offers a racing program where I can get a brand new SS800 for $7200. The only thing is that there is no warrenty. The regular price would be $8500 or so. That's a lot of savings, that'll buy quite a few parts and some labor. Also, I really would do a lot of the work myself. I enjoy that kind of thing.

As far as what I want to do with the bike...

Traffic is crazy here in Virginia Beach. The street riding would be saved for only nice days when traffic is at a minimum. I really want to do a lot of track days with it. I live only 3 hours from VIR and Corner Speed is there quite often.

I've heard wonderful things about Ducati's. It seems a lot of people tend to think they are unrealilable and overpriced. But it seems to me that a brand new SS800 for $7200 is a hell of a deal.

So for a track and street bike, the SS800 seems to be the bike for me.

I looked into new Jap bikes like the R6 or CBR600, but I just think I would be happier with a Duc.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. I'll probably be placing the order in a few days.

Steve
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
well Steve....1st...welcome to the board!....2nd....VIR is a great facility and Cornerspeed is a great organization....3rd...the SS you are purchasing has NO street parts on it and I believe is titled as race only...so riding it on the street will probably not be possible...legally anyway......4th...there is a nice SS800 for sale in the classifieds for less with the breaking in and 1st service done and may be just the ticket you are searching for?!?!?!?!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually it is street legal. It's the exact same bike you'd buy normally, except without the warrenty.

As far as the SS800 for sale, the only one I found was in AZ for $6500. Shipping costs alone will cost probably $500. For another $200, I'll take a brand new bike.

That's what I was looking at. The resale is so high on Ducati's, that it almost is a better deal for me just to buy new. Unless something like that bike was for sale here locally. Then that'd be a different story.

I'm glad you like Cornerspeed. I'll definitely have to get up with them. And I agree...VIR is great. I've been there 3 times or so with my car.

Steve

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
wait a sec...I reread the press release on the bike...
http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinorthamerica/news/detail.jhtml?newsId=10582
Ducati is doing it specifically with some SS1000DS's....the dealership themselves must be stripping out the componetry like Ducati from an 800 for you to give you a comparable discount.....but I'd still be looking at a used unit with which you can save some duckets and still be able to have a title to do both either way....
and the one is Arizona has some very nice aftermarket goodies on it that you'll want to add already included in the price without having to spend extra to get them...just food for thought!....
I'll be riding VIR North course with Cornerspeed on April 10th and 11th...but not with my Duc...

·
Registered
40 Posts
FWIW, I wouldn't be buying a Duc if my primary interest was racing. especially an 800ss. If I were you I'd buy a 600cc Bike (yamaha, honda). Parts are plentiful and cheaper (especially used). I wouldn't say maintenance is less, because if you are racing you're going to be doing alot of wrenching. But a stock 600 of a year or 3 ago will stomp an 800ss without alot of work. A duc IS easier to ride fast as the power band is wider but I wouldn't consider it competitive off the shelf nor the easiest/ least expensive option.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is finding a used bike! It would cost nearly $1000 to have that bike in AZ shipped to myself in VA. It's just not worth it.

I would love to find a bike like the one in AZ for sale somewhere around here, but they are just too rare. I'll keep my eyes open though.

Steve

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Steve91T said:
The problem is finding a used bike! It would cost nearly $1000 to have that bike in AZ shipped to myself in VA. It's just not worth it.

I would love to find a bike like the one in AZ for sale somewhere around here, but they are just too rare. I'll keep my eyes open though.

Steve
Battman is selling his SS 1000DS in the classifieds in New York state region...for a fairly reasonable price with the equipment and mods on it because he is deploying....I'd consider that as well as to get it would be either a train ride up and riding it down or renting a van and drive up and back in a weekend to get without a problem!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw that too. So lets say I talk him down to $8000. So now, I can fly up there (I work for the airlines, I can fly for free) then rent a truck and drive back down here, plus fuel costs, I'm going to end up spending a few hundred. Now I'm back up to $8500. That's a 3 year old bike with 11,000 miles. For another $500, I could have a brand new bike and not have to deal with driving 14 hours.

I just can't justify it. I wish I could.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Steve91T said:
I saw that too. So lets say I talk him down to $8000. So now, I can fly up there (I work for the airlines, I can fly for free) then rent a truck and drive back down here, plus fuel costs, I'm going to end up spending a few hundred. Now I'm back up to $8500. That's a 3 year old bike with 11,000 miles. For another $500, I could have a brand new bike and not have to deal with driving 14 hours.

I just can't justify it. I wish I could.

Does this make sense?
well...no...because you can recoup the money spent for travel by selling off the bits you won't need like the lights and whatnot since you were planning on buying a version with out em anyway....and then consider the upgrades he has listed done to the machine already included on it...and then consider what you'de put out for the exact same upgrades in extra money spent...that stuff is already on there....but hey...this is my thinking...you don't wanna buy either of em...by all means....vote with your dollars...just seems to me you are not wanting to go through the effort of travel expenses when in reality,you'll be paying for it anyway like when for example you look at the fine print on the new bike purchase order and you see that lovely "Freight & Set-Up" charge on the bill of sale!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Maybe I haven't been clear. I need this bike to be street legal. I'm going to be doing street riding, but also a lot of track days. This will be a street legal bike. The deal at the dearership is a normal SS800 except without the warrenty. That's it.

But my thinking is still this....why spend about $7500 total, after everything is all said and done for a bike that's a couple of years old and could have problems, when for $9000 out the door with a 2 year warrenty after tax and tag, I could have a brand new bike with exactly 0 miles?

I'm just trying to think logically...

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.