Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Ducati 750ss-cafe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m new to the forum I joined after purchasing a ‘99 750ss.

I’ve always loved the cafe racer look. This will be the 5th bike I’ve built so far. Here are a few of the previous projects:
‘79 Yamaha XS400

‘84 Honda 650 Nighthawk sc

‘86 BMW K100

Here is the 750ss as I picked it up. I’ve always loved the GT1000 but could never afford one so figured I’d build my own someday from a monster or a Super Sport or maybe a S3. So this came up at the right price, and the right time (Right before the “stay at home order”) So I made a quick trip to Portland/Vancouver area and trailered it back. The engine seems in good shape. The seller didn’t know anything about motorcycles. The initial conversation went something like this “Is it an air cooled V-twin?”... “I don’t know”. “Does it have a wet clutch?”... “I don’t know” .. You get the idea. So the brake master cylinder was leaking air, and hardly worked. I was able to get a used one in good shape cheaper than it was to rebuild the original one. I raised the handlebar clip on’s to save my old man back 😄 so I’ll need to deal with some clearance issues.

The tear down:

New Master Cylinder, and Raisers

These will go on soon after some work on the fairing stay:

I’ll update more as work progresses

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,309 Posts
Welcome.
You have posted in the Superbikes forum.
You should be in the link below for an SS.

·
Registered
'99 Ducati 750ss-cafe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for moving it Punch. I was posting from my phone. Small screen and fat fingers and I hit one forum too high.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,309 Posts
I did not move it, it must have been one of the Admins.
Look forward to seeing he progress.

·
Registered
'99 Ducati 750ss-cafe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the ‘99 750ss has the ignition coils mounted on the side of the bike under the original side fairings. I was thinking about moving the battery under the tail section and fabricating a bracket to mount the ignition coils in the place where the battery was under the fuel tank. That is the spot where most classic bikes have them mounted but I was wondering if heat would be an issue and if they were mounted under the fairings for the air flow across them? Any one ever changed the location of the ignition coils on this model?

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
There should be no issue putting the coils under the tank. Yes the coils are best being in a cooler spot but I doubt that you will have issues if you give them space away from the heads and isolated by the airbox.

mixed feelings on this one only as you are starting with a pretty clean looking donor bike, which is smart. I am just a little sad that one in good condition gets chopped for a custom when there are many that are .... not. Again it is my issue some may feel the same about your other builds and I do not. I hope you have fun and enjoy the bike build!

·
Registered
780 Posts
mixed feelings on this one only as you are starting with a pretty clean looking donor bike, which is smart. I am just a little sad that one in good condition gets chopped for a custom when there are many that are .... not. Again it is my issue some may feel the same about your other builds and I do not. I hope you have fun and enjoy the bike build!
I certainly agree with this sentiment... It's sad to see a nice one go away.

·
Registered
'99 Ducati 750ss-cafe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
so maybe you all can help. Im planning on relocating the battery Ive got 2 Questions
1) I haven't been able to find what the correct gauge the battery cables are to extend them. Id normally just take a piece to the supply store and compare but that isn't as easy these days.

Second what are the battery amp/ requirements. The stock battery is tall and wide and the space under the tale is 1" narrower. I'd like to get a AGM battery that is narrower and that I can lay on its side to fit but not finding the battery requirements anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Mark

·
Registered
833 Posts
Gauge 4 is what motoelectric use for their kit. I guess stock must be 6.

Get a lithium it will be smaller and you can use it upside down no problem.

·
Registered
'99 Ducati 750ss-cafe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Rico I was guessing it was 6. But "guessing" has bit me in the butt before :). Ive used AGM Sealed batteries in the past and they have worked well mounting on their side. With out wading into the "which battery is best" discussion... is there any issue with the charging system providing enough volts. When I measured the voltage it was working perfectly at 14.

Thanks for the advise

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Gauges 4-8 will work if of high quality copper, imo whats more important over the long run is the terminals - what they are made of and how they are soldered/crimped.

Go ahead and whack away at that bodywork on your SS, it is the ugliest of all the SuperSport models anyway,...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Looks like a fun project.

Whatcha doing with some of that stock take offs?
I could use a few really clean parts for my 1000SS.

·
Registered
'99 Ducati 750ss-cafe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tips friends, the Cable extensions would only be maybe 24" at the most. I will see what cables and ends I can get from the inter webs. I have soldered ends on automotive cables with good success so I'm fairly confident doing it on a smaller gauge motorcycle cable (but of course I just jinxed it by saying it out loud).

I would love to go to the Lithium Battery. Im a little concerned with the fact that I'm in Washington and we park the bike for several months during snowy winter and I'd need to purchase a specific trickle charger for a lithium battery instead of the ones I use for my other bikes at the present. But I see Battery Tender Juniors with a lithium setting are only $40... It's only money right?

Batteries Plus has Lithium Battery 16AH 200 Cranking Amps for under $140 with warrantee, so I may be picking one up

Thanks Friends

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Others here may disagree but I don't think all lithium batteries are created equally. Nor do I think that all chargers for them are created equally. If you go LiPo route, get something with a battery management system. Either on board or in the charger.

My personal choice was a Shorai and the Shorai charger. The charger discharges the battery to a point for winter storage. Something I don't think others do.

So, you can put it on the storage function before winter and then plug it in once or twice over winter using the storage function just to keep the cells stable. Then once riding season is very near, charge it like normal and away you go.

·
Registered
'99 Ducati 750ss-cafe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mirrors and hardware.
The rings/spacers (and o rings) that go under the clip ons.
Clutch line
I’ll be using the clutch line and the spacer the bike came with some cheap after market mirrors with turn signals built in. If your interested send me a private message I’ll send you pics

·
Registered
'99 Ducati 750ss-cafe
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So been spending a few hours here and there in the project. So far I’ve put on some clip on risers to raise the bars about an inch and save my old man back... some. The nose headlight and tail arrived in a big brown truck so did some mods to the fairing stay to hold the headlight and fit the new fairing. Welded in a cross brace to support the frame I had to chop a couple inches off to fit the tail. I’m more of a grinder than a welder, but I was happy that instead of spending twice the time cleaning up the welds than I did welding it only took half the time. So far it’s coming together pretty well. I’m happy with it so far. I ended up getting a lithium battery at batteries plus mostly because of their close location and the warranty they offer.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I like the old school look on that year better then what it came with

1 - 20 of 36 Posts