Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my new bike in the next couple of months and I'm torn between the Speed Triple and the 1100. I have tested them both and found that they are pretty equal performance wise for what I will do with the bike. I use my bike for going around town, highway travel, and then tearing up the twisties in the mountains (30/30/40).

I have heard many different stories about the reliability of each bike S3's electrical issues, the Duc's valves, but I would like to hear how you guys who have the 1100's like them and how accurate the tails of maintenance issues are. Also is it worth the extra cash to go with an S over a base?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Monster vs Speed Triple

My 2 cents... Both are excellent bikes. Get the Ducati!!

I had a S2R 1000 and a Triumph Sprint ST (same 1050 engine as the Speed triple). Both bikes ran excellent for many miles without any mechanical issues. The Triumph has more horsepower but is not a "Ducati".

The maint. costs of the air cooled Monster is not expensive. I paid ~$475 for the complete 7500 mile service on mine. The Triumph does not require a valve adjustment until ~15K so overall maint. on a Triumph will be less $ if you ride alot.

The "S" model bikes have never appealed to me (the extra cost not worth it for kind of riding I do).

·
Registered
923 Posts
The valves thing isn't a reliability issue unless you plan to never do maint. I loved my last Duc with the air cooled DS1000 motor in it. 2 valves don't cost that much to maintain. My 4 valve on the other hand :p

·
Registered
230 Posts
get the duc. i got the 1100. not the S. i wouldn't be able to tell the difference with the S. and i think the non S silver forks look better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
G'Day,

I traded my S3 on the 1100. Why? The front end handled (for me) way better than the S3.
I found the S3 a bugger to steer, and thought it was me until all my mates said - fantastic donk, but how do you get around corners? I played with the fork adjustments on the Trumpy to no avail. Apparently changing the springs helps a lot, but I wasn't keen on that - I'm 100kgs by the way. People on triumphrat state that riders over 80kgs WILL have trouble with handling.

My fiance bought a 695 earlier this year, and it has been so perfect - and I've always wanted a Duc, so I went for the Monster 1100.

The only BUT that I'll throw in, is my 1100 was a complete piece of shit.
It was so bad that Ducati Australia SWAPPED it for a new model after 6 weeks. It was so terribly constructed that the rear wheel was damaged (by the factory), the ECU had to be replaced due to it cutting out and not idling - and it still didn't run properly after that, it pitched me off the road twice becaue it kept cutting out mid corner, the side stand switch failed at speed and shut the bike down (again). The gearbox had more false neutrals than gears, brake lines were hanging off... it was a shocker.

So... I have a 2nd new 1100, and I like it. Learning to love it. Yes it handles better than the Trumpy ever did, but I still have a slightly sour taste in my mouth from the experience.

Power wise, I have noticed that I need to be a lot more precise in my gear selection - especially cornering as the 1100 does feel a little lacking after the ease of the 1050 triple.

The Trumpy didn't need the warm up time the two valve Duc need either. That can be a bugger when standing around in the rain waiting for the bike to get to operating temperature. :rolleyes:

I did test a Streetfighter the same day and liked the Monster more, as I fir better on it, and having a 155bhp ride for a daily commute would see me sans licence real quick!.
As for the S version. In Australia the price points are a bit ridiculous.
$20000 plus change gets you an 1100.
Add 3500 and you get an S. That makes it only about $2000 less than a Streetfighter. Chicken feed over the life of 5 year a loan.
If you factor in Termi's (I didn't). A full kit here costs $4900 (YES. 5 grand - hence NOT getting them), which makes a 2 valve Monster 1100 a more expensive (and very underperforming) proposition to a Streetfighter.
So a Monster 1100S with Termi's costs more than a Streetfighter. Doesn't make sense to me. And I'm not rider enough to demand the Ohlin's over the Showa/Sachs

Hope this has been somewhat informative.

Mikey

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the 1100S got a great deal, fitted Termi slipons at the first service because again I got a good deal on them. I rode the SF and liked it but I don't like radiators on bikes especially when they have two of them. I like the simplicity of the air cooled 2 valve motor and they have been around for decades plus I just love the look of the Monster. A mate of mine owns 8 desmo Ducati's and they are very reliable. So far no troubles at all with mine. None. I did have a S3 on order at one stage but then heard of all the corrosion problems Triumph were starting to have and after doing a lot of checking found they weren't kidding and when I pointed it out to all three dealers I was told to basically like it or lump it. So I cancelled my order and bought the 1100S which I should have just done in the first place. I love the Ohlins suspension if for no other reason that they are Ohlins. The name alone is worth the money to me. It is like Fender is to guitars, Ohlins is to bike suspension. I am happy to pay for those beautiful gold forks and I much prefer the gold wheels to the silver ones. I like to keep my bikes and I like to keep them basically standard. Not having Termi's on a Ducati though is like having an electric guitar without an amp. It just had to be done. I added the touring saddle and I ride it until it runs out of fuel with no undue comfort issues and I am no spring chicken. I did get rid of the little plastic fairing and noticed no difference to the wind blast. I will put it back on in 20 or 30 years time when it becomes a classic bike. My only concern is how long those plastic tank panels are going to look like after a few years of use.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I,ve now spent a whole season on my 1100s without any issues at all. For the same money I could have owned many bikes but the 1100 Duc got my vote. I live far from any dealer so I did the first service myself at zero cost.The dealer was hesitant but after talking to the shop manager and telling him which model I had he said it would be no prob as the air cooled 1100 was near unbreakable and especially forgiving to cam belt tension. I put termi's on it right away too but otherwise it will remain original other than maybe painting the rims black and getting orange tank skins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input y'all. Between feedback from here and the S3 forum I've decided to go with the 1100, take delivery tomorrow! :yeah:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Congrats............report back as to how you like it.....lucky sob.......:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Well I've had my new Monster for a little over a month, and after the few chances I've had to ride (work and snow) all I can say is wow. The power is great. The handling is fantastic. Hell even gas mileage is great ~55 mpg. I'll post some pics when she's presentable, road salt and mag-chloride. My only minor gripe is the headlight. It's dim, I guess it's already time for a HID kit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts