Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last weekend i got a new front tire put on my VTX1800 and decided to test ride a 2005 Black Multistrada 1000 DS. Well i loved the test ride and it was only $7600 with 1200 miles.

I picked her up today on a long lunch break. Love the bike and cant wait to learn more about it. Mods, pipes bags ect.

Then main thing i want is a slightly louder deep slipon. Im assuming no need for a PCIII or "race" chip. Any suggestions....not super loud just enough to cover most of the engine and dry clutch.

Also ive seen a kit and it has what appears to be a simple plug in chip addon to the ECU/M. Is this sold seperately too and is it worth the performance gain. Im not after peak hp but a low/mid range boost would be nice.

I saw oil temps close to 230 today in 95+ degree heat. What is the main oil people are using. I use Amsoil 10w40 car formula without friction modifiers in my VTX with a wet clutch.. (Not Energy Conserving) Since the Multi has a dry clutch is using an oil with friction modifiers ok?

Here is my pair of twins. :D

Thank for any suggestions

·
Registered
355 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to the world of Ducati & Multistrada's ..lots of mods here if you do a search through the forums, another great site is www.multistrada.net

Just purchased a Multi 1100s myself a few months ago and love it...have just also fitted a full Zard system, which sounds pretty wick and gets rid of the cat as well...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought i saw a cat under there but wasnt sure the USA model got them. Yes i would like to remove that probably soon also. Ive been researching the bike in the last week.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum.

Scrambles it's not a rumor but fact red is faster :D unless it's a 749 then yellow is faster.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i think both you guys have been misled...is actually a fact that Black Multistrada's are faster and Red 749's are faster!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know my black VTX is faster than any other VTX color ive raced. :D

Today after 2 unintentional wheelies i decided i should pratice slow roll on wheelies a few times just for safety. :yeah:

Sitting down and reading the owners manual now before i ask some stupid questions. :p

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
I envy you. I'm looking forward to the day when I can buy a Multi. I was even searching Cycle Trader late last night, just to look at whats up.

Someone here, I believe it might have been ozducati posted pics of the Zard system and personally in the looks department it is awesome. Cleans up the rear end nicely. It might be that it looks so different than the double barrel standard. However, if I had a Multi, I would be happy with any exhaust upgrade at this point. I was at a meet up of Ducati folks just last week and there were two Multis there, one with exhaust upgrade and one without. The stock mufflers have got to go, unless you like a lame sounding bike.

Congratulations and please post up any ride impressions both pro and con. From what I have read, I rarely hear any negative comments. In fact the only negative that I could recall was someone said their butt was sore after a moderately long ride. Can you say Corbin?

BTW, how do you like the VTX??

I would like to know as a general question to other Multi riders (I hope I don't get railed for asking, like what oil do you use question) in the know, does the Ohlins package make that big of a deal? I ask because from a price point it might be worthwhile to pick up a standard and later as budget permits, custom dial the suspension with a Penske or Ohlins rear and fork internals (springs/valves) and let RickC do it. I think at that point you will have as equal or better set up. The Penske shock next to the Ohlins is impressive in the fit and finish department.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I've never ridden a Multi with Ohlins suspension, but my Aprilia RSV1000 Factory has a full Ohlin package. It's good though I prefer the Penske shocks I've had on my other track bikes. Maybe it's because the Penske shocks were set-up for the bike and me as delivered, the Ohlin needed to be resprung and possibly should have been revalved.

Corbin - urghh ugly, Sargent's the way to go!

Oil: Mobil 1 v-twin or Motul ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thats why i think im going with the Zard, to me it just goes perfectly with the tail. Very clean look. If i gain a hp or 2 thats cool too.

I really want to try a homade cheap slipon using a Kromewerks 2 1/4" HP+ baffle inside a single 3" muffler body. I have the baffles just laying around and fabbing something for just a test would be interesting. :rolleyes: I would just like to see how it sounds.

It looks like gutting/modding the stock can is not easy.

I need bags first though and it looks like the Famsa rear bags are well made but fairly expensive $279 USD roughly? Is there another brand of similar quailty for less? Need to be able to carry 2 6 packs,small camera, 2 packs of smokes and shorts/shoes for the river. :D

Thats the most. Usually just a portable HD, small tool bag and software for work.

Im happy with the stock suspension even though it isnt the S model. Im not a very agressive rider and the current setup exceeds my abilities. Im used to riding a 750lb cruiser with chicken strips the size of my thumb.

I was very surprised to find out im just as comfortable with the Multi's ergonomics on 100 mile plus rides. I have a bad back and i can only ride my friends XB9R about 45 miuntes max and my VTX only gets about 110 to 120 miles to a full tank. I would like to see if they make 1 inch risers that are simple to add to the MTS. One inch back and one up would make the bike fit me perfectly.

Out of all the bikes ive owned the Multi 1000 is probably the bike i will need/want to mod the least to make it just right for me. The VTX is a close 2nd but now im going to make it more of a show bike and for special rides like PGR and fund raisers.

BTW, Bang for the buck. The VTX1800 is a very hard to beat for a heavy cruiser and very dependable. Its a little too refined in some areas but is a great overall value. Mine makes 100+rwhp but is making [email protected] and maxing at 117lbs. IMO torque rules on the street and im addicted to it. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
John said:
I would like to know as a general question to other Multi riders (I hope I don't get railed for asking, like what oil do you use question) in the know, does the Ohlins package make that big of a deal? I ask because from a price point it might be worthwhile to pick up a standard and later as budget permits, custom dial the suspension with a Penske or Ohlins rear and fork internals (springs/valves) and let RickC do it. I think at that point you will have as equal or better set up. The Penske shock next to the Ohlins is impressive in the fit and finish department.
I've talked to a lot of guys that have owned both Multis, with and w/o Ohlins, and they say that the Ohlins does make a difference. Remember, the suspension is one of the Multi's greatest strengths! If you can find an "S", I encourage you to get one. The down side is, of course, the cost when they break, and they might break more often (but it seems the jury's still out on this one).

A lot of guys have had great success with getting the Showa suspension tuned. Penske & Wilbers seems to be the shock options most guys go with. When I can, I'd like to get tuning done by G.M.D. Computrack. http://www.gmdcomputrack.com/ One guy had this done on his non-S model and it only cost $1000, with parts & labor!

For me, I was able to save about $4000 in getting a leftover non-S instead of a brand new 1100S, so it was completely worth it to me. Besides, I'm not such a great rider that I will notice such a huge difference with the "S".

BTW, here is the creme-de-la-creme of Multistrada exhausts, the Multiscarico by MGA:
http://www.ducatimultistrada.it/multi_tech_multiscarico.php

It'll set you back about $2200 delivered to your door!

·
Registered
39 Posts
vduc said:
Oil: Mobil 1 v-twin or Motul ;)
Correction: ONLY Mobil 1 MX4T or Amsoil full synthetic, and ONLY 10W-40. This comes from a certified lubrication engineer who studies motor oil professionally, and owns a Multistrada. All other oils are inferior in some respect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive used the regular Amsoil 10w40 in all my vehicles with very good results. It usually lasts longer unless you have a leak and oil temps may drop upto about 10 degrees in warmer weather.

There are also full synthetics with "friction modifiers" but are not good for wet clutch systems. The bottle will normally have a circle on the back with "Energy Conserving" in the round logo.

Are energy conserving 10w40 full synthetics safe for use in the 2005 dry clutch MTS? Im normally seeing anywhere from 185f-230f oil temp and its been pretty hot here lately. I dont know what oil is in it now but the dealer said it was serviced but he also isnt a Ducati dealer anymore. He couldnt clear the service wrench indicator either.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
Scrambles said:
I've talked to a lot of guys that have owned both Multis, with and w/o Ohlins, and they say that the Ohlins does make a difference. Remember, the suspension is one of the Multi's greatest strengths! If you can find an "S", I encourage you to get one. The down side is, of course, the cost when they break, and they might break more often (but it seems the jury's still out on this one).

A lot of guys have had great success with getting the Showa suspension tuned. Penske & Wilbers seems to be the shock options most guys go with. When I can, I'd like to get tuning done by G.M.D. Computrack. http://www.gmdcomputrack.com/ One guy had this done on his non-S model and it only cost $1000, with parts & labor!

For me, I was able to save about $4000 in getting a leftover non-S instead of a brand new 1100S, so it was completely worth it to me. Besides, I'm not such a great rider that I will notice such a huge difference with the "S".

BTW, here is the creme-de-la-creme of Multistrada exhausts, the Multiscarico by MGA:
http://www.ducatimultistrada.it/multi_tech_multiscarico.php

It'll set you back about $2200 delivered to your door!

Wow, what a system, mama mia... Cool website, but I can't get the English version button to work, dang.

You convinced me, NC Rick for me on a base model with a Penske rear shock and redone forks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Evil....

congrats on the new Multi, that looks like a screamin' deal.

I've had both an '04 ds & an '06 s. The Showa's are great, I thought. The Ohlins are a bit more plush, they transfer a bit less energy from the bumps to you, but the Showa's are excellent.

There are many choices for replacement cans, but the big improvement comes from replacing the header. I like the Staintune, it moves the header to a location that is almost impossible to scrap, and makes oil changes easier. By replacing the header, the engine breaths much better, throttle response is much improved...and you lose weight and add a little hp. I've had both Termi and Staintune cans...both sound great, I like the look of the Staintunes a bit more. The Zard doesn't do much for me, but to each their own.

Enjoy the new ride. scott

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far so good.

I had a Ducati dealer give it a quick look over and says everything looks and sounds good. I really dont like this dealer because of previous issues.They are supposed to have good Ducati mechanics but after talking to the service manager who also has a 2005 Multi im having my doubts. The next closest dealer is at least 100miles away.

He told me any slipon mufflers even with the DB killers will require a DP race ECU or a trim adjustment. Other fuel managers also but he doesnt like them. I made sure he understood ONLY a slipon for now. At least he said a valve adjustment was $250 and that didnt seem too bad. Just BSing with him for a few minutes left me with the feeling of uncertainy.

Im very picky about who works on my bikes and i do 90% of the services myself after learning how to do it the right way. He also told me i couldnt adjust/replace the belts myself without several special tools. Ive watched the youtube video and im sure i could do that.

BTW i bought some cheaper $70 Dowco small saddle bags for now. They seem to work fine and ive got over 600 miles since i got it. Here are a few pics from my campsite over looking the Meramec river near Sullivan Mo.

and

You can see the rest at

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=5622&ppuser=383

I got to play around mildy on the old logging roads and i just love this bike. It has a unique character that is hard to describe. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts