Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have done a lot more research before purchasing but it just looked so sexy... I couldn't resist and made a fairly rash purchase (for me at least). Now I need to start learning more about the bike.
Here is most of what she has had done. She's in good shape but has a few nicks/random scratches. I spent a an hour or two on her today and man is she fun. I'm not sure I like riding her more than my Tuono but I get even more stares and smiles on this beauty than I do on the T. Both bikes are such a hoot, just crazy fun. At first I thought my Tuono was a bit faster but after riding for a while I think the Duc's speed is more deceiving.
Please direct my attention to any threads that I ought to read or offer any advice as I'm itching to learn more. I've been riding for a while and this isn't my first twin or Italian bike (Tuono among other jap twins). But it is my first Duc.
She's got 10,000 miles on her.
2002 998
Here's a list of most of the aftermarket stuff... Marchesini Magnesium wheels * Termignoni 57mm CF racing exhaust * dedicated ECU and adjustable fuel trimer * * carbon fiber rear fender / chain guard by Ducati Performance * carbon fiber exhaust guard by Ducati Performance * "STM" body plug kit * carbon fiber Ducati Corsa rear seat section * titanium fully adjustable rear seat by "SATO" * reverse "GP" shift pattern * titanium rear brake lever * quick release fairing locks * "STM" breather kit * "STM" clutch slave cylinder ( larger) * RCM clutch and front sprocket covers * new clutch with harder springs and pressure plate * radiator guard * " Brembo" radial brake master cylinder with fully adjustable lever * smoke windscreen by " Zero Gravity" * hard plastic front brake lines by " Frein'' * high friction brake pads by "Ferodo' * high intensity 100watts halogen bulbs * Carbon fiber gas tank * carbon fiber front fender * carbon fiber airbox * carbon fiber air runners * carbon fiber front fairing casoli * carbon fiber under tail and a few more goodies. Got a decent price and the guy even threw in a rashed set of plastics and tank if I want to swap for the track and a brand new pair of Oxtar Evo Ti boots that he bought and never wore :)
Here's a few pics, I just thought I'd share...

Thanks for looking and for any pertinent info,
Toran

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Is that a Challenge Stradale in the background?
One of my favourites of the V8s
Welcome to the Ducati family.
I hope you enjoy your 998 as much as I'm sure you've enjoyed your CS

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought I ought to share a pic of my Tuono as well, we can all appreciate another Italian beauty right :)
03 Aprilia Tuono. GP worked over forks, Penske Triple rear, Full Akropovic exhaust with CF Mivv GP cans, PC3, Sargent seat, ASV levers, Accu line rear sets, CRG hindsight mirrors, bad gas mileage :)

Thanks for looking,
Toran

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that a Challenge Stradale in the background?
One of my favourites of the V8s
Welcome to the Ducati family.
I hope you enjoy your 998 as much as I'm sure you've enjoyed your CS
You noticed the Ferrari in the garage?? :) It's not mine... it's the 998's previous owner, the pics were shot at his place before I took it home. He did let me take the car out for a quick spin before I left. I floored it at one point and went to hit the paddle to shift into the next gear but I was pinned so hard in my seat that instead of the paddle I hit the windshield wipers :eek:
It was a very fun car to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Very nice Toran. I knew that pic of your bike from the Aprilia forum. I also received a Duck for a birthday present. My Tuono is being redone and still waiting on paint work. The Duck's are definately right up your alley if you have a T. Just two Italian girlfriends from different parts of the country thats all.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
The very first thing you should do is go to the Ducati Maintenance page Ducati and get the parts manual for your bike... just enter the Year (2002), Family (Superbike), Model (998) and Language. This manual is an exploded view of all the main and sub assemblies for your specific bike, and has the stock part numbers for each. Invaluable.

If you plan on doing ANY work yourself, it is a good idea to get a workshop manual as well. I was able to find a .pdf version for my '02 748R and it has proven to be the perfect way to go as it can be viewed electronically with an iPad or any other tablet which supports Acrobat. If you are fine with the actual paper manual Pro Italia has them, although they are a bit pricey.

Vendors whose URL's you should keep onhand:
Pro Italia Pro Italia
MotoWheels Motowheels-Motorcycle Performance Products for Ducati, MV Agusta, Aprilia, KTM - Rancho Cordova - Sacramento
Fast By Ferracci Fast By Ferracci ® - Ducati, MV Agusta, Husqvarna, Moto Guzzi, Bimota, Vespa, Piaggio and Cagiva - Plus: High performance motorcycle and racing parts

These are just a few of many very good vendors, I listed them because I have had VERY good experiences with them. Shift Tech Carbon Performance Parts for Ducati 1098 999 916 BWM K1200 R1200MV Agusta Suzuki Yamaha Gilles Rear Sets is also VERY good, but looking at that bike I really don't think you are going to need any more Carbon Parts, but just in case...

Some other really good vendors that I have heard mentioned are Gotham Cycles and Ducati of Omaha.

This is a start, hopefully others will share their experiences with you as well. Beautiful bike sir, absolutely stunning. Enjoy her and ride her like you stole her...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The very first thing you should do is go to the Ducati Maintenance page Ducati and get the parts manual for your bike... just enter the Year (2002), Family (Superbike), Model (998) and Language. This manual is an exploded view of all the main and sub assemblies for your specific bike, and has the stock part numbers for each. Invaluable.

If you plan on doing ANY work yourself, it is a good idea to get a workshop manual as well. I was able to find a .pdf version for my '02 748R and it has proven to be the perfect way to go as it can be viewed electronically with an iPad or any other tablet which supports Acrobat. If you are fine with the actual paper manual Pro Italia has them, although they are a bit pricey.

Vendors whose URL's you should keep onhand:
Pro Italia Pro Italia
MotoWheels Motowheels-Motorcycle Performance Products for Ducati, MV Agusta, Aprilia, KTM - Rancho Cordova - Sacramento
Fast By Ferracci Fast By Ferracci ® - Ducati, MV Agusta, Husqvarna, Moto Guzzi, Bimota, Vespa, Piaggio and Cagiva - Plus: High performance motorcycle and racing parts

These are just a few of many very good vendors, I listed them because I have had VERY good experiences with them. Shift Tech Carbon Performance Parts for Ducati 1098 999 916 BWM K1200 R1200MV Agusta Suzuki Yamaha Gilles Rear Sets is also VERY good, but looking at that bike I really don't think you are going to need any more Carbon Parts, but just in case...

Some other really good vendors that I have heard mentioned are Gotham Cycles and Ducati of Omaha.

This is a start, hopefully others will share their experiences with you as well. Beautiful bike sir, absolutely stunning. Enjoy her and ride her like you stole her...
Very very helpful, thanks so much ProphetPVD...
Toran

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice Toran. I knew that pic of your bike from the Aprilia forum. I also received a Duck for a birthday present. My Tuono is being redone and still waiting on paint work. The Duck's are definately right up your alley if you have a T. Just two Italian girlfriends from different parts of the country thats all.
Hey Wiley... nice to see a familiar face over here :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
tscott....great bike...looks like you got a good one, so congrats.

That tail looks pretty good on it but if it were mine I'd look to revert back to the original...but that's just me :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tscott....great bike...looks like you got a good one, so congrats.

That tail looks pretty good on it but if it were mine I'd look to revert back to the original...but that's just me :D
Thanks lwp... I actually prefer this tail to the orignal :) but honestly both styles look great (I just like that it's set apart a bit from other Duc's :) ).

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Thanks lwp... I actually prefer this tail to the orignal :) but honestly both styles look great (I just like that it's set apart a bit from other Duc's :) ).
I like the original Tamburini design, but I have to admit, on THIS bike, that tail looks pretty fucking awesome.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anything special to pay attention to with the Magnesium rims? They were painted (not powder coated) as they were gold originally. Anything special for tire changes or the like?
Oh, and what are the recommended tire pressures for the 998? I'll try the search function as well but thought I'd ask here as well.
Thanks,
Toran

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Anything special to pay attention to with the Magnesium rims? They were painted (not powder coated) as they were gold originally. Anything special for tire changes or the like?
Oh, and what are the recommended tire pressures for the 998? I'll try the search function as well but thought I'd ask here as well.
Thanks,
Toran
I have the same Marchesini Mags on my R... in normal use you should be okay, just make sure that ANY scratches or gouges in the paint are filled pronto. When left unprotected, magnesium corrodes and pits quickly in all but the most arid environments. The only other thing to keep in mind, and this is especially pertinent if you live in an area of the country which sees "winter", is that if you hit a good sized pothole it may be a good idea to get the wheel inspected. Due to it's micro structure Magnesium is not as "flexible" (pun intended) in daily use as Aluminum. At some point it may be a REALLY good idea to get those powder and then clear coated.

Just stay on top of this and you will be fine. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Oh, and what are the recommended tire pressures for the 998? I'll try the search function as well but thought I'd ask here as well...
One more thing, you may have already found this, but the search function on this forum sucks. Use Google (or Bing) and use the "site" prefix for a search. An example would be:

"site http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes 998 tire pressure"

That string will let you search this forum for any posts with those three keywords.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Proph... there are a couple little nicks/scratches... I'll have to get on them... Just tape off the stuff you don't want hit and use a rattle can or is there a special paint I need? I don't have to pull the wheels to touch up some spots do I?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Very individualized 998. With the exception of the blue frame plugs and maybe the Ferreri sticker, it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So like I said, I should have researched everything a bit more before buying but couldn't resist. I paid $6,400 for the bike with 10,000 miles, she does a have a few nicks/random scratches but overall looks pretty good... so... is that a fair price? I thought it might be a tad high if stock but with all the cf and a few upgrades with the Mag wheels, Brembo master cylinder and ohlins steering damper I hope you guys will concur it was at least fair? I'm just hoping I don't lose my shirt if I need to sell in the future, that's all. Just looking for some reassurance :) but I'm a big boy and would like to hear some real (educated) opinions.
Thanks,
T

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very individualized 998. With the exception of the blue frame plugs and maybe the Ferreri sticker, it looks pretty good.
agree with the blue frame plugs... red, grey or black would have been better imo...

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Thanks Proph... there are a couple little nicks/scratches... I'll have to get on them... Just tape off the stuff you don't want hit and use a rattle can or is there a special paint I need? I don't have to pull the wheels to touch up some spots do I?
I wouldn't bother with a spray can... too much work and probably very difficult to feather into the rest of the paint. I use ColorRite (Motorcycle Paint - ColorRite) touch up on mine, however mine are the same stock "Champagne" color as the frame on the '02's. Not sure if your wheels are a high, medium or low gloss, but I have to think that somewhere on their site they have a color which will match. I have never seen any specifically for black wheels, as the stock wheels are typically aluminum, but I would imagine that you could probably match color from a bike with a black frame.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So like I said, I should have researched everything a bit more before buying but couldn't resist. I paid $6,400 for the bike with 10,000 miles, she does a have a few nicks/random scratches but overall looks pretty good... so... is that a fair price? I thought it might be a tad high if stock but with all the cf and a few upgrades with the Mag wheels, Brembo master cylinder and ohlins steering damper I hope you guys will concur it was at least fair? I'm just hoping I don't lose my shirt if I need to sell in the future, that's all. Just looking for some reassurance :) but I'm a big boy and would like to hear some real (educated) opinions.
Thanks,
T
I think it's a good price, especially with the wheels. Suckers are expensive! Exhaust is also. I wanted a 998s, but settled for a 996s (suckers are hard to find!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts