Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Ducati 748
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi Cedez, my condolences to you, and your family. I’m just over the hill in Fairfield. There are a few other members here in VV too....we have enough locals between VV, FF and Travis to have our own bike night! Hit me up if you need assistance with anything.....sean
Awesome thank you! I actually got this bike off of someone in Fairfield so you might've seen it around

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Makes sense, do you guys recommend doing it yourself or taking it in? I'm a city heavy duty bus mechanic but bikes are bikes lol... Also does anyone know if adding one of those aftermarket gear indicators works or not?
If you've ever done a timing belt replacement on an engine then you have a good idea of what's involved. However, if you've never worked on a Ducati before, then taking it to a reputable dealer wouldn't be the worst decision you ever made.

Personally, if it's affordable, I'd have the dealership take care of it. One less thing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
My condolences on the loss of your daughter. Belt change alone is not difficult, especially given your a mechanic and plenty of videos out there just to familiarize yourself first. As for the gear indicator. I ordered a couple cheap universal ones on eBay, (my wife prefers having them) put them on 2 of her bikes and they work surprisingly well. Easy install and set up.

Reactions: Cedez707

·
Registered
2000 Ducati 748
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My condolences on the loss of your daughter. Belt change alone is not difficult, especially given your a mechanic and plenty of videos out there just to familiarize yourself first. As for the gear indicator. I ordered a couple cheap universal ones on eBay, (my wife prefers having them) put them on 2 of her bikes and they work surprisingly well. Easy install and set up.
Thank you I'll give that a try!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Man, words cannot express.. I am so sorry for your loss! Road therapy has always been a go-to for me because it brings one into the here & now. Just don't ride in anger, as nothing good comes of that.

Do the cam belts yourself, it should be easy with your background. Just pay attention and don't grenade your engine '🥵 That way you'll start to get to know your bike really well. Very important to your wallet and confidence on the road.

The Desmoquattro valves, well thats more of a voodoo art, tiny dang access ports, but doable. Maybe at least check the clearances yourself before you cane her. so u know what u got. That part of the work is the easiest part of the job, but its tough to get a good "read" on the closing rockers, at least for me. I triple check my closer readings.

Reactions: Cedez707
21 - 27 of 27 Posts