Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently located to Connecticut from Boulder, Colorado. Brought the ST4S, looking for routes and riders.

-Bill

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome Bill.
Theres are lots of us here in the area. Check out MOTO-MAPS they have realy nice laminated flip chart maps of most of the New England states and lots more.
I remember when they only did 4 states....
When i used to sell them if someone picekd one up to look they allways came back for more. My wife and I love to do the loops.

Moto-Maps - Scenic Rides

Tony aka 44dwarf

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Welcome to New England, Bill.

I grew up in NW CT. Beautiful riding roads up there in Litchfield County, and up into the Berkshire Mts. of Mass. (These would be all foothills to you, coming outta Colorado!). But nice twisty roads.

Oh, there are a few ST gents in CT. I'm sure they'll chime in.

Hey, be sure to EDIT your profile -- signature block-- and put in the year and bike(s) that you have (other brands are permitted in that list, too!)

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I'm in north east CT. Decent riding up here. Doubtful it will be anything like Colorado. I moved here from south east VA a few years ago, so it seems pretty nice to me!

Also check out the local Desmo Owners Club.

NEDOC.org

One of the leading members is down your way. The season opening group ride is May 20th. Called Meet in the Middle. We all meet up at a BBQ place in Vermont (Yes, I said BBQ in Vermont.... It's actually very good). Each major area of New England will have a ride leader and everyone from that area meets up somewhere and we all ride to Vermont together for lunch. Check it out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Man i did know about this ride to the "8th wonder of the world!"
I love Curtis's ribs!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I live in Lebanon, CT and have spent a lot of time riding in New England since about 1975. IMO there is no good riding in CT except for the northwest corner. I also have quite a bit of experience riding in CO having made several trips out there on motorcycles over the years. Anything north of CT in New England offers decent riding but the best riding in the east is in the non-coastal areas of NC, VA, TN and thereabouts. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Yes, the place is very good! Are you saying you did know? If not head on over to NEDOC. Not sure who's leading the group from out your way, but the CT group has been meeting up in Otis, MA. I think it will be the same this year, waiting for the route to be posted.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Should have mentioned that if you want to just go for a leisurely ride to a decent breakfast place the Vanilla Bean (Pomfret, CT) on Sundays is a good place. Lots of bikes and the occasional interesting car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
welcome, there are a lot of sweet spots, find 37 or 39 coming out of Danbury to the north, make your way to 7, take that all the way to Cornwall Bridge and bear left onto 4, tight on 41 in Sharon, which goes all the way to Great Barrington MA. Good restaurants in Lakeville and Salisbury, watch for cops in MA. Or take Long Ridge Rd right out of Stamford to Bedford, NY and join 121 to the end, take 22 a few miles to rte 55 which joins 7. We used to make a game of trying to get from White Plain airport to MA without using 22 or 7 ( crossing ok ), good times ! Going to look up that NEDOC meet though... Donn

·
Registered
84 Posts
nice choice - I traded up from an r1150gs last fall, still learning my way around...

I'll pm you next time I'll be by... Donn

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Lots of Sennas around here these days...

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Hey, Bill - Welcome to the ST looney bin!

Most active club in the NYC area is DESMO: http://www.desmoducati.org/index.html
You get information by signing up on the Yahoo site: DESMO : Ducati Enthusiast Sport Motorcycle Org. There's a DESMO track day coming up on June 11 (I'll be there on my 999), and usually there's an event every month or so, sometimes cancelled for whatever reason.

There's a fall gathering of Italian motorcycle riders, generally in September: Join the Club I met up with Dan there by accident last year.

There's an ST group, entitled ST2, but really inhabited by the full spectrum, also on Yahoo: st2_owners : Ducati Sport Touring

Until last year there was a southern CT group of Duc riders out of Waterbury that rode some weekends, but the leader of the pack got injured and it seems to have become quite. I'll let you know if things start to come back on line.

You have to pay attention to the county mounties here in southern CT - some radar detector manufacturers come here to test their equipment! Ask me how I know . . . :rolleyes:

Send me a PM, and we'll meet up sometime. Stamford is just 20 minutes away. There're some really nice rides just over the NY line, up into Dutchess county and into Litchfield. Stick and Bruce are on the money there.

And, yeh, Dan's right that for some reason there's a lot of Sennas around. No accounting for taste, I guess.

Ron

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I don't think of my bike as a "Senna" but I guess it's the paint scheme. My buddy David from Madison, CT has the same in his ST4S. Actually just put a Sargent seat on it this week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I don't think of my bike as a "Senna" but I guess it's the paint scheme.
Yeah, I don’t think there were really any Senna SS or ST bikes officially. I had a Colorite touch up paint stick at one point (before it dried up) that I am pretty sure was marked as Senna Grey though;).

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth here, but I lived in Norwalk and worked in Stamford in the late '80's and used to love bombing around Brewster NY and tearing up Merritt Pky in my 72 455 H.O. GTO. I know, its a car, but I was between bikes and what a car it was, M-22 trans screaming etc... Also, all good gearheads should visit the New England Air Museum, some very interesting stuff there.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Welcome Bill.
Theres are lots of us here in the area. Check out MOTO-MAPS they have realy nice laminated flip chart maps of most of the New England states and lots more.
I remember when they only did 4 states....
When i used to sell them if someone picekd one up to look they allways came back for more. My wife and I love to do the loops.

Moto-Maps - Scenic Rides

Tony aka 44dwarf
Thanks for the link to Moto Maps! I checked it out and ordered the CT/RI and MA maps. Came in today. Great quality. Got the holder too. These maps are going to be a great way to break out of the "box" I tend to ride in lately. My mission this summer is going to be trying to hit them all.

·
Registered
503 Posts
We had a great turnout on Sunday. The weather was superb for a change and people just kept showing up.

Glad you hooked up with us eventually Bill. I actually work in my Stamford myself though live in Trumbull.

As for Senna's, 4 of the 7 bikes from my route were Senna's, including my SS, which I thought was pretty cool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts