Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings forum,
my first bike was a 175cc ducati scrambler type, then 250, 350 and even a sand cast f3
i used for club races in the north east. finally i own a v2 ducati. i just closed on 98 st2 with 4100 miles and have been making myself dizzy looking at various online manuals, even a
utube vid.
i expect to change the timing belts, there is a set under the seat, so ok, you pull off various body panels, plugs, line up the flywheel and belt timing marks and change the belts. i am not to clear on the best method to set the belt tension without the official ducati device or should i purchase the factory tool. any further details/resources on setting the tension would be appreciated. after all is said and done, spin the motor by hand to make sure there is no piston to valve contact button it up and ride.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Congratulations on getting the ST and welcome to the forum, I like you'll be happy with both. You opened up a bit of a can of worms right off the bat though. The factory tool is quite expensive and not feasible unless you're going to make it an occupation.

There are some clever folks have have set up a harmonic device, you can find it with the search function. Then there's guys like me commit blasphemy and do it by feel.

You said the belts were under the seat. Do you mean a spare set in the tool tray? Make sure they are the newer Kevlar type, I believe identified with red writing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yes the spare belts are under the seat. i was hoping for a bit of clarification on the 5-6mm
allen key, go, no go technique. i will not pickup the bike up till next week and it is just over 1 hour away, so i can not say if the belts are kevlar or fiberglass. i plan to keep the bike for 2 riding seasons and then i will need to sell it as i will be moving to the philippines. so i am thinking to use the spare belts that come with the bike. i maybe off base but i have had a alfa's with belts and they used to like to collect a stone or 2 from time to time. does the st2 belts also have this stone collecting trait?
would using a fish scale and setting up some load vs deflection marks be a feasible method, i would use the in situ belts as the baseline data point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts