Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1998 ST2 with 19,000 miles. Before I even took possession I had the belts changed and timing checked. All good there.

My first ride, the bike died on my on the highway due to electrical issues. Back to the shop, I was told the problem was fixed by changing the ignition relay. Well, not fixed. Second ride, same problem.

This time however, when I wiggled the battery tender cable it seemed to clear the problem, at least for a few seconds, then it would come back here and there while riding it around my neighborhood. Took all the fairings off but could not duplicate the issue. The bike is back in the shop and I hope to find out in a day or two what's up.

The voltage regulator was replaced under warranty a while back.

Curious for input from others as to what look for.

thanks

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I'd start ensuring all electrical connections are both tight and clean (disconnect, clean, reconnect)...starting with the battery terminals with an intermittent problem such as it seems you have. :)

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, all of the connections seem to be tight and clean. Both the mechanic checked and I did as well, as much as I could on my own. I'm not a mechanic. My mechanic is NOT trying to work me over. There wasn't any known issue in the first place. After the first incident he took care of me for free on the second. I hope to hear tomorrow or the next day what's what. I've read a few things about 'gremlins' on the 98 models. Not sure what all they may be, but I'm VERY nervous after just having bought this bike.

I appreciate any help I can find.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
On a LONG trip, a friend's 1999 ST2, one year old at the time, died late at night. Turned out to be the neg. connection at the battery. When taken apart, these cable ends looked clean, but I was seeing 12V from the ends to the battery post (thank goodness the ST gent bought along a 12V test light!!!!).

I think we used a knife or something to scrape the ends shiney, put it back together and we were off. Not fun at 10PM, no moon, no streetlights. The weird thing was that they "LOOKED FINE", but it was "open circuit".

I just had my new (to me) ST4S apart last night, and made sure all this stuff was in order.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Regulator

I have had 3 of these and everyone I replaced the 2 phase voltage regulator with the newer 3 phase one and never had problems again. I think the older regulators are weak and burn out easily.
You will have to join all the wires and make one of the connectors work.

I recently bought a 1998 ST2 with 19,000 miles. Before I even took possession I had the belts changed and timing checked. All good there.

My first ride, the bike died on my on the highway due to electrical issues. Back to the shop, I was told the problem was fixed by changing the ignition relay. Well, not fixed. Second ride, same problem.

This time however, when I wiggled the battery tender cable it seemed to clear the problem, at least for a few seconds, then it would come back here and there while riding it around my neighborhood. Took all the fairings off but could not duplicate the issue. The bike is back in the shop and I hope to find out in a day or two what's up.

The voltage regulator was replaced under warranty a while back.

Curious for input from others as to what look for.

thanks

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info on replacing the 2 phase regulator with the 3. This is greek to me, but would you suspect that if I mention this to my mechanic he would know what you are speaking of? Is this tricky to do/expensive?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Thanks for the info on replacing the 2 phase regulator with the 3. This is greek to me, but would you suspect that if I mention this to my mechanic he would know what you are speaking of? Is this tricky to do/expensive?
Have a look in the Hall Of Wisdom section on this forum, and you will come across a few articles relating to electrical problems, these should help you understand things better.

Craig

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the hall of wisdom idea. I did have a look through that but didn't find anything that is similar to what's going on with my bike. I would love to find someone else that has a bike that just stops running at speed and dies...

This situation is really killing me. I've now owned my bike for two weeks, have ridden it on two 40 mile rides-from the shop to my house and both rides, I didn't make it home...

·
Registered
211 Posts
tahoe, check your other post at ducati motor chat .i wrote you a couple of suggestions there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
st faults 1998 year +

hello
first thing if the dc volts that is battery volts drop to 11.5 volts the ecu will go to sleep and stop the bike if you search on this web you will see a lot of ducati riders fit a dc volt meter in to the right hand panel to thr right of the clocks
ref the reg/rec you can fit a honda type buy on e.bay or harley type you have a 1 phase stator and a shunt reg/rec i have placed a air scoop on mine to cool the reg/rc as i drive but not to much heat this side of the pond
mike shannon st2 n.ireland u.k.
sorry cant up load pics to big

·
Registered
182 Posts
My bike was intermittently shutting off and it all stopped after I swapped the relays under the seat. One goes to the fan the other to the fuel pump. That confirmed the problem and I got a replacement relay at AutoZone for $2.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My bike was intermittently shutting off and it all stopped after I swapped the relays under the seat. One goes to the fan the other to the fuel pump. That confirmed the problem and I got a replacement relay at AutoZone for $2.
Check all battery connections. Replace stock battery cables with high-quality 6 gage battery cables.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts