Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Morning, My name is Max and I have a problem... I keep buying Ducatis!
I just put a deposit down on a 2013 Multi GT with about 2900 miles. I have owned several Ducatis over the years and still have two in my garage. Can anyone tell me what if anything I should look for when buying this? I placed a deposit for this bike which is sitting about four hours away from me. The first I will actually see the bike in person will be the day I go and pick it up, which is later this week.
I have read about some electrical issues and such so any ideas as to what I am getting my self into would be greatly appreciated
Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

Registered
Ton of threads on this. Just search the MTS subforum for 'what to look for' 馃榿

Check for and verify service records keeping in mind that even though the bike has <3k on the clock, there are still age-related maintenance items that need addressed (belts, tires, fluids, etc.).

You said 'GS', did you mean GT? GT should have aux lights, heated grips, center stand, top and larger side cases.

Tons of other related info in these threads:

Registered
Max i feel your pain....
I just bought a 2016 Multi with 5k kms on it and it's in brand new condition, had to wait a month, bought it sight unseen as well...
I love it, as for yours, as @[email protected] says, as long as the fluids tyres and belts are good you should be fine. Sure, some bikes have issues here and there, the dash is a known problem on the early bikes and the dreaded fuel sender but they're not to worry about until they occur.... I doubt you will find anything wrong with it with those miles, obviously look for signs of crash damage, and if it's been stored up look carefully for nicks, bumps, scratches etc. You can see the age of the tyres on the sidewalls, if there's no receipts for belts or fluids assume they haven't been done and get that done straight away, bargain for extra dollars off???

Registered
I had that exact bike. The issues I had from biggest to smallest was:
-electronic rear shock no longer functioned properly. It wouldn鈥檛 hold the preload and would seem to collapse a bit after a few miles. A simple shock refresh from race tech did nothing. I ended up getting lucky and buying a used unit off a member here.
-electronic front forks seemed to have the 鈥渃lunk鈥 issue that鈥檚 often discussed with these but functionally, it seemed fine so I never addressed it.
-heated grips stopped working. I replaced the weak ducati unit with an aftermarket heating element from tucker rocky (I believe) and wired up to the stock wires. Worked better and never gave me issues again.
-rear tire would last only 2-3k miles. This was my fault鈥攅njoyed twisting that throttle too much.

All things considered, it鈥檚 an amazing bike. Enjoy it!

PS- you may also want to look into a better windscreen since for my height and helmet, the wind buffeting from the stock screen was the worst I鈥檝e experienced on any bike (which was magnified by the speeds i would often find myself traveling on this bike).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ton of threads on this. Just search the MTS subforum for 'what to look for' 馃榿

Check for and verify service records keeping in mind that even though the bike has <3k on the clock, there are still age-related maintenance items that need addressed (belts, tires, fluids, etc.).

You said 'GS', did you mean GT? GT should have aux lights, heated grips, center stand, top and larger side cases.

Tons of other related info in these threads:

Thank You so much for the references, I haven't been active on the forum for a while, but I knew this was the place to get answers for sure

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max i feel your pain....
I just bought a 2016 Multi with 5k kms on it and it's in brand new condition, had to wait a month, bought it sight unseen as well...
I love it, as for yours, as @[email protected] says, as long as the fluids tyres and belts are good you should be fine. Sure, some bikes have issues here and there, the dash is a known problem on the early bikes and the dreaded fuel sender but they're not to worry about until they occur.... I doubt you will find anything wrong with it with those miles, obviously look for signs of crash damage, and if it's been stored up look carefully for nicks, bumps, scratches etc. You can see the age of the tyres on the sidewalls, if there's no receipts for belts or fluids assume they haven't been done and get that done straight away, bargain for extra dollars off???
Thanks for your reply. I spoke to the dealer today and asked about maintenance and recalls that might have been performed. He found that all the recalls were up to date and mentioned that the belts were replaced as well. So aside from tires I should be in good shape once I get to actually see the bike in person. I'm really looking forward to this new experience, coming from Super Sports this will be quite the change for me, but a pinched nerve in my right wrist has made me realize that I need a change. Seeing a neurologist next week, I hope this will heal soon enough, but I really look forward to getting on this bike and hopefully getting some miles and new experiences under my belt

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had that exact bike. The issues I had from biggest to smallest was:
-electronic rear shock no longer functioned properly. It wouldn鈥檛 hold the preload and would seem to collapse a bit after a few miles. A simple shock refresh from race tech did nothing. I ended up getting lucky and buying a used unit off a member here.
-electronic front forks seemed to have the 鈥渃lunk鈥 issue that鈥檚 often discussed with these but functionally, it seemed fine so I never addressed it.
-heated grips stopped working. I replaced the weak ducati unit with an aftermarket heating element from tucker rocky (I believe) and wired up to the stock wires. Worked better and never gave me issues again.
-rear tire would last only 2-3k miles. This was my fault鈥攅njoyed twisting that throttle too much.

All things considered, it鈥檚 an amazing bike. Enjoy it!
Thank You! I look forward to it, and I hope I won't experience any Gremlins like you did any time soon

Registered
Thank You! I look forward to it, and I hope I won't experience any Gremlins like you did any time soon
Just to touch on the clunking issue- I've got it as well. It's annoying, but nothing detrimental to the bike in any way. I've just learned to live with it. Don't let that scare you if you do hear it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts