Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just acquired my personal dream sportclassic, a well sorted gt1000 in creme/black from a forum member. It was delivered this morning (I do *not* recommend Premier Motorcycle Transport, while the bike was shipped well and in good condition, communication was terrible and it went from CA to IL to TX then back to NM with zero explanation so 3-5 days became 2+ weeks).

It's pretty much good to go as-is so I don't really have anything immediately on the list except to get some miles on her. 999 wheel swap, termis, ecu, suspension, etc... I feel extremely lucky and am happy to finally be riding a Ducati. I plan to remove the windshield and bags for regular rides.

My other bikes are a '70 Honda CB350k2 I restored and an '08 Suzuki V-Strom DL650.

Cheers!

-- Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
She looks beautiful- congrats!

Just get out on the open road and enjoy that DS engine at 5k/70mph in 5th gear! Nothing better! It's like a swiss watch (with ear plugs in, you can really hear how happy she is).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Congratulations! Bike looks great with some nice mods! Fortunately the bags clip right on and off. The windshield is another story. I have one I bought from a forum member, only to find it pushed wind right at my face. It's sitting on a shelf. Had it worked out, I was thinking of someway to make it more easily removable. Also, if you find your bike too loud without baffles and too quiet with them, check out Desmoworld's Db eaters. They're just right for me. Enjoy your bike!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm really interested in tracking down a center stand for ease of maintenance tasks, is there a go to source for these? I know the track stands are popular, but was considering more for long distance touring as well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm really interested in tracking down a center stand for ease of maintenance tasks, is there a go to source for these? I know the track stands are popular, but was considering more for long distance touring as well.
Great addition for touring, but they're like hens teeth. FYI, the SC Sport center-stand will also fit the GT with slight modification, so that expands your options.

I put a wanted to buy add on Ducati.ms, and miraculously it was answered. They come up on ebay every now and then, but the bidding can get crazy, like $500+
You could also try asking on this facebook group .

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Very nice ride! Congrats, I'm sure it feels great finding your dream bike in such great shape.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great addition for touring, but they're like hens teeth. FYI, the SC Sport center-stand will also fit the GT with slight modification, so that expands your options.

I put a wanted to buy add on Ducati.ms, and miraculously it was answered. They come up on ebay every now and then, but the bidding can get crazy, like $500+
You could also try asking on this facebook group .

Thanks for the pointers! I'm not able to post in the classifieds yet... but will keep it in mind. Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well... she left me stranded yesterday. :-/ Rode great for ~20 miles, stopped at a gas station, and she wouldn't start back up. At first I thought immobilizer, but when turned on the gauges didn't sweep and the lights didn't light up... so I then went down the battery troubleshooting tree. After getting to the battery and successfully jumping it I thought I was in the clear. Shifting the battery back into position, the bike died again and acted like it was dead/not there so I suspected the electrical connections themselves. The engine ground looked good so I pulled apart the battery terminals and there was light corrosion so I cleaned it up... the bike now turns on but the instrument panel oil and neutral light was very weak. The instrument panel relay would continuously click (so I suspect it's lacking the correct power to hold it shut) and only go through a partial sweep. After a while I was towed home. Having done some reading I plan to pull all battery connections, clean/dress them with dielectric grease. I've also ordered the upgrade motolectric cables to upgrade the starting system as a friend noted it took a few turns of the starter to start the bike up. Is there an R/R validation test? AFAIK, it is the original component. When I popped the seat the R/R was quite warm (normal operation or electrical resistance from bad charging cables/corrosion?) so I'm considering relocating it below for more air-flow. I also need to test the battery and verify it wasn't the issue. I guess I'm just writing all of this down to collect my thoughts. Please chime in if I've missed anything otherwise I can't wait to get back on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a full 24 hours on the charger, the battery was showing 12.8 volts... when I put it back in and attempted to power on the bike console, it dropped to 5.4V so I declared this battery dead and yesterday purchased a stock YUASA YT12B-BS battery which is charging right now. Fun fact, Cycle Gear (my local option) will price match Summit Racing, so after a quick discussion I was able to acquire the stock battery for $78 instead of $114 which felt pretty good. After the Yuasa has fully charged, I'll report back but I expect that will solve my issues this time.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Fun fact, Cycle Gear (my local option) will price match Summit Racing, so after a quick discussion I was able to acquire the stock battery for $78 instead of $114 which felt pretty good.
I did the same thing with my local Cycle Gear.....they did honor the price but tried to act like they were doing me a favor. I told them it was no big deal, that i didn't mind waiting for Summit to ship it and he quickly changed his tune.

Hopefully, it is just your battery!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
As you probably know, the batteries on these bikes do not last long, typically about two years unless they are kept on a battery tender. You may also have a dead RR, tell tale signs of this is browning of the wires where they enter the RR. There is a lot of info on here about it. I'm still on my original RR, but I don't know how long it will last!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As you probably know, the batteries on these bikes do not last long, typically about two years unless they are kept on a battery tender. You may also have a dead RR, tell tale signs of this is browning of the wires where they enter the RR. There is a lot of info on here about it. I'm still on my original RR, but I don't know how long it will last!
New battery appears to have solved the issue. 12.9V at rest AND during startup cranking. 13.8~14.8V depending on RPMS which tells me the R/R is functioning correctly. I believe it's the OEM R/R as well. Regardless, I plan to relocate below the seat pan for better ventilation and hopefully to extend the life of it. Good luck to both of our stocker R/Rs!

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
The Stock Yuasa battery if set up properly and on trickle charge will last a long time. ost of the Sport Classic that have come through my shop has 3-5 years of service

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts