Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
i keep reading that my ‘07 S4RS came with lighter wheels, but I’ve also read that was BS and although that was what the Factory claimed and the media test bikes had, when finally delivered the S4RS did not actually come with the lighter wheels but instead with the heavier cast wheels. How would I know which I actually have ? There has to be a visual difference or ID number or something.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The engine case has RB57016991.

Looking at the S4RS service manual, US models have different IDs - ZDM1RB5TX is how they start, which matches my frame (that was replaced).

The engine casing also has different identifiers, starting RB5X (with X being the model year), and the remainder being the production number.

Guess I'll find out for 100% certain when I change the timing belts?

What will you find out for certain when you change the belts?

I'm lost as to what you actually want to know...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There was some discussion around this being an SR4RS - I figure when I change the belts, that will reveal if it's a 996 or 998 - the layout is a little different (isn't it?).

·
Registered
550 Posts
There was some discussion around this being an SR4RS - I figure when I change the belts, that will reveal if it's a 996 or 998 - the layout is a little different (isn't it?).

It's a 998, that's easy to see.

It doesn't have to be an S4RS to be a 998 (Testastretta) they made a regular monster with the same engine, which is an S4R but as has been explained on this thread, as there is a S4R already in the earlier series with the 996 (DesmoQuattro) then the S4R with the 998 is referred to as the S4RT.

The engines are completely different from the head gasket up, very easy to tell them apart at a glance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hah
You just want to show off the Tricolore

I WILL own one.
I had an S4RS Tricolore. Unfortunately it had a small accident that bent the frame as well as sundry other parts including the rider.

The S4RS did not have forged wheels which was a rip off in my estimation. Forged wheels are the shit.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Everything I read about the S4RS before I bought one indicated they‘d come with forged wheels . I don’t know what happened. I read on the forum they weren’t forged.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
According to the Interweb the 998 base model used cases similar to the 996 and the R used cases like the 999.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
the 998 shallow sump used cases much the same as the 1000ds and st3.

the 996r/998s used sand cast cases that aren't painted, so they're visually unique.

the 998r has the larger stud spacing to take the 104mm bore.

the 999/999s used a production casting case in both formats. 998s fe used the 999s engine.

the 2005 999 used the 999s engine except for the crank, which was the previous "heavy" base crank and steel rods.

the s4rs used that 2005 999 engine, but with the wide ratio gearbox.

all except the 998r and 999r are the same 100 x 63.5mm bore and stroke giving 997cc, and colloquially referred to here and elsewhere as "998".

21 - 38 of 38 Posts