Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired the Bellisimoto Monster S4RS that was built years ago:

It now has 8100 miles and I just brought it home yesterday. Today I pulled the tank to drain the fuel (P/Os son rode it and couldn't find Ethanol-free fuel in it, so put ethanol in it). Since the pump is out, I'm replacing the fuel filter.

Is this the stock R/R? I'm thinking so just because it looks old.
20191222_144931.jpg

Also a picture - with the tank removed
20191222_170646.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Im not sure if that is the original or not. I had an S4RS Tricolore in 07 but cant remember. It looks like that bike has some trick bits on it. Is it an S model for sure ? I see no Ohlins parts , the blacked out Marzocchis look cool tho. Just curious.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Wow, I didn't know the reg/rect was under the seat on the S4 series. Not much air circulation under there.

Definitely a case for the Mosfet transplant...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VIN checks as a S4R but the thread I linked said it was a S4RS. They replaced a bunch of stuff on it including BST wheels, Bitubo rear race shock Marzocchi forks RAC50 forks.

Wow, I didn't know the reg/rect was under the seat on the S4 series. Not much air circulation under there.

Thanks - I'll unscrew it from the mount and check the part number on it to verify.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Yeah my S2R has it in the same spot. It's still going strong but I got a relocation kit to get some airflow to it. It flips it upside down while also eliminating the external breather box so it gets plenty of airflow now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi, there are some really nice parts you have there! What VIN tells you its an S4R? It is a testastretta engine, cooling fans too. The S4R is different. Perhaps the frame is S4R.
Regardless, looks like fun!

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
PO of my S4RS mounted a “spare” RR under the rear fender so I can just plug it in if I think I have a problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, there are some really nice parts you have there! What VIN tells you its an S4R? It is a testastretta engine, cooling fans too. The S4R is different. Perhaps the frame is S4R.
Regardless, looks like fun!
I ran it through a VIN decoder. Sticker under the seat says it is a 998 though.

Then there is the thread and I kind of doubt Bellisimoto made a mistake.

I'm curious what other S4RS show as in a Vin decoder now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've read owners saying "S4RT", but did Ducati ever use that? I have two S4RS. The last S is for Ohlins suspension. Not sure why someone would change that for Marzocchi. Ah, it was accident damaged. They bought Marzocchi RAC 50 forks and a "new frame and swingarm". Different rims on yours too. Motor looks to be a Testastretta. My batteries sit flat. Clearly a lot of mods on yours.
I'm in Australia.
My 2008 S4RS Tricolore Vin starts out ZDMM417AA8Bxxxxxx Engine number ZDM998W4Cxxxxxx
My 2007 S4RS Vin starts out ZDMM417AA7Bxxxxxx Engine number ZDM998W4Cxxxxxx

Found an exhaust ad with a pic of yr bike. https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/exhausts/exhausts-1/competition-werkes-bellissimoto-exclusive-full-exhaust-for-ducati-monster-s2r-s4r-s4rs

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Logic tells me the factory had to designate the Testastretta version without Ohlins as something different so I have no reason to doubt them. I think it came out before the S4RS. I’m sure the S version was more expensive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've read owners saying "S4RT", but did Ducati ever use that? I have two S4RS. The last S is for Ohlins suspension. Not sure why someone would change that for Marzocchi. Ah, it was accident damaged. They bought Marzocchi RAC 50 forks and a "new frame and swingarm". Different rims on yours too. Motor looks to be a Testastretta. My batteries sit flat. Clearly a lot of mods on yours.
I'm in Australia.
My 2008 S4RS Tricolore Vin starts out ZDMM417AA8Bxxxxxx Engine number ZDM998W4Cxxxxxx
My 2007 S4RS Vin starts out ZDMM417AA7Bxxxxxx Engine number ZDM998W4Cxxxxxx

Found an exhaust ad with a pic of yr bike. https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/exhausts/exhausts-1/competition-werkes-bellissimoto-exclusive-full-exhaust-for-ducati-monster-s2r-s4r-s4rs
Hah - that's cool- definitely my bike.

The wheels are BST Carbon Fiber wheels.

VIN is ZDM1RB5T17BXXXXXX. I haven't checked the engine cases, but you're saying that is the 998 engine, right? Where is the VIN on the engine casing?

I think when people say S4RT they mean 'S4RS Tricolore', but Ducati never used that term.

I'll own a Tricolore one day, but I can ride this bike and not worry about the miles devaluing it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, Carbon Fiber Brake discs, and it has a slipper clutch that isn't currently installed. I'm wondering if I should source regular discs and save the CF Discs for...display :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think when people say S4RT they mean 'S4RS Tricolore', but Ducati never used that term.

The S range of monsters started with the S4, it was a 916 engine, dual sided swingarm, ST style handlebars (great bike!)
then it was the S4R with a 996 engine, SSS Swingarm
There was a S2R in a 1000 and an 800, both the same as the S4R in chassis spec.

Then they went to the Testastretta 998 engine and built the
S4R but there was already an S4R so the name S4RT was given to it to designate it as the Testastretta version of the S4R, not sure by whom but that's what it's for apparently
Then there's the S4RS which was only available as a 998 Testastretta model and came with Ohlins F&R and a choice of paint jobs, a limited edition one of which is the Tri-colore version

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The engine case has RB57016991.

Looking at the S4RS service manual, US models have different IDs - ZDM1RB5TX is how they start, which matches my frame (that was replaced).

The engine casing also has different identifiers, starting RB5X (with X being the model year), and the remainder being the production number.

Guess I'll find out for 100% certain when I change the timing belts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
2000 - 2003 S4 had 916 Desmoquattro engine, classic swingarm with ST4 tripple and handlebars, two side exhaust, Showa suspension and cast aluminum Marchesini five spoke wheels. It was the top Monster and there was a Foggy version with some additional CF pieces and stickers.

2003 2005 S4R had 996 Desmoquattro engine, SSS with shotgun style right side exhaust, Showa suspension and cast aluminum Marchesini five spoke wheels.

2006 - 2008 S4Rt had the 998 Testastretta engine and the same Showa suspension, shotgun exhaust and cast aluminum Marchesini wheels like the S4R from prior years. New addition was the radial Brembo calipers.

2006 - 2008 S4RS had the 998 Testastretta, Ohlins suspension and forged aluminum light weight Marchesini wheels. Everything else was like the S4Rt. There was a Tricolore model available in 2008. This is the most seeked and the best model of Monster.

In 2009 Ducati went to the new frame Monster.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts