Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a new to me 2000 750 monster that has been in storage for at least 5 years. I believe the bike is totally stock. It's in excellent shape with 13000 miles on it. I changed the oil/filter/spark plugs/fuel filter and cracked fuel lines, put in a battery borrowed from a dirtbike, added gas with a couple ounces of sea foam in it, and she fired up. I'm very fortunate that the prior owner (a co worker) drained the fuel from the tank and apparently the carbs before storing the bike.

After warming up the bike and riding slow speeds for awhile, I took her out on the road. After some coughing and sputtering, she ran well, but had that hollow sound- you know, when you open the throttle and hear the air going in, but the bike doesn't rev faster? After a few seconds, she'd "catch" and run really strong. What I noticed was that when the bike was making the hollow sound and not running strong, the tach was at zero. When she would catch and run strong, the tach would read correctly. If I came to a stop, or let off the gas for deceleration, sometimes the tach would go to zero and the bike wouldn't run well.

Any ideas? There must be some sort of correlation between the the tach and whatever is causing the bike to lose power.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
if it is an original tacho then it gets it's signal from one of the ignition control units - there's a 3 pin connector on the rh side of the airbox where the power and ground is supplied to the igniition units and the tacho signal comes back. maybe check all connectors in that area, pick up resistance, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Belter! I'l check that 3 pin connector, and all the other connectors I can get my hands on, first thing tomorrow, then take it for another test ride.

·
Excel Addict
5,078 Posts
Thanks Belter! I'l check that 3 pin connector, and all the other connectors I can get my hands on, first thing tomorrow, then take it for another test ride.
If it is a 2000 model, then isn't controlled by the 15M (A0 variant) ECU so the tach signal comes from the ECU based upon the crank position sensor input?

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
Probably corroded electrical connections. Clean and push back together from each side, start with the main fuse. I personally would disconnect, clean and reconnect every connector on the bike, all of the fuses and wires going into the fuse box, clean to bare metal all you ground wires, there is more than one. Clean your kill switch and wiring, spray some electrical lube into your key switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts