Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just made a deal on a 1000ss. I think it is a 2006. I know it is yellow.
Has been sitting for a couple of seasons, and not used much before that.
I know it will need the basics at least:
-Tires (thinking Power RS)
-Fluids
-Belts (OEM)
-Battery
ect.

Is there anything specific to these bikes that I should look at while I am in the process of waking it back up?
Currently my daily is a Monster S4, but I am thinking that the full fairing will be nice.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
If it's been sitting for a few years --Does it start right up and run well right now? if not -if it has been sitting with fuel in the tank & that fuel has ethanol you may need a fuel pump, if that is the case replace the pump, filter & internal tank fuel lines--ethanol is nasty shit

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
I’d set the valves, especially if you don’t know when they were last done.
I’d change plugs.
I’d put some Techron or SeaFoam in the fuel every tank.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's been sitting for a few years --Does it start right up and run well right now? if not -if it has been sitting with fuel in the tank & that fuel has ethanol you may need a fuel pump, if that is the case replace the pump, filter & internal tank fuel lines--ethanol is nasty shit
Unsure when the last time the bike was run. Probably at least a year.
Replace the fuel pump?
Is that not something that can be cleaned or serviced?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
doubtful I deal with electric fuel pumps every day on motorcycles and when they stop -they stop not even remotely worth trying to fix one -If the bike starts right up no worries but if not and you dont hear the pump running replace it--or you can try to clean it and it may work for a very short period and when your out on that nice ride about 150 miles from home and your bike stops running because the pump had a cardiac arrest --Remember what I said lol

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Start by smelling whats in the tank. The fuel iin the lines may be good even if the fuel in the tank is bad. If you turn on the key and try to start it you just pumped the good fuel into the tank and the bad fuel into your pump and lines. Always start with your nose in the tank, trust me you will know if it is bad.

Check the air filter for mice also before trying to start it as I had a customer bend valves by starting his ST4 with a family of mice in the airbox which was sucked into his motor on startup.

How many miles?
What condition?
There are plenty of good bikes that will need no more than what you have listed, there may be MORE bikes that have been neglected,abused, hacked by would be mechanics. You need to first judge the condition before doing anything to serious as you dont want to spend a lot of time and money only to find out you have a bad motor,frame or death trap.

Have fun it is a good model , suspension is crude in the back but no different than many new models.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bike is now in the garage.
Condition is beautiful. Not a scratch that I can find.
Has about $6k miles

From what I can tell so far the bike has:
-Slip ons. Not carbon cans though.
-"race" ecu in a box.
-After market rear sets
-Aftermarket clutch slave
-Original tires.
-Bar end mirrors
-Silly handle bar risers that are HUGE
-Ducati performance air filter with a cut lid
-Sargent seat

I ordered some Michelin Power RS tires. Have them on my Monster S4 and Bimota. Love them.
Ordered a battery.
Also ordered some OEM service parts to get me started:
-Fuel Filter
-Oil Filter
-Belts
-Plugs

Plan to put the OEM bars back on.
Bike did not come with the OEM mirrors, so will have to hunt for a clean set of them.
I HATE bar ends.

The brackets for the exhaust eliminated the passenger pegs. I have the brackets, but not the pegs.
Would like to figure something out as it is nice to have the option to take the wife out on the bike.

Fuel smells "meh", but no where near the worst I have smelled. I will drain it either way for sure.
Bike has a 2016 inspection sticker, so maybe it was not sitting as long as I thought.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
with a 2016 inspection your looking at sitting for 3 & 1/2 or 4 years--If the fuel pump is still working I will be shocked

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hooked a spare battery up to it quick and it is spinning away.
Turned the key on to check the mileage.
No signs of a failure. Will report back once I run it for the first time.
Don't want to run it until the belts are changed.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Did you hear the fuel pump turning?? sorry I just saw in your post and it is spinning away--I guess your talking about the fuel pump lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you hear the fuel pump turning?? sorry I just saw in your post and it is spinning away--I guess your talking about the fuel pump lol
Yup the fuel pump is active when I turn the key.
If it ends up being bad it looks like Bosh unit is WAY cheaper then the OEM even though OEM seems to be bosh anyway.

Either way, if that is the worst hiccup I am okay with it.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
when I got my 91 900ss last year the pump was dead , I got one on ebay for under $30.00--When it arrived I was sure it would say Made in China lol---But no--It was made in Der Fatherland and it has worked perfectly

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Motoscience have good looking mirror options for the SSie range

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Motoscience have good looking mirror options for the SSie range
Honestly I will just try and find some clean OEM take offs on ebay or something.

Anyone have some pictures of how the OEM clip ons mount?
I have a feeling that the forks were pushed up in the triple to lower the front end when installing the bar risers.
Will be swapping back to the OEM clip ons, just want to make sure they are oriented correctly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also...Suggest new chain and sprockets 14 front and 40 rear. Great performance and doesn't make the front wheel too flighty on takeoff. Pull and check oil strainer. Can be very hard to remove, use breaker bar. Add new fuel and K&N filter. Check all brake callipers push evenly on pads. And your yes tyre choice is spot on. But most importantly enjoy your 1000ss as much we all do. Away you go....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also...Suggest new chain and sprockets 14 front and 40 rear. Great performance and doesn't make the front wheel too flighty on takeoff. Pull and check oil strainer. Can be very hard to remove, use breaker bar. Add new fuel and K&N filter. Check all brake callipers push evenly on pads. And your yes tyre choice is spot on. But most importantly enjoy your 1000ss as much we all do. Away you go....
Yes to pulling the oil strainer. Probably will do the oil change tonight after work.
Will look into the sprocket change. A new set/chain was installed before I got the bike, unsure on sizes.

Took the front calipers off the other day. Everything is working perfectly.
Detailed everything while it was apart. Super happy.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
On the fuely bikes there often were spacers under the clip ons and then the clip on was flush (just below cap) .
Clip on height is 28mm thick and spacer is about 10mm (iirc) hopefully someone can measure theirs as I have the spacers in storage.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
How has this thread about an addition to the stable made it to 20 posts with out any pictures?!? :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts