Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2003 base model 999 with a Termi half system, stock ECU, and it seems to be having some stalling issues. It isn't happening on take off, rather when I'm coming to a stop usually, it just peters out on me. The check engine light has came on 3 times in a week, I usually notice it when I come to a stop light. When I give it some throttle and take off it goes away. It only has 9800kms on it........wondering what I should do.

Also, it seems to shift very hard, when I down shift it sounds like it slaps into gear, I had an 04 999 a few years ago but don't remember the bike acting like this..........

any help is appreciated.....

-Brandon

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I just picked up a 2003 base model 999 with a Termi half system, stock ECU, and it seems to be having some stalling issues. It isn't happening on take off, rather when I'm coming to a stop usually, it just peters out on me. The check engine light has came on 3 times in a week, I usually notice it when I come to a stop light. When I give it some throttle and take off it goes away. It only has 9800kms on it........wondering what I should do.

Also, it seems to shift very hard, when I down shift it sounds like it slaps into gear, I had an 04 999 a few years ago but don't remember the bike acting like this..........

any help is appreciated.....

-Brandon
Regarding the shifting, make sure that your chain is properly tensioned, make sure that the rear sprocket nuts are tight and the rubber cush drive blocks are in good shape. Make sure that your shift linkage is tight, I had my adjustable shift rod come loose to the point it slightly moved back and forth when I shifted. It won't come apart because the rod is locked together w/ that screw, but that screw loosens and could cause a bit of back and forth play resulting in stiff shifting.
You can try replacing the plugs. The OEM Champions are just OK, but I like the NGK and Nippon Denso Iridiums...I would have to give the edge to the NGKs. Also make sure your air filter is clean. Since your 999 has a Termignoni exhaust kit I'm sure that it has the "race" filters. These tend to get very grimey quickly because of their light cotton gauze filter. They are not cleanable although some blow them clean w/ compressed air.
If the above fails it's time to have it properly tuned.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Regarding the shifting, make sure that your chain is properly tensioned, make sure that the rear sprocket nuts are tight and the rubber cush drive blocks are in good shape. Make sure that your shift linkage is tight, I had my adjustable shift rod come loose to the point it slightly moved back and forth when I shifted. It won't come apart because the rod is locked together w/ that screw, but that screw loosens and could cause stiff shifting.
You can try replacing the plugs. The OEM Champions are just OK, but I like the NGK and Nippon Denso Iridiums...I would have to give the edge to the NGKs. Also make sure your air filter is clean. Since your 999 has a Termignoni exhaust kit I'm sure that it has the "race" filters. These tend to get very grimey quickly because of their light cotton gauze filter. They are not cleanable although some blow them clean w/ compressed air.
If the above fails it's time to have it properly tuned.
If the engine error code appears, turn off ignition and press the left toggle button on the dash. You'll see a EFI Error code appear...it might say for example 34.0 or 12.1...then you can match the code number to it's corresponding problem.
Haha I went with the first post of yours and thought the following before reading the second......................
I just bought a 999s and the race filters were so clogged I couldnt believe the crap in there. Plugs were absolutely black.no service for the last 22000 kms apart from oil and filter changes. It ran so well I bought it:think:

Go figure, absolutely fully serviced now and its only marginaly better. Anyhow back to the second part of your post and the OP's question.

Yep Brandon get those codes like ZDM said and go from there.

Oh yeah the shifting on mine is like butter smooth. With such low mileage I would think that cush drive is good. Could be your clutch needs bleeding? If it has an aftermarket slave and quiet clutch mod that would be a normal sympton. My ST4s is the same. you have to blip that throttle at the right time to have smooth downshifts. My moneys on your clutch system. Bleed it first then see how your transmission reacts.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Haha I went with the first post of yours and thought the following before reading the second......................
I just bought a 999s and the race filters were so clogged I couldnt believe the crap in there. Plugs were absolutely black.no service for the last 22000 kms apart from oil and filter changes. It ran so well I bought it:think:

Go figure, absolutely fully serviced now and its only marginaly better. Anyhow back to the second part of your post and the OP's question.

Yep Brandon get those codes like ZDM said and go from there.

Oh yeah the shifting on mine is like butter smooth. With such low mileage I would think that cush drive is good. Could be your clutch needs bleeding? If it has an aftermarket slave and quiet clutch mod that would be a normal sympton. My ST4s is the same. you have to blip that throttle at the right time to have smooth downshifts. My moneys on your clutch system. Bleed it first then see how your transmission reacts.
:D

When he retrieves the error codes from the dash he'll have a better idea what to fuss with.... plugs and air filter are so easy to replace is doesn't hurt to start there.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Fwiw you can clean the stock and Ducati perf air filters with soapy water ,dry them then oil them.basically treat them the same as k&n filters

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Sorry to thread jack, anyone find a local version for an oil filter yet? None of my local stores ever carry the K&N I need for the 999...

Don't get me started on that stupid plug socket tool either..
The K&N is available from Amazon.

Motion Pro has just brought out a 14 mm plug socket in 3/8" drive.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Do a search on 999 stalling and you will get plenty of info. Root cause on stalling can be quite a few things, but checking TPS is on the top of the list. The clutch system is right up. Any air at all in the system will cause the clutch not to fully disengage. That was 100% of the issue on my 999s. 11,000+ miles since mostly fixing the clutch and it has never stalled. When I say mostly fixing, the clutch master still needs a burp every week or so to keep things 100 air free. At some point i'll replace the slave as that is only thing left to do...every other clutch component internal & external is new. BTW, if your clutch is not 100% air free you will get some rather hard gear change engagement noise. Burp the system, I also use mobil 1 full syn oil which makes a noticeable difference in making the gear system smooth vs other oil brands.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The early 999's had a recall on the clutch master cylender. Might see if it was done, that will cause some of the stalling, I had that on mine for a while.

PLUGS and FILTERS. even if it doesnt get totally rid of the issue, it will help. I have the NGK's, they rock. intermitent codes are not fun to track down. Esp given these italians are not wired very well, could be as simple as a bad/broken wire somewhere. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts