Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just picked up a 996 and have been going through servicing it. All fluids have been done and it still has the original rubber on it so I ordered the Dunlop Sportmax Q3 Plus to put on. My question is.... anything else I should be looking at. I found some service history in the paperwork the owner gave me and the last belt change was 2004. He threw in Ducati spark plugs and a Ducati belt but the number is 73710091A will that be correct? Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
belt # is correct. due for a change.

check all the bolts. sidestand bracket, mirror brackets and subframe esp. and both rear axle nuts. air filters are possibly perished by now, be gentle with the little cover screws. check the battery charge voltage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Part number is correct.

Sidestand is a good tip. I had one that stripped out the engine case because it was loose. Had to repair it with a time sert.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well got the belts swapped out. The belt that was in there was a different part number. Everything went pretty easy. I did the 45 degree belt turn method as well as the piano tuning app. Should the belts be check after a few hundred miles or once they’re set they’re good? Would there be any clues that the belts are too slack or too tight or they just fail? Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on the 996! I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago too. I'm planning to do the belt change as well. Any other parts besides the belts that you replaced while getting at the belts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a similar situation last year with belts last replaced in '04.

I would also recommend you look at:

-Metal disconnects for the exterior tank fuel lines (the oem plastic ones don't last forever)

-New fuel filter and fuel lines for inside the tank.

-New fork oil.

-Check the reg/rec wiring and connector for corrosion.

As for the belt tension, the Gates Carbon Drive app makes life very easy. 110hz for new belts, 85ish for adjustments of existing belts. Put new tensioning locknuts on while you're at it (ca cycleworks carry them).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts