Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Recently fulfilled a dream from as long back as I can remember and picked up a 2000 996 w/15k miles. As you have all probably heard a million times, I got a "good deal" on it, but that came with some issues (and a lack of maintenance history). I have already made use of this marvelous forum to assist me in replacing the regulator/rectifier, the main charging fuse, and the coolant reservoir. I still have on my radar to replace the fuel filter(s) and oil pressure sensor (has a noticeable leak and the occasional flash of the light at idle).

I also know at 12k the belts and valves should have been done, but I've got no evidence it was done. I did have a look under the belt cover, and the belt looks fantastic (as near to new as any belt I’ve ever seen). Are they obviously worn after 2 years/12k miles? Would it be retarded to chance it? I believe I can do the belt change, so it’s just the belt cost and some time.

What should I expect a valve check/adjust to run from a dealer nowadays? Are loose/tight valves detectable on these engines? I’m very familiar with the sound on single-cylinder ATVs and cars/trucks, and this thing seems to run fantastic, other than one very minor thing: it seems boggy right off idle giving it just a little bit of throttle. I’ve read a bit about there being “flat” spots, so I wonder if this is one, or there isn’t another issue I should be looking for.

This is my 2nd first bike. What I mean by that is it’s technically my 2nd motorcycle, but I haven’t ridden since 2006 or so. From 2003-2006 I had a Kawasaki EX500, so I’m taking it easy getting used to something with this much power. So far I’ve found it to be as tame as my right hand will allow – hopefully that’s not a bad thing.

Jon

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey all!

Recently fulfilled a dream from as long back as I can remember and picked up a 2000 996 w/15k miles. As you have all probably heard a million times, I got a "good deal" on it, but that came with some issues (and a lack of maintenance history). I have already made use of this marvelous forum to assist me in replacing the regulator/rectifier, the main charging fuse, and the coolant reservoir. I still have on my radar to replace the fuel filter(s) and oil pressure sensor (has a noticeable leak and the occasional flash of the light at idle).

I also know at 12k the belts and valves should have been done, but I've got no evidence it was done. I did have a look under the belt cover, and the belt looks fantastic (as near to new as any belt I’ve ever seen). Are they obviously worn after 2 years/12k miles? Would it be retarded to chance it? I believe I can do the belt change, so it’s just the belt cost and some time.

What should I expect a valve check/adjust to run from a dealer nowadays? Are loose/tight valves detectable on these engines? I’m very familiar with the sound on single-cylinder ATVs and cars/trucks, and this thing seems to run fantastic, other than one very minor thing: it seems boggy right off idle giving it just a little bit of throttle. I’ve read a bit about there being “flat” spots, so I wonder if this is one, or there isn’t another issue I should be looking for.

This is my 2nd first bike. What I mean by that is it’s technically my 2nd motorcycle, but I haven’t ridden since 2006 or so. From 2003-2006 I had a Kawasaki EX500, so I’m taking it easy getting used to something with this much power. So far I’ve found it to be as tame as my right hand will allow – hopefully that’s not a bad thing.

Jon
Hi Jon, earlier today I replied you via PM with some documentation suggestions as I'm pretty much in the same situation you are..
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your beauty (post pictures!)

PM

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Apparently the sewing machine like valve train in the Ducati is much pickier about its belts than the average 4 cylinder automotive 4 sprung valve headed engines running on one belt for 75-100K miles between changes. :)

As far as the off the line issue, step 1, make sure the throttle bodies start to open at the same time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nice! I was looking at getting a 996 or 998 but neither of the sellers on Cycle Trader responded to my e-mails...so I ended up with an 1198SP instead :) I really do love the look of the 996 though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently the sewing machine like valve train in the Ducati is much pickier about its belts than the average 4 cylinder automotive 4 sprung valve headed engines running on one belt for 75-100K miles between changes. :)

As far as the off the line issue, step 1, make sure the throttle bodies start to open at the same time.
IKR?? Even the “terribly designed” Chevrolet Aveo timing was 45k miles between changes….

I’d like to know more about the circumstances under which people have actually had belt failures… but I haven’t heard/read any from people who have had it happen, just the generic fear because we know it HAS happened. Well, lots of cars have jumped time too, wonder if the fear is based in reality or not. Naturally, I’ll join the lot and be safer…

Interestingly, on the off the line issue, yesterday was the first time I gave it actual full throttle (2nd gear from 30mph to near redline). Wonder if previous owner putt-putting and my slow driving had gummed up the works, as the throttle is much more responsive off-idle now. We’ll see how long that lasts….

Nice! I was looking at getting a 996 or 998 but neither of the sellers on Cycle Trader responded to my e-mails...so I ended up with an 1198SP instead :) I really do love the look of the 996 though.
1198 is a beautiful bike as well. I was eyeballing a 1098s that was local, in the white… There’s something about the “fold over” fairing that I really love. Plus, I was jittery enough as it was going to a nearly 1000cc bike as an effective first bike. My fears seemed to have been poorly placed there, but I’m still taking it easy.

Something I haven't looked up, wondering if someone who views this might be an expert, is restoring the carbon fiber bits finish. Most of it has no shine whatsoever, just a dull gray finish to it. I have several polishing compounds from auto paint, and some clear coat if need be...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts