Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum but long time Ducati fan / owner (996, 999, Monster Evo 1100). Have admired the Super Sport since the early 90's but never owned one- until now! Picked her up about two months ago. Advertised on CL as an original owner, 96 in “excellent” condition. Turned out to be a rough but complete 95 w/ 3400 miles, frozen brakes, no battery, gummed-up carbs, dry rotted tires, rusted chain and gas tank, etc… But somehow it ended up on my trailer and so began a new project. Since then I’ve stripped her down, cleaned, inspected the frame and swingarm for cracks, cleaned all electrical connections, changed fork and engine oil, all filters, and plugs. Replaced tires, timing belts, battery, chain, brake lines, pads, rebuilt calipers, cleaned and tuned carbs, wet sanded, spot painted and re-cleared the gas tank and fairings (thanks to Sean @ CCR)… and added brand new FBF high mount carbon cans (thanks to a forum tip). It’s been a true labor of love…. A true classic. Just need to replace the fuel pump and she’ll be done. Any leads on a good after-market unit? I've attached pics showing the day I picked her up, work in progress, and a pic from yesterday- nearly done.
Thank you, Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
a friend of mine who sells used Ducati parts here in Florida told me when I needed a new pump to get one from Ebay, it was around $25.00 made by Osasis or something close to that--It came in the box that said made in Germany--I expected it from China but was shocked when it was not. He told me he has been using them for years and never had one fail--So thats what I got and so far it has worked perfectly

·
Registered
788 Posts
Look in the alternate parts thread at the top of this forum. There are a number of replacements available that are pretty much exact fit. I used an Airtex 2035, but that part has probably been superseded by something else by now. Make sure you use a low pressure pump. Those made for fuel injection systems will not work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback. I purchased a new OSIAS pump on eBay for $20.00 delivered. The pump is slightly longer than the OEM unit but fits fine and seems to work well.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
The one I bought works great, I am sure your will too---the good thing is it's easy to change out and at the price If I have to purchase a new one every few years I am still ahead lol

·
Registered
672 Posts
The plastic fuel filter may not live long when submerged inside the tank. Make sure the fuel lines inside the tank are rated for being submerged. Not all fuel line is so rated. You will have trouble if you ignore this suggestion. SAE30R10 is what you want to put inside the tank.

Fred

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
The “ stock” fuel filter I pulled from my tank was plastic, so was the ”stock “ replacement. If a filter is made of plastic and has gasoline on the inside, how would having gasoline on the outside affect it any differently ?

·
Registered
672 Posts
In my part of the country, the midwest, most if not all, gasoline has ethanol in it. I had a plastic fuel filter "melt" after a short period of time. Since then I have used metal fuel filters.

Fred

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the comments. I'll keep an eye on them. The fuel lines came with the pump so I'm hoping they are properly rated, and the filter is OEM Ducati.

·
Registered
480 Posts
When I replaced the fuel filter in my 91 900SS I used a BMW fuel filter for K models & oilheads, along with the BMW fuel line for inside tank use, Why did I use these--Because I have 10 of them sitting on the shelf lol--and by using BMW parts it should make the Ducati run better

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I will never put a filter inside the tank again, a real pain to check. New intake sock on the pump is good enough, and an external inline filter I can see when it needs changed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Question for you procad00, how did you mount the FBF exhaust cans on to the brackets that screw into the passenger peg spots? I ended up using a couple of rubber hoses which compressed and created a good shock mount when tightened down, but I was wondering if I was missing some hardware or if you're supposed to re-use parts from the single seaters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ raven_tkr; I reused the stock grommets and hardware to mount the included hangers as shown in the below image. I tried several different configurations and found this to be the most secure, cleanest looking option. Mike
ss exhaust bracket.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Huh, I couldn't get the metal mushroom shaped washer bushing thing into that bracket without having to either remove it or having it severely rub up against the carbon. Oh well! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right.... I had the same problem. Couldn't get it in no matter what I tried. So I cut one of the grommet flanges completely off (you can see the remaining flange in the picture). The grommet is immobilized between the hanger brackets and should still provide adequate vibration damping. IMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After rereading your post I now understand you are referring to the metal bushing not the rubber bushing. I also had this problem so I loosened the bolts that secure the bracket on the cans (see below image). Assembled everything loosely, then tightened these bolts last. Worked great. Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two days of rain finally cleared the snow and sand from the roads and I was able to take the Duc for a first ride. First impression- motor pulls hard, vibrates less than expected, and carburetion is smooth and crisp. Steering feels light and direct. Bike is planted on smooth pavement but the front-end feels a bit loose (moves around) on even small bumps which are plenty in this area of the country. Any recommendations on set-up or internal fork upgrades appreciated. Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Call Race Tech, they will set the forks up for you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts