Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this bike for sale the other day. It was cheap and looked like it had some nice parts on it, so I went ahead and picked it up. I don't have any immediate plans for it. I first need to figure out what exactly has been done to it and what parts are here. Then i will most likely be robbing some parts for my 97 and parting out the rest. The other option would be to get a tank for it and get it running again.

Here are some pictures...

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
5,245 Posts
That looks too nice to part out.
IMO better to get a bike back on the road rather than take it off forever.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks too nice to part out.
IMO better to get a bike back on the road rather than take it off forever.
To me, when it takes more money than the value of the bike to fix up, then its not worth fixing up. This one, more than likely, fits that bill.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Inspect the wheels carefully, they are superlight oem wheels by the look and the centers are magnesium. Someone has painted/powder coated them so we know they have been apart for some reason. If done well then no worries but if done poorly they could be hiding damage. It was common for the bolts to egg out and need replacing so look closely at the bolts and fit to the rims.

someone had a pretty cool bike but then it has been parked in a snow bank since then so only you can judge what it will be worth to fix or part out. Inspect the frame for cracks at the steering head as someone may have chromed a crack prone frame or chromed a good later/replacement frame. Probably not as easy to repair a chromed frame. From the Sholins to the superlight wheels and the delortos someone was spending time in money on it I wonder whats inside the motor?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Interesting find,
The Superlight wheels are worth some money, providing (as Ducvet says) they're not stuffed. Visually inspect them for little worm lines under the paint, that's a sure sign the magnesium is corroding and when they do that they get brittle and can fail, the bolt holes can get elongated, typically the nut/bolt assembly comes loose and the soft mag is what wears, i would CAREFULLY check their tension, if they're all roughly the same i'd say you're good to go. The wheels are rare, the nuts and bolts are even more scarce, they have a large bore and then a small thread and they do break easily so i wouldn't go heaving on them with a ring spanner.

The fork caps look std so i'm guessing they're adjustable Showas with Ohlins stickers...
The 944 decals might be something, Dellortos are a strange choice, never seen them on a belt SS before, always Keihin FCR's but hey, nice carbs!

Chrome frame, Yikes! that alone would be enough for me to part it out, the mufflers aren't termignoni's, they look like Omrae, or maybe Silmotor?

There's some value in it, Alloy swingarm, Marvics, Adjustable forks, 944 motor (maybe) Dellortos, dyna coils? the upswept pipes will clean up ok too, that 916 seat unit is hideous but if it's carbon fibre someone will want it.... Monster chin spoiler too...

good luck with it, maybe you could buddy up to a dealership and try and get a warranty frame that you could repair and touch up, a tank and a proper seat unit, quick paint job and it could be a good runner with a little effort...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering about those forks. Ive searching all over internet for ohlins forks that look like showas. I guess an ohlins sticker in showa forks makes sense. I wonder if its the same with the rear shock.

Should I remove all of the wheel bolts to inspect the holes or are they hard to put back together? Maybe remove 1 at a time?

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Lots of money in that bike. I’d bet the motor isn’t stock. I’d fix it up.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I was wondering about those forks. Ive searching all over internet for ohlins forks that look like showas. I guess an ohlins sticker in showa forks makes sense. I wonder if its the same with the rear shock.

Should I remove all of the wheel bolts to inspect the holes or are they hard to put back together? Maybe remove 1 at a time?

Thanks for the replies
Not sure i'd suggest pulling the bolts, you may end up having to to be certain they're ok but before you get to that i would give them a really good clean, spray the bolts with CRC and let them sit.
Once you have done a good visual inspection of your impressively clean wheels check the torque of the nuts with a torque wrench, if they're all relatively even then leave them, if they're all over the place you may have to disassemble them to make sure they're safe.

The biggest issue for me is that they have been painted, that means they have been disassembled and because the centres are magnesium, painters like to wet rub the surface so their paint job looks good, doing that can rub through the zinc di-chromate coating and allow the mag to corrode, usually displayed with worm lines under the paintwork. If yours don't have them then it would seem the painter w=knew what he was doing and just gave them a dry scuff, lets hope so. They're sexy wheels and are reliable if looked after properly but because of their design and age you do need to give them extra attention.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure i'd suggest pulling the bolts, you may end up having to to be certain they're ok but before you get to that i would give them a really good clean, spray the bolts with CRC and let them sit.
Once you have done a good visual inspection of your impressively clean wheels check the torque of the nuts with a torque wrench, if they're all relatively even then leave them, if they're all over the place you may have to disassemble them to make sure they're safe.

The biggest issue for me is that they have been painted, that means they have been disassembled and because the centres are magnesium, painters like to wet rub the surface so their paint job looks good, doing that can rub through the zinc di-chromate coating and allow the mag to corrode, usually displayed with worm lines under the paintwork. If yours don't have them then it would seem the painter w=knew what he was doing and just gave them a dry scuff, lets hope so. They're sexy wheels and are reliable if looked after properly but because of their design and age you do need to give them extra attention.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've got some fun ahead of me, for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
(y) for an interesting project. That was definitely someone's pride and joy at some point. Put it back on the road and make it yours!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im finally starting to get into this bike. Im trying to determine for certain what exhaust it has and whether or not i want to put it on my bike. Mine has the standard headers with fbf high mount silencers. This bike has a complete system with 45mm headers and these high mount silencers. The only marking i can find is a stamp on a couple pipes that reads 900 SS 2x2 '97 DX A. The silencers have termi stickers but i cant find any termi systems that look like this.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
I looks more like A Ducati performance/giacamoto than a termi. Giacamoto used the separate can to inlet pipe more than anyone and I do not remember termi doing that. It is always possible . I do have a Giacamoto catalog I will look for to see if any match up. If possible post pictures of the collector area under the rear of the motor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looks more like A Ducati performance/giacamoto than a termi. Giacamoto used the separate can to inlet pipe more than anyone and I do not remember termi doing that. It is always possible . I do have a Giacamoto catalog I will look for to see if any match up. If possible post pictures of the collector area under the rear of the motor.
Here are some pictures of the pipes. I appreciate your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive got the rear wheel removed and i did a quick wipe down to look it over. I haven't checked the torque on the bolts yet. I think it looks ok, but i don't know. These wheels are well beyond my expertise. I'm thinking about finding a shop that specializes in magnesium wheel restoration and sending them off to be redone. That is, if it isn't more than 400-500 per wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
The two piece wheels have big value, the European collectors are paying as much for the wheels alone, as the entire bike without them.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Pretty sure you could send them to Marvic as they offer a wheel renewal service. But it would probably cost you $500 a wheel:
Translated to English....it doesn't make a great deal of sense...wish I could read Italian, then maybe I could translate to where it did....sean

·
Registered
642 Posts
Those wheels look fine. The corrosion of the mag displays as little worm lines under the paint, and it really shows on the smooth machined parts, yours, from the parts i see in the pics look good.
I've had these wheels on a couple of bikes, i've made the odd wrong decision along the way but overall i love them, they're such a unique wheel, especially in 17", the first 851 strada had 16" versions and so did the 750F1 Montjuich, they're all getting so rare these days.

If you decide to strip them and paint them spray the nuts heavily with CRC so you don't break the bolt threads off, the centre rotates 120 degrees and they lift out the machined part of the rim. The zinc Di-chromate coating on the magnesium is intact, and it's next to impossible to find anyone that can electroplate that back on, aircraft restorers do it but they can be difficult to deal with, they're paranoid about contaminating their baths with unknown peoples gear.

getting the gold paint off without rubbing through that coating will be the hardest part, Strip the bearings and find a good soda blaster, i've seen one take the colour off a soda can so a good one should be able to do it and leave the coating.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts