Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Thanks for "un-deading" this thread. I took a look last year after I got my 1993 and saw the last post was several years old....and decided I wasn't going to be the one doing the un-deading. :grin2:
Heheh .... everybody is good at something, I suppose.

Me? ... I've been endowed with the powers of ZOHMBEH THREAD RESURRECTION!

... oh brother ...

:laugh:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why... oh why... did I buy another Supersport?

I don't compare the SS to something like my wife's Ninja. That Kawasaki is practical transportation. She doesn't want to do anything but add gas and oil (or, to be more precise, have me add oil). The SS is more of a cafe racer mentality. Something that's wild and temperamental. There's gotta be a tradeoff somewhere, and if the bike was a dog there would be no reason to mess with it. But there's something special about the SS. Kinda the looks, kinda the sound. Kinda the feel. It's like having a petite, adorable, oversexed Italian girlfriend from Bologna who is, to be sure, kind of a nut; but in a generally entertaining way. Sometimes she goes bonkers on you, but she's redirectable, and in the end the sex is good, and she doesn't expect you to spend a lot of money on her. Sure, she might crack up completely someday. But probably not today.
This is EXACTLY why I bought another 900 SS... this time FE (#126).

·
Registered
72 Posts
So that's my addition to this thread. Pics below, all shot by the fella I bought it from before I bought it. I'll be posting my own pics in the project thread I've already started on this mind and soul machine. I am a military and LEO vet with severe combat related PTSD .... it's been roughly 25 years since I've owned a running street bike (there have been a few project bikes along the way, but they didn't get completed). I can feel it in my gut that this bike will serve to heal my mind, body, and soul.

Soul Healer, this bike is. 0:)

"You dont stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding."

:smile2:
Rex Coil.... I'm in the closing moments of my military career.... Medevac Pilot with the California Army National Guard. Every one of my missions was someone else's worse day ever (couple of LONG trips to Afghanistan flying med missions exclusively). I'm also a stone's throw from the end of my full time LE career. The cost of those two careers has been high. I got my 900 SS/FE for much the same reason. Zen. I had a 95' years ago, and have regretted selling it ever since. This will be a labor of love. Pic below. From one dual vet to another, thanks for your service. Cheers. Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Since the last entry in this thread was nearly FOUR YEARS AGO (Aug 2015) ... I'll see if I can pick it back up again with my own recent introduction into the Ducati universe. Hopefully others will continue to post their newly acquired Supersports here again.

1996 900 SS/CR .... 17k miles on it, rather new Pirelli Angel GT tires, new chain, new batt, new f/r brake pads, freshly serviced by a Ducati tech at a Ducati shop in the Phoenix Arizona region.

The bike sat unridden for last 8 months in a garage, covered with a tarp and on a battery tender. The heat in this region can lacquer fuel in carbs in a danged hurry. That said, the carbs are gooped and need to be serviced/rebuilt. Absolutely zero rust/no rust in the tank, this bike spent it's entire life in Arizona so that would account for the lack of any significant rust issues. EDIT: The exhaust pipes have a wee bit of surface rust, nothing a little steel wool and/or 3M "green" scouring pads can't fix.

Previous owner insisted that I replace the belts ASAP. As I go through the profuse documentation that came with the bike I see that new belts were installed on June 16th, 2012 at 12,120 miles (it currently has 17,149 miles on it).

*** Dealer in Wisconsin (Barr Kawasaki Cycle Center) bought it from Ducati on Dec 29, 1995.
*** 1st owner (lived in Peoria Az) purchased it new from the dealer on May 31, 1997.
*** 2nd owner (lived in Phx area) bought it from original owner on an unknown date.
*** 3rd owner (the person I bought it from who lives in the Chandler Az area) bought it from Owner 2 on Jan 13, 2017.
*** 4th owner (myself) purchased it on Jun 19, 2019.

There's a goodly pile of service documentation that came with it. The motorcycle is in what I consider to be "B+" overall condition. 17,149 miles on the OD, paint and finish is in "A" condition. The seller paid for notary public services to notarize the sale, he also took me to the shop he had it worked on to obtain one of those tie-down handlebar "sock" things, which he also graciously paid for. It came with a brand new battery tender (with wiring installed), and the stock mufflers. This is my 17th motorcycle, and the transaction was easily the most trustworthy and confident feeling interaction I've ever experienced (which includes transactions at dealers for new bikes). We had to drive roughly 400 miles round trip to make the purchase, nearly a twelve hour day ... and worth every minute, every mile, and every penny paid.

I paid $4k cash for it. Some may say I paid too much for it. What's done is done.

So that's my addition to this thread. Pics below, all shot by the fella I bought it from before I bought it. I'll be posting my own pics in the project thread I've already started on this mind and soul machine. I am a military and LEO vet with severe combat related PTSD .... it's been roughly 25 years since I've owned a running street bike (there have been a few project bikes along the way, but they didn't get completed). I can feel it in my gut that this bike will serve to heal my mind, body, and soul.

Soul Healer, this bike is. 0:)

"You dont stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding."

My wife deserves all the credit for encouraging me to "get back on the bike ... you need this". We've been married for nearly forty years ... that girl deserves a friggin medal. She's the love of my life, and we're still "in love" with one another. Lucky fella, I.

Shutting up in 3 ... 2 .. 1.

:smile2:
That's chuffing nice! Congrats. If it makes you feel better, I paid bit more for my 96 SS SP than you did, and mine is ratty as hell. My you have a long and enjoyable ride!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts