Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2012 Streetfighter today...and now its time for me to modify...The tires look pretty good but the turn is at best strange.
By this I mean as I make the turn the bike seems to hesitate then fall...thats the beat way I can explain it..
I ordered some new Q3 front and rear....but if theres a better choice please let me know..I vcan change to order before Monday..
Id like to ask for some input on mods...this bike was purchased from a friend and he was a great caretaker of the bike...Rizoma goodies and Termi blessings were on his Ducradar
So I would like to know the mods,tools and accessories those with the 2012 1098 SF have found useful on their pride and joys.
I am coming from a 1996 900SS and my 2003 ST4S W/ABS
My god the MOTOR on the SF is sinful!!!!
No excuses...Sinful I tell you!
But I am hoping the Q3s bring out the good manners in turn in.
Rear hugger CF recomendations??
Maybe higher handlebars and a more blingy handlebar clamp.
Aftermarket Rims???
If they are over 3200.00 then Id go BST branded...red CF of course!!
Tool recomendations??
Stands for front and rear???
Thank you in advance to those that offer their insights...tomorrow I will be in Stockbridge Mi. for the all clubs day meet...come to the SW corner and look for Mike S if your close by
MS

·
Registered
643 Posts
Raise the rear height rod 1/4", raise the forks 2 lines in the triples, set your sag correctly, change springs if needed. Then fine tune the screws. You should be good to go :)

·
Bon Vivant
10,280 Posts
I've tried almost all of the hyperbikes tires including the pirellis on the SF and to me the tire that mates with the characteristics of the SF best is the original Mich pilot power 2CT ( not the PP2,3,4) it has the sharpest profile giving better response to input. I agree with your feeling about the handling of the SF, it is a little sluggish. Jacking the rear up to decrease the rake will help a little bit if you can stand the new riding position and still reach the ground but getting tires that turn quick is an easy way to help make it better. The Q3 isnt going to help you its a very round linear profile better suited to bikes with a steep rake and short wheelbase. Pilot power 2 CT is the way to go. Another thing that will help is to ditch the OE steering damper in favor of an adjustable unit like Ohlins or Bitubo. The stock damper is way too stiff.
Good luck:wink2:

Oh, and for all of your answers and answers to questions you'll ask in the future check the FAQ at the top of the SF section, there's a world of info in there!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I agree with your feeling about the handling of the SF, it is a little sluggish. Jacking the rear up to *increase the rake will help a little bit if you can stand the new riding position and still reach the ground but getting tires that turn quick is an easy way to help make it better.
Raising the rear end will *decrease the rake as well as *decrease the trail a bit. Doing either or both will make the motorcycle's handling a bit "quicker" .. as was said.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I've tried almost all of the hyperbikes tires including the perellis on the SF and to me the tire that mates with the characteristics of the SF best is the original Mich pilot power 2CT ( not the PP2,3,4) it has the sharpest profile giving better response to input. Pilot power 2 CT is the way to go.
I agree with Mike on this, 2CTs transformed the SF for me...I ran through four or so sets during 28k miles of ownership and found nothing better...

·
Bon Vivant
10,280 Posts
Raising the rear end will *decrease the rake as well as *decrease the trail a bit. Doing either or both will make the motorcycle's handling a bit "quicker" .. as was said.

yes, my mistake. 0:) But the SF is one of those bikes that is just a little too far off and the rear has to be way up in the air just to get it close to the base-line of most any of the other naked bikes. Its a tough way to get there and the bike is not comfortable IMO when you do it. But combining all of these suggestions together can make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
yes, my mistake. 0:) But the SF is one of those bikes that is just a little too far off and the rear has to be way up in the air just to get it close to the base-line of most any of the other naked bikes. Its a tough way to get there and the bike is not comfortable IMO when you do it. But combining all of these suggestions together can make a big difference.
Is there some cognitive reason that Ducati set up the StreetFighter that way? Perhaps their lawyers getting ahead of claims made by less skilled riders or something of the sort? (in other words, making the bike slow to respond/heavy handling to keep less skilled riders out of trouble?). I know that sounds odd, but lawyers and accountants are odd, and pretty much anytime they are involved in making engineering decisions the results are as odd as they are.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is there some cognitive reason that Ducati set up the StreetFighter that way? Perhaps their lawyers getting ahead of claims made by less skilled riders or something of the sort? (in other words, making the bike slow to respond/heavy handling to keep less skilled riders out of trouble?). I know that sounds odd, but lawyers and accountants are odd, and pretty much anytime they are involved in making engineering decisions the results are as odd as they are.
Guessing they figured that all naked bike riders want it to handle like a Harley so they made it a bit lazy, but all kidding aside, I am guessing they think people buy naked bikes for commuting or something less than canyon carving and don't realize most of us just want a Ducati superbike with way less plastic on it.

·
Bon Vivant
10,280 Posts
I do think liability and or just general safety had something to do with Ducati's decision to stretch the swingarm and increase the rake from the donor 1098sbk. Just complete conjecture on my part but I'd bet that the people that test these things out found the original SF set up with geometry from the SBK bike and a high handlebar was just a little too lively for the general public. The streetfighter is an absolute animal of a bike so they went for stability over nimbleness.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I do think liability and or just general safety had something to do with Ducati's decision to stretch the swingarm and increase the rake from the donor 1098sbk. Just complete conjecture on my part but I'd bet that the people that test these things out found the original SF set up with geometry from the SBK bike and a high handlebar was just a little too lively for the general public. The streetfighter is an absolute animal of a bike so they went for stability over nimbleness.
But they released both to us all, so maybe it is buyer preference.
Ducati gives you a choice. :grin2:

·
Bon Vivant
10,280 Posts
But they released both to us all, so maybe it is buyer preference.
Ducati gives you a choice. :grin2:
The SBK is quite stable with its narrow bars and forward rider weight. Once the tall bar was in place there was more leverage at the bar and the weight distribution changed. Weight distribution is the key here, sit the rider up and everything changes, I imagine it changed enough that Ducati felt the need for the increased rake and longer swingarm. No, Ducati did not release a pure naked SBK to us. I think it was a mistake and the bike would have been more widely accepted had they kept the SBK geometry, but then again, I wasn't the person testing it.

And yeah RobH, Q3's are fantastic tires, they are very stable and turn-in is linear and measured. If that's what you want then all is good. I have different bikes that have different characteristics, I try to use tires that work to the strengths of each of my bikes. If I have a bike that feels a little sluggish I like to use lively tires, on bikes that are maybe a little twitchy I'll go for a more stable tire like the Q3.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
.... And yeah RobH, Q3's are fantastic tires, they are very stable and turn-in is linear and measured. If that's what you want then all is good. I have different bikes that have different characteristics, I try to use tires that work to the strengths of each of my bikes. If I have a bike that feels a little sluggish I like to use lively tires, on bikes that are maybe a little twitchy I'll go for a more stable tire like the Q3.
So is that a matter of tire profiles? Flatter/wider vs more rounded? Seems like an obvious thing, but dumb questions often times produce the most informative answers. :crazy:

·
Bon Vivant
10,280 Posts
So is that a matter of tire profiles? Flatter/wider vs more rounded? Seems like an obvious thing, but dumb questions often times produce the most informative answers. :crazy:

It is, the Q3 has a very round profile while the 2CT is pointy, almost sharp. Tires have changed a lot since Marc Marquez changed the way racers ride, it used to be that 50 -55 degrees of lean was enough and profiles reflected that, but now MM is approaching 70 degrees of lean angle ( 67 is pretty common for him) and tires have to be designed to keep up with him. Of course it was pretty short order that the other riders were able to do the same. Those profiles are trickling down to street tires even though 99% of us could never achieve anything close. And with that profiles are changing too. The new 200 60 profiles are super tall so that turning surface is deeper down the sides.

For me tires are all about how they feel in the initial turn and stability in mid corner. (grip is never an issue) I've not had a tire that I hated but I do like different tires for different bikes.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
It is, the Q3 has a very round profile while the 2CT is pointy, almost sharp. Tires have changed a lot since Marc Marquez changed the way racers ride, it used to be that 50 -55 degrees of lean was enough and profiles reflected that, but now MM is approaching 70 degrees of lean angle ( 67 is pretty common for him) and tires have to be designed to keep up with him.
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!! I had no idea. Geebus Chrysler!!

For me tires are all about how they feel in the initial turn and stability in mid corner. (grip is never an issue) I've not had a tire that I hated but I do like different tires for different bikes.
Damn. I can't wait to get my bike on the road. I've never experienced what modern rubber offers. My Harleys all had those hard-as-cement Dunlops (they sure were fun to slide into corners with though)! My Yamaha Fazer 700 handled like a wheelbarrow full of water, and the two Honda V45 powered bikes were typical Jap shaft drives that would squat off throttle and stand up on throttle. I can't wait to get my little putt putt 900CR road worthy and get some of this ~race~ out of my system!! Although it's only shod with Pirelli Angel GTs ... probably still better than anything I've ever had.

:wink2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I picked up my 2012 Streetfighter today...and now its time for me to modify...The tires look pretty good but the turn is at best strange.
By this I mean as I make the turn the bike seems to hesitate then fall...thats the beat way I can explain it..
I ordered some new Q3 front and rear....but if theres a better choice please let me know..I vcan change to order before Monday..
Id like to ask for some input on mods...this bike was purchased from a friend and he was a great caretaker of the bike...Rizoma goodies and Termi blessings were on his Ducradar
So I would like to know the mods,tools and accessories those with the 2012 1098 SF have found useful on their pride and joys.
I am coming from a 1996 900SS and my 2003 ST4S W/ABS
My god the MOTOR on the SF is sinful!!!!
No excuses...Sinful I tell you!
But I am hoping the Q3s bring out the good manners in turn in.
Rear hugger CF recomendations??
Maybe higher handlebars and a more blingy handlebar clamp.
Aftermarket Rims???
If they are over 3200.00 then Id go BST branded...red CF of course!!
Tool recomendations??
Stands for front and rear???
Thank you in advance to those that offer their insights...tomorrow I will be in Stockbridge Mi. for the all clubs day meet...come to the SW corner and look for Mike S if your close by
MS
When I owned my 2010 . The tires helped but best improvement I made was changing handle bars to a little higher flatter one. Like Ducati installed on SF 848. I don’t recall which one I used. It might have been renthal . It made a big difference for me on how bike felt especially on tighter roads.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
When I owned my 2010 . The tires helped but best improvement I made was changing handle bars to a little higher flatter one. Like Ducati installed on SF 848. I don’t recall which one I used. It might have been renthal . It made a big difference for me on how bike felt especially on tighter roads.
Renthal Street Low (858) was my choice, flatter with less pullback...have the same bar on my Speed Triple R.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I picked up a SFS in July and it had Pirelli Diablo tires on it. I changed those out for the Michelin Pilot RS and never looked back. They are great tires I use them on my 1098 S superbike. Can't go wrong with those tires smooth ride and plenty of grip. They last a long time.

1098 SF are no joke, but insanely fun to ride and more comfortable for longer hauls.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts