Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Just a little introduction and some questions about the "new to me" 2010 Multistrada 1200S.
I had my mind set on a 2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer, having had the Tiger 800, and still having a 1974 Tiger 750, until the dealer offered me a test ride on a 2010 Ducati MST 1200S....and I was sold. Got a great out of the door price (I think) of US$10,500.- including a 3 Year warranty and panniers attached. In all I think after looking online, a good deal. 15k miles on the clock and the desmo service just performed, as well as new front and rear tires. Heated grips included as well, even though that might be a moot point here in Southern Texas.

So here is one question I can't figure out the answer, "Is my electronic adjustable" suspension working?

Having played around at the dealership on a new 2015 MST 1200S, which I know has a different suspension, I could hear and see the adjustments, lowering the big and noticeable noise coming from it.
On my 2010, when switching between modes, the bike confirms the change, but I cannot hear, see or feel a difference.
Now, I just picked it up late last night with a trailer and have not actually driven it, but again, on the 2015 with no engine running, it was visible and you could hear the change being performed.

Is that different, could anyone with an older model let me know if I should be concerned it isn't working, or maybe it indeed is different from the 2015 and is working silently in the background.

Thanks and looking forward to contribute over time to this forum as much as I can.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Hello all,

Just a little introduction and some questions about the "new to me" 2010 Multistrada 1200S.
I had my mind set on a 2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer, having had the Tiger 800, and still having a 1974 Tiger 750, until the dealer offered me a test ride on a 2010 Ducati MST 1200S....and I was sold. Got a great out of the door price (I think) of US$10,500.- including a 3 Year warranty and panniers attached. In all I think after looking online, a good deal. 15k miles on the clock and the desmo service just performed, as well as new front and rear tires. Heated grips included as well, even though that might be a moot point here in Southern Texas.

So here is one question I can't figure out the answer, "Is my electronic adjustable" suspension working?

Having played around at the dealership on a new 2015 MST 1200S, which I know has a different suspension, I could hear and see the adjustments, lowering the big and noticeable noise coming from it.
On my 2010, when switching between modes, the bike confirms the change, but I cannot hear, see or feel a difference.
Now, I just picked it up late last night with a trailer and have not actually driven it, but again, on the 2015 with no engine running, it was visible and you could hear the change being performed.

Is that different, could anyone with an older model let me know if I should be concerned it isn't working, or maybe it indeed is different from the 2015 and is working silently in the background.

Thanks and looking forward to contribute over time to this forum as much as I can.
First of all the general consensus is that the abbreviation is "MTS", that will help erase some of your noob cred. :)

My cousin had the same issue when he test rode his 13 last year... he couldn't hear the suspension adjusting so he assumed it wasn't working. I rode it and confirmed with seat of pants that it was indeed working (though it's default settings were stiffer than the 15).

I'm also not sure if the pre-DVT bikes had the same power up sequence (where the suspension adjusts on ignition power). Maybe some of the pre-15 owners can comment on the startup.

Congrats... you've got a great bike, there is a LOT of info on the board that will help you with the few snafu's the bike has (it's a Ducati after all, will drive you nuts on occasion), but when you're riding you'll forget all that.

I've still got my Tiger 955... love that bike and still reliable (nothing more than routine maintenance) after 60,000 miles. I too looked at the Explorer, but for road oriented ADV bikes (which the Explorer is) the Multistrada is tough to beat.

Reactions: Bobcat Sig

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all the general consensus is that the abbreviation is "MTS", that will help erase some of your noob cred. :)

My cousin had the same issue when he test rode his 13 last year... he couldn't hear the suspension adjusting so he assumed it wasn't working. I rode it and confirmed with seat of pants that it was indeed working (though it's default settings were stiffer than the 15).

I'm also not sure if the pre-DVT bikes had the same power up sequence (where the suspension adjusts on ignition power). Maybe some of the pre-15 owners can comment on the startup.

Congrats... you've got a great bike, there is a LOT of info on the board that will help you with the few snafu's the bike has (it's a Ducati after all, will drive you nuts on occasion), but when you're riding you'll forget all that.

I've still got my Tiger 955... love that bike and still reliable (nothing more than routine maintenance) after 60,000 miles. I too looked at the Explorer, but for road oriented ADV bikes (which the Explorer is) the Multistrada is tough to beat.
Oops, indeed MTS makes more sense, well new to the Ducati world, after multiple BMW, Triumph and Yamaha, please go easy on me as I am sure I will have tons of stupid questions to ask. :grin2:

Thank you for your insight, with a 30" inseam I was hoping, as suggested in other threads, setting it to Urban will slightly lower the seat hight, well not that I could tell, so tippy-toes it is, which is fine with me as I rarely sit and mostly move anyway.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oops, indeed MTS makes more sense, well new to the Ducati world, after multiple BMW, Triumph and Yamaha, please go easy on me as I am sure I will have tons of stupid questions to ask. :grin2:

There are no stupid questions, just that one that isn't asked.... Well.. Almost. Welcome to the board and there is a lot to know about these bikes, you will find. As for your question, I too notice this, your 10 is pretty much the same as our '11, and the suspension changing is not as discernible as for instance our '14. I thought the same thing when we got this bike, but hopefully you have a manual, go through it to tune the suspension, and for fun set the rear compression temporarily to full stiff in one of the modes and you will feel a very large difference to the softer settings.

Welcome, have fun!

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Yea it's pretty easy to 'verify that something is happening'. Set the suspension to full soft and ride a bumpy road, then turn around, set the suspension to full stiff and ride back.

It becomes PAINFULLY obvious that the suspension is different.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If you have good vision, you can see the rear shock being compressed when changing pre-load settings. It happens pretty quickly, so you gotta be fast or else you'll miss it. The shock collar moves a maximum of 8mm I believe.
@DaveK, no the pre-dvt bikes don't have a power up sequence.

Congrats on the bike!

Do a search, not too long ago there was thread about what mods are the needed/best.

·
Registered
172 Posts
suspension settings

alvitdk, Not knowing what the previous owner may have changed in the suspension settings my suggestion is to return the suspension to the default settings. This is easily accomplished by scrolling thru the suspension menus and selecting "default settings" or something to that effect. If you have the owners manual the procedure is outlined. If you don't have the manual look around online and download one for your model/year. The previous owner may have set the rear preload to the same number in all settings so no noticeable changes in ride height will happen. The front preload is a manual operation.

Cheers and good luck with the new bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alvitdk, Not knowing what the previous owner may have changed in the suspension settings my suggestion is to return the suspension to the default settings. This is easily accomplished by scrolling thru the suspension menus and selecting "default settings" or something to that effect. If you have the owners manual the procedure is outlined. If you don't have the manual look around online and download one for your model/year. The previous owner may have set the rear preload to the same number in all settings so no noticeable changes in ride height will happen. The front preload is a manual operation.

Cheers and good luck with the new bike.
Yep, thats exactly what happen, thanks a lot. All setting where at #6, set it to default and now I hear the magic working.
Next......looking for useful mods :grin2:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Came here for the MTS correction. :D

You might also check to see if your bike has been equipped with the Ohlins SCU. It is an aftermarket suspension control unit that gets you very similar functionality to the newer bikes with the Sachs Skyhook suspension. Effectively, it gives you a semi-active suspension system that adjusts on the fly. I have it and I highly recommend it.

Welcome!

·
Green owner of Red MTS1200
151 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, I like the white versions, not as many around either.

If you ever have cause to disconnect the battery (negative first) you'll get to hear the Ohlins servo motor in full flight, one direction then back again as it recalibrates its position, gave me a bit of a surprise first time it did it..

Enjoy the ride!

Cheers John

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ohlins SCU

Came here for the MTS correction. :D

You might also check to see if your bike has been equipped with the Ohlins SCU. It is an aftermarket suspension control unit that gets you very similar functionality to the newer bikes with the Sachs Skyhook suspension. Effectively, it gives you a semi-active suspension system that adjusts on the fly. I have it and I highly recommend it.

Welcome!
Good call Bobcat Sig. I also have the Ohlins SCU. The unit is only active if the damping settings are set to 1, on all other damping settings it acts like the factory SCU. If you set the damping settings to 1 and the bike has essentially no damping front or rear you do not have the Ohlin SCU.

Cheers

·
Registered
982 Posts
Good call Bobcat Sig. I also have the Ohlins SCU. The unit is only active if the damping settings are set to 1, on all other damping settings it acts like the factory SCU. If you set the damping settings to 1 and the bike has essentially no damping front or rear you do not have the Ohlin SCU.

Cheers
Yes, correct.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the suggestion, I might look into it after I get used to the bike, put 200 miles on it today to explore all the different riding settings. On that note, I had a "DES Pre-load ERROR" after I stopped and turned the ignition back on.
Resetting to factory default did not make a difference, turning the whole bike on and off several times brought it back to life....anything to be concerned about? Maybe because I changed settings (Enduro, Urban......) during the ride?

Not the best of a start with the bike I have to say, hopefully not more to come :frown2:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion, I might look into it after I get used to the bike, put 200 miles on it today to explore all the different riding settings. On that note, I had a "DES Pre-load ERROR" after I stopped and turned the ignition back on.
Resetting to factory default did not make a difference, turning the whole bike on and off several times brought it back to life....anything to be concerned about? Maybe because I changed settings (Enduro, Urban......) during the ride?

Not the best of a start with the bike I have to say, hopefully not more to come :frown2:

Sometimes they give a preload error. Not often, but it will happen now and then. Not to much to concern about as long as you can still hear the zooming noise it's working, I think it's a sensor that just isn't getting the right info or something like that.

·
151 Posts
i have seen it when the bike is loaded or sitting on the bike asking it for different pre-load setting. Now I generally take my weight off the seat to change pre-load settings. The motor should cope but... and as they say YMMV

Cheers John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have seen it when the bike is loaded or sitting on the bike asking it for different pre-load setting. Now I generally take my weight off the seat to change pre-load settings. The motor should cope but... and as they say YMMV

Cheers John
YMMV :confused:

Sorry, could ask my kids for the meaning of it, I am sure they know, I only got used to LOL and the likes :grin2:

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts

Might just be a bump in the road, but DES errors were kind if a right of passage with the 2010's, the story was it was due to corrupted software in quite a few of the early DES ECUs. The fix was typically to replace the DES ECU. Hopefully it will be a one time thing for your bike.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Congrats on your newish multi, I also have a 2010 multi with ohlins, the SCU the boys talk about is the best money you could spend on this bike, and the biggest plus, is it reduces the front end dive while hard on the brakes. Great bike, mines just done over 60K, and no issues other than not being able to lower the head light angle. PS depending on your weight, and wether you intend on 2up riding, a heavier rear spring is a must on this model duc.

Reactions: Johns-bikes

·
151 Posts
YMMV :confused:

Sorry, could ask my kids for the meaning of it, I am sure they know, I only got used to LOL and the likes :grin2:
Sorry it's something I picked up here, "your mileage may vary" meaning my results might be different to yours..

Enjoy that bike, I've been out thrashing mine today, have the Ohlins ECU and now Tuneboy software with K&N filter, and Mivv Suono and its freed up all the HP for a very crisp machine.

Cheers John

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Do yourself a favor and check the front right fork serial# .Underneath by the pinch bolts.

Seems that there was a bad batch that may crack when tightening.
My early 2011 was in the batch I was not notified about the issue , and I did check the number at the time, and it was not included in the batch.

So just double check, Ducati will pay if it is one of the bad ones.
Not an issue until one tightens the bolts and it cracks.

I had a Ducati dealer change the seals and the Alert Mechanic did the research and found my fork was in the batch, Says something about getting a GOOD dealer to go over the bike occasionally.

Put some tape on your finger when you set it up for the SCU. A Zillion pushes of the button to set it all to 1.

I had the preload error and I was very concerned!!! But just shutting it down waiting a few seconds and it did not reappear!

So Ducatis are like the old OLDSMOBILES they sometimes fix themselves!!

Great Bike and some people here will Whine about the smallest issues.
Fix it Or Eff it.

Great Bike Buckets of fun, Dont worry about what might happen...
Best part is switching on the fly, I start out in urban to get thru town then the it almost always ends up in Sport mode.

Overthinking takes away from the fun factor.
Do the pre ride checks and do stop and check out anything that sounds feels smells different than the norm.

It bike just keeps getting better and better.
I have zero desire to change bikes even the pretty new ones.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts