Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went with a buddy to look at a 900 Supersport and came home with a bit more for myself. Previously loved 900CR that owner pulled the engine and rebuilt in 2011 but never finished and his wife pushed the disassembled parts out of the garage. Thus it will become a project upcoming in my garage. Years ago saw "Floundering" (Redmond/Tacoma area) with his modernized Supersport and inspired by that. (I already have a mint condition SS SP but I refuse to modify)

Just going to gather some additional suspension parts upcoming and source full length fairings and a mono tail. I already have a DS1000 engine w/electronics and dash with 691 miles on it that was crashed as it came out of first service at DucSea. Owned gunned it and hit the back of a car. They rolled it inside and it was parted out a few weeks later and I acquired the complete driveline for a project like this one day.

Time to make it happen.

·
Registered
944 Posts
It's time to have fun with that project

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be interested in those side fairings if you’re not using them.
Let me get further into this project and I will list what won't be used. All the suspension, brakes, wheels, swingarm, engine, exhaust, CF cans, Mikuni's, electrical, wiring harness, dash, airbox, etc will all be removed. [given the transplant to fuel injected fun and some suspension upgrades] I'd like to do full length fairings [pre-FE style] as I will use a spare S4RS oil cooler I have and need the fairings to hide it. I will PM you first on the CR bodywork when the time comes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lengths some people will go to fit a bike in the back of the wagon. Can't wait to see it in one piece.
The engine, rear suspension, rear wheel and a box of parts went with what I showed on the assembled frame. I just pulled the front fork off of it -- 5 minutes and easier to move it about by one person and to load. (I originally was only going to buy a few parts but for 2 Benjamin's more he sold me the whole thing) Title was clear and notarized. (and no issue at DMV since) He bought it disassembled and was over his head before he started. He had lost the keys and never had removed the seat or flipped up the tank. His wife had pushed it out of the garage onto the rear porch. It all had "to go"...

This was the picture he posted on CL listing it. Nobody else drove out to look at it for four days before I did.

I figured at least it would get a good life with myself upcoming (although in modified form). I wanted a 2nd one to use for weekend fun and summer travels with bags attached.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to use an airbox instead of the pod filter routine. Thus sourced a 2008 Hypermotard airbox assembly that will fit within the Supersport frame. [it will require front / rear mounting brackets to install] Still much easier than trying to adapt the factory 900 airbox to the DS engine and any tuning issues. ECU / electronics and battery will get mounted elsewhere within the frame now. [Suggestion to use was from Felix in the UK at Team2moto]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Friend offered up an 821 Monster doublesided swingarm from his personal SportClassic project he abandoned after an injury. [older picture] 821 swingarm is a little too wide for installation in stock form. This was the initial cut to split it and narrow. Machined on the mill to face the cuts cleanly and TIG welded (argon/helium) and "boxed". Everything shimmed for perfect chain alignment per factory chain guides. Bunch of parts will need to be made for the 999 rear wheel and rear brake caliper mounting. More pics upcoming.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sweet Blessed Mother of Fabrication lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought everything aside from the modified SportClassic frame. [my MH900e parts above will go to another project] 821 Monster swingarm fully configured. [999S cush/sprocket setup needs a minor milling operation and moved 4mm over] Multistrada DS1000 engine with all wiring / injection / ECU and < 600 miles on it and it fires and runs. Custom 2-into-1 exhaust with equal length headers with bitsa from 796/696 Monsters and 1098 to create and a 1098 cored can assembly. I will cnc mill custom rearsets (solidworks/HSMWorks) to support the outer swingarm pivot and make more 900SS than Monster-esque. Need to modify 900SS frame for front header clearance and offset breather (not shown) and upper shock bracket. It ain't gonna be stock but desire is to keep it "Ducati". Hopefully full length fairing does not interfere with exhaust. Probably need additional heat shielding to protect from melted fairings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Above SportClassic frame is ex-Floundering [Joel?] donor bike apparently. Strange I wanted to build modern 900SS like his and some bitsa from his was kissed along the way. Small world.

·
Registered
26 Posts
And to think - I have parts from Joel dating back to 2008 from his projects on two of my bikes!! His 900SS was quite a cool bike.
I haven't looked at this site in years... and here's the third post I read! Awesome.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I want to use an airbox instead of the pod filter routine. Thus sourced a 2008 Hypermotard airbox assembly that will fit within the Supersport frame. [it will require front / rear mounting brackets to install] Still much easier than trying to adapt the factory 900 airbox to the DS engine and any tuning issues. ECU / electronics and battery will get mounted elsewhere within the frame now. [Suggestion to use was from Felix in the UK at Team2moto]
you could try a 900/1000ssie airbox - i think it'd almost fit straight in. way easier than the hyper box, and better air inlet too. the hyper airbox, unless heavily modified, is more restrictive than any ss airbox.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found some 900SS OEM fairings for the project

1 - 19 of 19 Posts