Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Greetings from Central Oregon.

Finally got to 'meet' my 1198R which had been delivered at my vacation property about a month ago.
Below are my initial impressions after living with it for 1 day. The benchmark is several generations of other Ducatis and an MV Agusta F4 312R which is my 'go to' bike. The MV has an X-Bikes tune (Microtech) + RG3 pipes.
The 1198R has an EVO pipe coupled to Microtech ECU + a whole bunch of other stuff.

Anyhow, here we go :

+ Beautiful bike, just gorgeous
+ Planted feeling, great corner speed
+ Comfortable ergonomics (compared to the MV), I think I could tour on this all day
+ Great Torque, can ride it in any gear
- The rev limiter warning lights do not work as intented, it takes a fraction of a second to blow through all 3 of them
- Top-end not as violent as the MV
- What is wrong with Dzus fasteners for an R bike ? Took me quite some time to get to the battery/ECU
- Why on earth is the ECU placed below the battery ? Tail section would have been nice, esp. for hooking up to laptop

Questions :
- Anybody put Dzus on an 1198 ?
- What am I missing re the ECU ? How do I make access more convenient ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Why would you want to make access more convenient? Once it's tuned it's tuned.
The Microtec has a long interface lead, cable tie it to the frame or some other bit near where you can gain access to it, for whatever reason. Dzus fasteners? Lack of them is a mild inconvenience for a road bike but a major one if an extra 2-3 minutes is precious to you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you are wrong there, those look like forged aftermarket Marchesini M10RS Corse forged Magnesium wheels
Stunning Bike! and wow those wheels are spectacular - I'd love a set for my bike (in gold)

Correct.

Sorry if I gave the impression of a lukewarm review. I was so exited about the bike I immediately hopped on it the day after a 20 hour international commute. Also - roads are getting tricky over here, it's freezing every night, so I can't perform a good test.

The bike will move to Fort Worth, TX in January when I start my next assignment. Will also take my MV along and leave the 998 FE and 999S here in Oregon.

I was able to get into the Microtec by now - which gives me some level of comfort. From what I understand the DTC settings have to be changed even after swapping tires, so I do not want to ignore the importance of this.

Thanks about the comments on my driveway. Its half a mile and I can do 0 to 60s on the initial stretch from the gate :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
What's the story on the front nose fairing? Is that aftermarket plastics? The factory piece is red all the way to the top.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I was giving you a hard time for fun, but mostly, b/c if I worked for you I would not pipe up like I did. The risk would be too great. Someone had to do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts