Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the motorcycle Biz for 40 years, primarily with Harley stuff, but the deal of the century came about. The local county attorney office had a seal bid going on the bike for "In leu of restitution", and I got lucky (or maybe unlucky). I was able to go up & look it over & start it, and it was in pretty good shape for 24k. It came with a salvage tittle, but if it had been wrecked, they did a good job fixing it.
I've been doing my detective work to find out some history & service info on it, with it originating out of New Jersey. The last know contact at a dealer was at 22k in '18 in Maryland for a service code clearing, possibly meaning a independent mechanic or owner (any hints on who could've done that?) Then it went MIA & showed up here in Montana, with no "semi-Local" dealers having contact with it. Along its path, there has been no documentation on a major service, but it runs to well & has signs of some care giving.
So I'm leaning towards getting it out to Portland for "the big One", and worse item I seeing after a skin removal is a coolant leaking vertical base gasket & a burnt kickstand sensor lead. I've bought a CD manual, and its not bad, but the Electrical diagrams aren't really legible for color codes, so a direction for a good one would be appreciated. I know I could probably do the work myself, but time is money, and my time can pay for someone's else at this point. I would love to haul it to Portland (a fun town), but during the current corona situation, shipping might be easier & cost effective once hotel/food/booze/gas adds up.
Thanks for reading & hopefully you folks can guide me into this adventure.

·
Bon Vivant
10,795 Posts
Jeff, what do you want to do with it? (I dont know what "the big one" in Portland is)
As for the kickstand sensor - if it wasnt connecting the bike wouldnt start so that's probably OK. Base gasket is a pain in the ass and will probably be pretty expensive.
You didnt say what you paid for the bike but I hope it wasnt too much - a standard 1098 in good condition is running about $6500 to $7500 right now. with a salvage title you can probably knock about $2k off the price. People see the Ducati name and think big bucks, but that is not always the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the big service job, as so far I have not found any evidence of a valve adjustment or belts in recent years. But if it went 24k without anything & runs this good would be a miracle, so probably somewhere/time it got attention. The kickstand sensor was burnt up at the plug, it probably was disconnected before hand and the plug hit the pipe. I've gotten this far though life without a kickstand warning system on any bike, why start now? I got into it right, so with a couple "K$" service, it'll be in the ballpark as value goes. The salvage title does make me wonder if it was some ploy to get it switched over from a Maryland title. As I said, if it was wrecked, they did a damn good job of fixing it, & I've been around a lot of wrecked bikes in my motorcycling career.
I'm still investigating leads, and will call an insurance guy I know, & maybe he can track something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts