Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ST2
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey I got a 99 ST2 a couple months ago with low miles. It has Staintune pipes but seemed like it just needs a retune. I went and replaced the fuel filter and found out mice had moved into the airbox. Replaced the filter with a KN and the spark plugs. It is slightly more jerky feeling now. My other thought is clogged injectors but I was hoping to wait for winter to do that. I got a Burn2 and a couple chips but can not find a true XDF or BIN to try anywhere.
So yeah all my other bikes have been older Honda or Suzuki with carbs. I want to get the running part straightened out before doing SS hoses this winter. Still need to try the temp sensor swap too.
Edit: clock is at 13,000 mi, not sure if valve clearance has been checked.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Odds are likely you have some vacuum leaks if mice have been in there, flashing the eprom won't help that. Mice like wire insulation too.

·
Registered
1999 ST2
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Odds are likely you have some vacuum leaks if mice have been in there, flashing the eprom won't help that. Mice like wire insulation too.
Maybe but it feels more like it's running lean without any gas smell. The tach is kinda wonky and starts to work after warming up. I have the manual but haven't started going through all the grounds yet. Just unclipped and reseated the connectors when the RH fairing was off(battery terminal was loose).

·
Registered
99' 996
283 Posts
For the tach pull it off the bike and make sure the little brass screws on the back are tight. This is an issue with most every Duc from that era. I would run some good injection cleaner through it before I started pulling injectors. Some Lucas, Redline or Seafoam. Have you pulled the plugs yet? And an ST2 isnt setup to be a ripper. With the torque output of these bikes and the gearing you wont get that seat of the pants kick you get when a japanese bike hits its stride.

Before you go randomly replacing parts and pulling things buy LT Snyders manual from Desmo Times. Learn the bike. They arent particularly complicated but they are very different than the Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
1999 ST2
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the tach pull it off the bike and make sure the little brass screws on the back are tight. This is an issue with most every Duc from that era. I would run some good injection cleaner through it before I started pulling injectors. Some Lucas, Redline or Seafoam. Have you pulled the plugs yet? And an ST2 isnt setup to be a ripper. With the torque output of these bikes and the gearing you wont get that seat of the pants kick you get when a japanese bike hits its stride.

Before you go randomly replacing parts and pulling things buy LT Snyders manual from Desmo Times. Learn the bike. They arent particularly complicated but they are very different than the Japanese bikes.
Yeah it's fast enough for me as is, it just needs to be smoother. I've read the 2-3k area can be rough. I learned on a CX650 and that torque feels right for me.
The plugs looked better than I expected with light tan color, definitely no black rich spot. I wanted to put a couple miles on the new ones and look again now that the filter and intake aren't stuffed with insulation.
I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

·
Registered
99' 996
283 Posts
Have you ridden a bike with a dry clutch before? That for me more than anything else took some getting used to. Had to learn that even with the extra torque I had to take off with more RPM than the GSXR I did have or the clutch would chatter. Which makes the bike not feel smooth, especially with all that torque and engine braking banging back and forth. So keep that in mind as well, if you chop the throttle you will get a lot of engine braking. If it feels jerky under roll on acceleration you could also have clutch slippage.

·
Registered
1999 ST2
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ridden a bike with a dry clutch before? That for me more than anything else took some getting used to. Had to learn that even with the extra torque I had to take off with more RPM than the GSXR I did have or the clutch would chatter. Which makes the bike not feel smooth, especially with all that torque and engine braking banging back and forth. So keep that in mind as well, if you chop the throttle you will get a lot of engine braking. If it feels jerky under roll on acceleration you could also have clutch slippage.
Nope, never had a bike with one just cars. But it was weird at first. But it looks like clutch hose is original or at least oem, felt spongey a couple times. The real problem is that it really doesn't like to run below 35mph. Like it surges too much. Around 5kish I get a pop sometimes, not a backfire though. A first gear pull from stop does feel nice though. PO put a throttle lock on it like for cruise control. Idk if that can mess with the tps?

·
Registered
99' 996
283 Posts
I will agree with RockAZ on this one, sounds like probably vacuum leaks are at play. The throttle linkages are prone to wear and seal failure and can leak as well as the hoses. I would start by smoke testing it. The intake gaskets can be prone to leaking as well if they have been reused more than a couple times. If it is the kind of throttle lock that just locks the grip then no it cant effect the TPS.

There are numerous methods for building cheap smoke testers. this one is my personal favorite. Use a latex glove over the throttle body. Cut one of the fingers and tape the hose in. Then light up a stogie.

·
Registered
1999 ST2
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm going to make a new post in ST with updates after I check the vacuum hoses and pull the plugs again to see how they're doing. But if someone has an xdf or bin to compare mine would be awesome(32k - 16m ecu). Idk if mine is even stock.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,610 Posts
I'm going to make a new post in ST with updates after I check the vacuum hoses and pull the plugs again to see how they're doing. But if someone has an xdf or bin to compare mine would be awesome(32k - 16m ecu). Idk if mine is even stock.
ECU map requests should be made here 👇, but you should check the whole thread before asking just in case it already exists.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Any hose could be the leak, but yes - I was thinking of the o rings, #14 in the last pic

·
Registered
70 Posts
If your not sure when the valves were last checked, then do you know when the belts were last changed? Often these go together and if the belts are old you don't want to risk them breaking which then creates a whole lot of other problems

·
Registered
1999 ST2
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your not sure when the valves were last checked, then do you know when the belts were last changed? Often these go together and if the belts are old you don't want to risk them breaking which then creates a whole lot of other problems
The PO told me belts were done at 10k, but didn't have any paperwork so I can't say for certain. It just came up when I asked if the valves were adjustable or use a disk like old Suzukis. I was kinda planning on going through everything myself anyway. Original/only owner off craigslist....
Now that I think about it, I should just throw my compression gauge on and crank it when I get around to looking at plugs again, to see if I'm just wasting time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The PO told me belts were done at 10k, but didn't have any paperwork so I can't say for certain. It just came up when I asked if the valves were adjustable or use a disk like old Suzukis. I was kinda planning on going through everything myself anyway. Original/only owner off craigslist....
Now that I think about it, I should just throw my compression gauge on and crank it when I get around to looking at plugs again, to see if I'm just wasting time.
So the they are good on mileage. if they are more than 2-3 years old you may want to replace them anyway as they can get brittle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts