Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a '93 900SS a few months ago. Flew up to Portland to buy it and rode it back down to the bay area. My first bike was an old Yamaha 650 and turned out to be a bit more of a project than I wanted (I'm in college and I work, don't have the time to dedicate to restoring a bike), and when I started entertaining the idea of getting a new bike my dad suggested I check out a Ducati Supersport. From the first time I heard one I fell in love.. So far it's been great, fun to ride, sounds great, all the electrics work (so far). Looking forward to learning more about these bikes!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Welcome to the Ducati family, not really sure 23 year old bike qualifies as Modern though ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Picked up a '93 900SS a few months ago. ... My first bike was an old Yamaha 650 and turned out to be a bit more of a project than I wanted ...
You didn't want another project so you bought a 23 year old Ducati? Haha!

With that said, its a great bike, and hopefully you have some maintenance history especially regarding the valve adjustments and timing belts. If not, you might consider checking the valve clearances, and replacing those belts asap.
* Belt failure turns a fun Ducati into a beautiful paper weight in about 2 seconds. >:)

Welcome to the Ducati family, not really sure 23 year old bike qualifies as Modern though ;)
I can relate, whenever I look at anything over 2000 I still think its brand new... then my friends remind me that 2000 is 16 years old already. haha!

Congrats Revcor, looking forward to some pics.

p.s. wasn't trying to be a buzz kill...

·
Administrator
12,471 Posts
Back in the day we used to have these but the modern bikes have really come a long way since then...

Reactions: Wonway

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha yeah it's not exactly new but I have the same issue.. anything newer than 2000 I consider brand new and anything since around when I was born (1990) fairly new. 1977 -> 1993 baby steps. I don't have the skill to use 150-200hp in a motorcycle so I was more than happy to settle for something a little older with (to me) more character. I love old vehicles of all types, they just have more soul to me than modern ones with 4,000,000,000 lines of computer code and a million processors and sensors.

I'm aware of the crucial valve and belt checks, it was done not too long before I bought it, and I have a decent bit of mechanic experience and my dad is a mechanic by trade (everything: street cars, race cars, motorcycles, airplanes) so when it comes time he can lend a hand if I need it.

I did lay the bike down in a minor way on the way to work a month ago (combination of a van not using its turn signal, my probably following a bit to close, and the realization afterwards that the tires that had come on the Ducati were about 12 years old and didn't respond to hard braking very well). I was able to find a new left fairing, turn signals, mirror, etc. now just researching tires before it all goes back together.

·
Registered
162 Posts
100% agree with you about older vehicles; new ones are smoother, quieter and have more power but they are so refined and safe that the soul feels removed...

My bike history has included several 70-80s Honda/Suzuki's, I got a "modern" 98' FZR600, and now I've entered the realm of fuel injection with an 02' 900ss and a 2008 Versys650.

Why spend $12k when $500-$2,000 puts a big enough smile on your face.

With regards to your recent 'learning experience' I'm glad it wasn't serious, and definitely get yourself some new rubber ASAP. The first thing I did with both my Ducati and Versys was install new tires; its really the only thing that keeps you attached to the road.

As a bonus you'll notice your bike instantly handles better too!

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's all relative. I ride a 99 ST4 and it's the modern bike I've ever had, 100 HP and a top speed that will land me in jail in certain states. Enjoy your new ride and think about riding down to Monteray for WSB in July. A number of us on this forum will be there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
100% agree with you about older vehicles; new ones are smoother, quieter and have more power but they are so refined and safe that the soul feels removed...

My bike history has included several 70-80s Honda/Suzuki's, I got a "modern" 98' FZR600, and now I've entered the realm of fuel injection with an 02' 900ss and a 2008 Versys650.

Why spend $12k when $500-$2,000 puts a big enough smile on your face.

With regards to your recent 'learning experience' I'm glad it wasn't serious, and definitely get yourself some new rubber ASAP. The first thing I did with both my Ducati and Versys was install new tires; its really the only thing that keeps you attached to the road.

As a bonus you'll notice your bike instantly handles better too!
I'm hoping to have a set of tires ordered within the next few days. I was going to go with some Bridgestone S20's but the company only had sets that were at the end of their shelf life since Bridgestone has since started producing an new model. My choices seem fairly limited as almost all tire companies with their current sport tires seem to be dropping the 170/60-17 rear size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was under the impression that putting a different sized tire than stock would negatively affect handling

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got a set of proper sized Michelin Pilots from Bike Bandit a few months ago for like $200. And the manufacturer date on the tire was less than a year old; forget what the exact date was..

and yea basically wider tires handle slower than thinner tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm deciding between the Michelin Pilot Power and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II. Both come in stock size. Are the pilot powers the ones you got?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yea. Just the normal Pilot Powers. Not the 2 or 3..

I have Pilot Roads on my other bike and love them! (All season/all weather bike)

Sadly I mounted the Powers on my 900ss a couple months ago and it's been freezing since, so I haven't spent much time on them yet. However compared to the old rubber they're 10x better. Powers have a long history of good reviews; but I'm sure you'll be happy with either tire.

The Internet has plenty of good reviews and opinions on both.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm deciding between the Michelin Pilot Power and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II. Both come in stock size. Are the pilot powers the ones you got?
Good choice staying with stock size. PO on my ST4 went up to a 190 probably because he thought it looked cool. Can't wait for it to wear out some (brand new) so I can go back to stock (180) and lighten up the handling.

·
Super Moderator
5,117 Posts
Okay guys...this is the introduction section.

If you want to turn this discussion to a tire thread please post there!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts