Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I had a 2005 GSX-R 750. I'm exploring the idea of getting a v-twin. I know the powerband is different but can you guys give me some pros and cons between switching over?

·
Registered
175 Posts
cons: higher maintenance cost. there ya go. short and sweet.

pros: you'll smile ear to ear every time you ride, that sweet ducati sound, you will drool looking at it in the garage, others will drool watching you ride by, it's a ducati-it gets in your blood (buy one and you will know)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hey guys. I had a 2005 GSX-R 750. I'm exploring the idea of getting a v-twin. I know the powerband is different but can you guys give me some pros and cons between switching over?
The Gixxer 750 is a performance bargain, but, for those like me, is lacking in the more subjective areas, like design and sound. Japanese bikes seem to be designed by committees; the parts are OK individually, but there doesn't appear to be a total vision for the assembled machine. Ducatis, for the most part, exhibit the excellence of Italian design, without relying on decal graphics to carry the look. Ducati designs can be timeless, where something done in the 90's still looks good today (best example: the 916 series).
The exhaust sound is another Ducati trait and is endemic to a 90-degree twin engine. Subjective, yes, but distinctive as well versus the Japanese Big 4 (and now BMW).

Performance-wise, it will be tough to beat your 750, especially for the money, but in more emotional areas the Ducati has the Japanese companies covered.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Sound
Torque
Style
Handling
Distinctive
Conversation starter
Grin factor
Elite
Flair
Brilliant engine braking
Quick into and out of corners
Comfortable
Excellent resale price
Reliable
Lots of OEM and aftermarket bits available
Bags of things to mod - performance and bling

Summary - fun, fun and even more fun!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've ridden an older Gixxer 750 and just went from an EX500 to a 900 Sport.

The Ducati's are an odd breed, when compared to the Jap bikes, Duc's make their power from idle all the way till they hit the rev limiter and power seems to be very linear. Japanese bikes seem to really like to be wound up and have rev zones you need to stick to in order to run the bike hard.

In that respect, I enjoy the Duc because I don't feel I have to gear down so much in order to keep up with others. The Duc is more of a sport bike for the street where speeds seldom go North of 80mph while the Jap bikes would shine at the higher speeds (although the 900 feels very stable at high speeds too).

Then there is the look and the sound. Unless you REALLY know your bikes, all Japanese bikes tend to look and sound the same and can only be differentiated upon closer look. I can tell you, NO ONE confuses my bike with a Japanese bike, even those that know nothing about bikes, and EVERYONE knows that my Duc is something different when they hear it coming.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Gixxer 750 is a performance bargain, ...
Performance-wise, it will be tough to beat your 750, especially for the money, but in more emotional areas the Ducati has the Japanese companies covered.
Well put. Now, one real difference will be the width between your knees when you ride. I really enjoy the narrow waist of the twin compared to the I-4 bikes. I find it easier to move around on the bike during aggressive riding.

Riding a Ducati is about, well...riding a Ducati!--rather than riding a "motorcycle." If you stick with a 2-valve desmo and are willing to learn how to adjust the valves and the belts--not that hard, really--then the maintenance costs aren't that different.

If riding the Suzuki is like riding a bronco (power through punch), then riding a Ducati is like racing a quarter horse (power through grace).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well put. Now, one real difference will be the width between your knees when you ride. I really enjoy the narrow waist of the twin compared to the I-4 bikes. I find it easier to move around on the bike during aggressive riding.

Riding a Ducati is about, well...riding a Ducati!--rather than riding a "motorcycle." If you stick with a 2-valve desmo and are willing to learn how to adjust the valves and the belts--not that hard, really--then the maintenance costs aren't that different.

If riding the Suzuki is like riding a bronco (power through punch), then riding a Ducati is like racing a quarter horse (power through grace).
I like how you worded this because it makes sense. I had the opportunity to ride an 848. The powerband felt interesting to me because it felt very linear.
It didn't feel like I was going fast but when I looked down at the speedo, I was. Lol. I guess it's something I would have to get used to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
everybodywildou said:
jdg123 said:
cons: higher maintenance cost. there ya go. short and sweet.
Not per say, jdg123. Our friend everybodywildou didn't specify what V2 he's thinking about .... he could decide to stay loyal to his brand and get an SV or TL, in which case it is fair to assume maintenance wouldn't be any more than for his GSXR. Maybe even less :think:

But then, he did ask the question on a Ducati forum, so it is fair to assume he's (also) considering a Ducati V2 (L2) in which case maintenance costs are definitely going to be higher.

Didn't mean to be a smart-ass; happens on these slow days ..... waiting for the turkey :D

NN

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've ridden an older Gixxer 750 and just went from an EX500 to a 900 Sport.

The Ducati's are an odd breed, when compared to the Jap bikes, Duc's make their power from idle all the way till they hit the rev limiter and power seems to be very linear. Japanese bikes seem to really like to be wound up and have rev zones you need to stick to in order to run the bike hard.

In that respect, I enjoy the Duc because I don't feel I have to gear down so much in order to keep up with others. The Duc is more of a sport bike for the street where speeds seldom go North of 80mph while the Jap bikes would shine at the higher speeds (although the 900 feels very stable at high speeds too).

Then there is the look and the sound. Unless you REALLY know your bikes, all Japanese bikes tend to look and sound the same and can only be differentiated upon closer look. I can tell you, NO ONE confuses my bike with a Japanese bike, even those that know nothing about bikes, and EVERYONE knows that my Duc is something different when they hear it coming.
This is also true. They do have very distinct sounds. You should hear how the 09+ Yamaha R1s sound. You'll find it interesting. It doesn't quite sound like a I4 bike or V2.

Not per say, jdg123. Our friend everybodywildou didn't specify what V2 he's thinking about .... he could decide to stay loyal to his brand and get an SV or TL, in which case it is fair to assume maintenance wouldn't be any more than for his GSXR. Maybe even less :think:

But then, he did ask the question on a Ducati forum, so it is fair to assume he's (also) considering a Ducati V2 (L2) in which case maintenance costs are definitely going to be higher.

Didn't mean to be a smart-ass; happens on these slow days ..... waiting for the turkey :D

NN

Indeed. I like your style NN. haha. Well let me put some of those thoughts to rest and say this. If I ever do decide to go with a V2 I would opt for a Ducati most definitely. Japanese and American V2s never have really done anything or me. If I did decide to stay with a Japanse bike I will probably be looking into the R6's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh one more question for you guys. In terms of power and value, which ducati should I consider to rival (if not outperform) the 750 I used to have? I'm not really looking to purchase a newer bike like a 1098 or 1198 because I don't have that kind of cash at this point in time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've never met a motorcycle I didn't like.

I do have an issue with GSXRs/FZRs/CBRs/etc though. Whenever I ride one of them, I always feel enticed to run the living shit out of them. I guess it's the the way they make power, they feel weak at low RPM, and have such a mind-bending rush on the gas. I'm sure for some people that may be what they love about high perf in-line fours. And on a track, I couldn't argue against it. But for me, street riding, a good 2V Duc beats anything. I can have some slightly illegal fun, where as on any of the Asian missiles I either feel; (A) Bored, because they are so smooth and docile at the lower rev range or (B) Scared, cause they are so damn fast , and about 200% better than I am. or (C) Expecting to be arrested for felony stupid at any moment, because the are so damn fast, and I don't really enjoy (A)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts