Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went away from the Perelli's and went with Michelins this time. Does anyone know how to re-calibrate the traction control for the new tire profile?

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
You can adjust the aggressiveness of the traction control in the menu's... but it's not something you should have to do for a tire change. Traction control will automatically adjust to tire changes, stickier tires will not slip as much and will cause less TC intervention.

Basically... you set the TC to a value that has the amount of intervention you like (from zero slip at all to quite a bit) and go. I've got mine set passive in sport mode and pretty aggressive in touring mode.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DaveK, thanks for your reply. I don't think you are not clear on what I am trying to learn. Let me see if I can better explain. My previous bike (2014 April Tuono) has a calibration mode for the traction control. So that if you changed brands or tires sizes it would essentially measure the circumference of the new tires to optimize the traction control effectivity. That calibration worked in conjunction with the host of other sensors that contributed to the traction control intervention.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
What if you change tire size?
I'm pretty sure that tire size would have to change by a huge amount to cause much of a change in TC behavior... but you're right a tire diameter change does technically change the amount of slip per degree of rotation. So if you measure the exact amount of slip (measured in mm of tire face motion) that can occur before the TC activates, it will be less with a smaller diameter tire and more with a larger diameter.

However... if the diameter change is only a few mm then the change in slip per degree of rotation is going to be TINY (a 5mm change in diameter will change the distance traveled per degree of rotation by about 50 microns, about 1%). So I'm probably not going out to far on a limb to guess that won't be noticeable.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Answer - you probably should take it to a dealer if you're changing tire sizes and are worried about TC calibration.

Question - why are you changing tire sizes? The OEM tire sizes work for almost everything, and every kind of tire you'd want for any kind of riding is available in those sizes. Are you going for a narrower rear to knock off .002 seconds off a lap time so you can compete with Rossi? or are you "darksiding" it and putting a car tire on the rear for those freeway miles? lol :)

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
DaveK, thanks for your reply. I don't think you are not clear on what I am trying to learn. Let me see if I can better explain. My previous bike (2014 April Tuono) has a calibration mode for the traction control. So that if you changed brands or tires sizes it would essentially measure the circumference of the new tires to optimize the traction control effectivity. That calibration worked in conjunction with the host of other sensors that contributed to the traction control intervention.
Hmm... maybe some variation in the TC design. I'm not finding a writeup on the Tuono TC design but I'm guessing the circumference recal was to allow a change in the tire circumference ratio from front to rear (would happen if you go to a lower profile rear for instance). The Multistrada does not need to be manually recalibrated for tire changes, but I'm not sure if they've got some automatic sensing routine that detects a ratio change and automatically corrects or if the TC in the MTS is not sensitive to it (or worst case... a change in front to rear tire ratio might cause a TC malfunction or code). I've never seen a detailed writeup on the Multistrada TC system... I'm sure it'd be interesting reading.

I have read that there are 'emergency' alternative tire sizes that can be used on the multi... because last week I had to get a new rear tire and I was 600 miles from home - thought I might end up getting 'anything that would fit'... luckily, I didn't need to test it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had a V4 Tuono, and no, on the multi it doesn't have that ability to recalibrate the TC like the tuono has. just fit the tires, and ride it. On my 1290 changing tyre brands aparently does affect the TC, but the 1290 doesn't have the recalibration the Tuono has. Thats a smart move by Aprilia fitting that system for accuracy.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Just to make it perfectly clear.

On the Aprilia, you needed to calibrate the TC system manually.

On the Ducati, the TC system calibrates itself automatically every time you turn the engine ON/OFF.
- Thats why it takes ~10 yards of travel before the ABS light goes out. It takes a full revolution or two for the sensors to calibrate with the wheelsize.

So mount and ride, no need to fiddle with stuff that engineers know better then you.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Or you could turn TC off, and be a real man.....................i prefer the leave TC option on, i don't trust my right hand, it has a mind of its own when it sees a bit of competition on the road.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
This is interesting, on my 1198, which was a gen older TC system, there was no calibration and tire/ecu/dtc sizes were fixed, I'd notice different TC performance with different brand tires in the same sizes. Noticeably different.

My MTS intervenes smoother for sure, and the system is better all around than the 1198.

I'd never read anywhere it recalibrates with the ABS system.

The slip maps on the 1098/1198 were fixed for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
This is interesting, on my 1198, which was a gen older TC system, there was no calibration and tire/ecu/dtc sizes were fixed, I'd notice different TC performance with different brand tires in the same sizes. Noticeably different.

My MTS intervenes smoother for sure, and the system is better all around than the 1198.

I'd never read anywhere it recalibrates with the ABS system.

The slip maps on the 1098/1198 were fixed for sure.
If you think about it... it's a logical progression. Early systems probably counted on front and rear tires being close to the same ratio so if you went to a smaller diameter rear it could get confused and think you were spinning the rear because it was turning too far for the same amount of front rotation. Then it would be a big improvement when code was added that would let you recalibrate if your wheels changed diameter... and finally they said "why don't we just recalibrate automatically that when the bike starts and not have to rely on a customer remembering to do it". 'Good' to 'better' to 'better with more lazy' if you ask me.

I have to say... the electronics on these bikes turn tigers that could maul you in a second into kittens (if you turn up all the dials to 'protect me I'm scared' levels)... or in my case a semi-tame tiger that I'd have to do something particularly stupid to get mauled. Of course I'm fully capable even now of doing stupid things...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Answer - you probably should take it to a dealer if you're changing tire sizes and are worried about TC calibration.

Question - why are you changing tire sizes? The OEM tire sizes work for almost everything, and every kind of tire you'd want for any kind of riding is available in those sizes. Are you going for a narrower rear to knock off .002 seconds off a lap time so you can compete with Rossi? or are you "darksiding" it and putting a car tire on the rear for those freeway miles? lol :)
I live in a rural area of Vermont where I often encounter gravel roads. After slicing cuts into 3 sets of the stock tires in 3000 miles I came to the conclusion that they are just not for me. I opted for something with a slightly firmer carcass.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to make it perfectly clear.

On the Aprilia, you needed to calibrate the TC system manually.

On the Ducati, the TC system calibrates itself automatically every time you turn the engine ON/OFF.
- Thats why it takes ~10 yards of travel before the ABS light goes out. It takes a full revolution or two for the sensors to calibrate with the wheelsize.

So mount and ride, no need to fiddle with stuff that engineers know better then you.
I suspected this might be the case but I have not been able to formally confirm that is true.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts