Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to post this in the Tire section but our bikes are so much different than the rest of the Ducati line, I'm hoping the moderators will leave it here. So, here we go:

I'm looking to replace the stock Phantoms (I know, I know...I just bought the bike a month ago - it's at the top of the list, okay!? :) ) I will likely reach the end of the new tires' lifespan by virtue of age as opposed to mileage, so I am leaning more toward a "sport" tire as opposed to a "sport touring" tire. (I'm not overly concerned with reaping high-mileage life from my new tires - I prefer sticky and compliant.) I generally ride around town and have many twisty roads at my disposal, where I ride The Pace. A steering damper is also a likely addition but no further suspension bits for awhile.

I'm leaning (pun?) toward Dunlop Q2's - I would love to hear the community's experiences with these tires and any other suggestions you may have from the collective expertise that's out there.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I run the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT which is a 2 compound tire. Lots on here I've seen say they run them too and we all have been happy. I wouldn't run it at the track, but if you do a mix of commuting and like to lean it over, the harder compound in the center will give you longer life rather than single compound (if you do standard highway mileage where only the center gets abuse). Just a thought too.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Power Pures, less wear, more grip (softer) than the 2CT's and lighter than almost all other tires.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Michelin Power Pures...the dog's bollocks and 2.5lbs lighter than anything else.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You might want to look at the Pirelli Angel. To me they stick about as well as the Diablo 2 but wear much better.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might want to look at the Pirelli Angel. To me they stick about as well as the Diablo 2 but wear much better.
You know Spy, I've heard good things about the Angels but was afraid they were more about tread pattern gimmickry than performance. I'll keep them in the running.

And it seems the Michelin Pures are popular with some other folks, eh?

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
You know Spy, I've heard good things about the Angels but was afraid they were more about tread pattern gimmickry than performance. I'll keep them in the running.

And it seems the Michelin Pures are popular with some other folks, eh?
J, can't say enough about the weight savings of them, makes a noticeable difference in handling.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
J, can't say enough about the weight savings of them, makes a noticeable difference in handling.
Good point - we have enough unsprung weight and gyroscopic effect as it is.

But...According to SportRider Magazine, the Q2's are 10 & 14.26 pounds (front & rear tire respectively) and Michelin Pures (whose exact weight is difficult to establish) are at least 9+ and 13+ pounds according to WWW estimates. Knowing the "bulk" of the Q2's may contribute tho their cornering and braking stability, perhaps the trade-off is beneficial.

Are we splitting hairs? :think:

·
Registered
303 Posts
both the Q2 and pures are great tires. i have the Q2's on track bike and just put pilot power 2CT on the sport1000. I replaced the pilot road 2's which were getting square and sides were starting to feather. The road's were an ok tire, which held decently to some aggressive street riding. I never lost grip but never felt super confident on them either.

I don't think that you will have a problem with either choice, although the pures were just discontinued so you can get them at a discount but if you fall in love with them you won't be able to get another set.

·
Registered
175 Posts
+1 on the Pirelli Diablo supercorsa comments
Had the pilot power 2ct and feel the Pirelli is better- Had a couple of recent track days and very sticky and sure footed. Would buy again.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I thought that meant something bad, like, "His haircut stood out like a dog's balls."

:):confused::D
Jeez....where's LondonDutch when you need him.

The phrase "the dog's bollocks" translates to 'as good as it gets'. Apparently in England, there's nothing better to a dog than licking his bollocks.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Pures are 8.8# front and 12.78# Rear
I am on my 3rd set of Pures and still like them

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=tirecatalog.view
Good point - we have enough unsprung weight and gyroscopic effect as it is.

But...According to SportRider Magazine, the Q2's are 10 & 14.26 pounds (front & rear tire respectively) and Michelin Pures (whose exact weight is difficult to establish) are at least 9+ and 13+ pounds according to WWW estimates. Knowing the "bulk" of the Q2's may contribute tho their cornering and braking stability, perhaps the trade-off is beneficial.

Are we splitting hairs? :think:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'll add this to the discussion, the way you ride is critical to the tire you choose. We always interpret that to mean how aggressively we ride and the trade off between wear and how sticky the tire is.

Many choose near race tires with the idea that money is not as important as great grip. So what I only ride XXXX miles a year is the usual thinking. What's a extra rear tire cost compared to my skin. My fronts outlast the rears almost 2 to 1.

But concider one critical issue that I rarely see discussed. Race tires and near race tires need HEAT to work. Unless your rides are long and riding style super aggressive they may never come to proper or optimum temp. They may actually perform worse than a street biased tire that is designed to warm up quickly and give optimum performance in normal street riding.

FWIW, I use Pirelli Diablo II's which give a great overall "street" balance of characteristics.

Beware of tire tests, they are usually not representive of street riding.

Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts