Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a new pair of shoes for my 916. I commute a ton on it, so longevity would be nice. What are y'all using? She has a pair of diablos on it now... but they are wearing fast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Dunlop Q3+ is supposed to have 20% more mileage out of the center of the tread. I like the Q3's so I am looking forward to a little bit more mileage when it comes time to replace.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Dunlop Q3+ is supposed to have 20% more mileage out of the center of the tread. I like the Q3's so I am looking forward to a little bit more mileage when it comes time to replace.
I agree. For serious get down, I like Supercorsa SC1&2, but for mixed riding the Q3s have been decent and they are ridiculously cheap (about $200/set though sportbiketrackgear.com). I expect even better from the Q3+.

·
Premium Member
5,738 Posts
I just ordered a pair of Rosso Corsa's... it's what I've been riding on for years. Zero complaints so the choice was pretty simple as I never considered anything else. Oh, and I thought the price was good as well, got both for around $350 I believe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I run Q3+ on my 996 track bike and regular Q3s on my Monster 800.
Absolutely fantastic tires and far more inexpensive than they should be.

The Q3+ are a phenomenal track day tire and just as good on the street.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
None of the top tyre manufacturers make dud tyres. With your kind of riding a duel compound road tyre would be the choice. Having tried most of them over the years I think the choice comes down to price and a tread pattern that takes your fancy.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Go with the Q3+... great handling, great price and longer life than the original Q3's. If in the usa, check out sportbike track gear

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The only downside of the Q3 is rain performance, they get kinda hinky on questionable surfaces. But dry grip is great and same goes for the Q3+ If street ridden only I'd be strongly tempted to try the Roadsmart 3, it has test reviews better than the Pilot 4 and cheaper too. I've got a pair of the Roadsmart 2 on my Buell and they work well. I don't hammer it but I do make the suspension earn its keep and turn in and feedback are much like the Q3.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I have crashed on several of makes of the good tires and rate them all about the same.

I plan on crashing on Q3s next, but if I make enough money I'll crash on DOTs next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had all the super extra grip tires on my bikes for many years, but now I'm very happy with Pirelli Angel GT.
They work great in the typical temps range that is usual for road riding. Way better feedback than f.e. a Rosso II
or Supercorsa Pro on country roads, better steering and enough grip for sportive riding.
But the best feature is that they hold their contour and steering properties until they are worn out.
On my 83 HP / 88 NM 900 SS the Angels run for more than 10.000 miles ( 15.000 km ).
On my 1198 SP with 180 HP / 134 NM they make more than 6000 miles ( 10.000 km ).
The profile cutting doesn't look as good and sportive as many other tires, but that is no more important for me.
I want to have security, grip and much fun on long trips.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Opinions are opinions only and when they differ from person to person the there is nothing that the OP can or should take on board. And opinion here isn't even consensus. This is why, even though I have riden on most, but not all, the top end tyres I have opinions and biases. This is why I say none of the top brands are bad. You can't go wrong. This is my opinion:):)

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
+1 on the Q3's , I run them on my 998 without a drama, I haven't tried them in the wet but I have toured with them without noticeable wear in the centre.

I love their look and have had no issues with cupping.

I plan to put Metzler 01 's on the ST4s when I save up enough. I am doing a tour of Tasmania early next year in March.

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
+1 on the Q3's , I run them on my 998 without a drama, I haven't tried them in the wet but I have toured with them without noticeable wear in the centre.

I love their look and have had no issues with cupping.

I plan to put Metzler 01 's on the ST4s when I save up enough. I am doing a tour of Tasmania early next year in March.

Craig
I've got a few tyres with the centre still intact you can have.>:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I migrated from a 996 to a 1098 and now a 1299.

I mainly ride a Tuono V4 as my go to street bike.

I have locked into Q3's for the past 3 or 4 years as my sports street bike tires. I got a set of Q3+'s delivered last week as Dunlop was having a $75 rebate on them, $211 for a set 0f 120/70 and 190/55.

On average, I get about 1800 miles out of a rear, but that's Saturday/Sunday morning sports riding with zero commuting.

I did my first track day on Q3's a couple of weeks ago, mounted on my 1299S. It was my first time at NCM so I rode in the Intermediate group, but the tires worked very well and stuck like glue once I figured the track layout.

As I haven't yet run the Q3+, for the Op's intended use, I would probably recommend the Angel GT's as they'll probably last a bit longer with the commuting.

This is my riding level

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you want miles, great in the wet, and stickiness, in that order, nothing is better than Michelin Pilot Road 4's.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So here is the diablo after 3400 ish miles. I started looking at tires when she looked a little low, (started this thread) , then she looked like this when I got to work!

Thankfully there is a cycle gear near my work and hey had a Dunlop road smart III in stock. But being I'll be doing so many miles, might as well road test a different one every couple of months.... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like Michelin tires so I went with Pilot Road on my 748. Absolutely love them but it looks like Q3+ is getting the great reviews. Never been "into" Dunlop. Guess it's just one of those things!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts