Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i place my order for my new Pilot Power 2ct's last week and realize on the 1st that it's a holiday weeked coming up....maybe I should go get them put on. I bring it down to my local favorite shop to get the new sneakers put on and they squeezed it in for me so I could pick it up after work.

Beautiful, new, sticky tires have now replaced my original Phantoms, and I couldn't be happier. I ride for maybe an hour or so before heading home to pack it in.

In light of the holiday weekend (again), I decide that it might be a good idea to have current registration and inspection (both expired 6/30...DAMN!). Thursday morning, July 2nd, rolls around and I head to DMV for registration then home to pickup my bike to go for inspection back at my local favorite.

Click goes the keys in the garage door....shuck shuck shuck as I bring in the sunlight as the door opens on a beautiful day.

Flat back tire.......

First thought......they pinched it. I push her to the garage at the end of the street for a quick fill of air and an inspection for a nail so I can take her back to the shop. After a few mins the pressure was still good, so off I go.

I show up and we monitor the pressure for about a half hour....definitely leaking. About 1lb/10mins. Bummer. Guess what they didn't have in stock... That's right, the tube.

Call the locals.....nothing. Finally call a dealer about 40 mins north and they have it. Awesome, I'll be there in the morning.

Deliver the newly purchased tube back to my local shop (better than waiting till next week to get one on order!) and off comes the rear.

That's funny....I don't see any pinches, cant find any holes....nothing inside the new tire....A-HA THERE IT IS!!! The tiniest pinhole you have ever seen in a tube! But, where is the hole in the tire.

Search and search and search.....nothing. Hey Mark, where are the old tires? Sure enough, there it is! Looks like the backing of an earring sticking into the middle of the tire, right between the treads.

I ride all this time with no problems, and I end up getting a puncture on the way to get my new tires put on.

Good news is, she's got new sneaks and Daddy has a new smile!

Ride safe this weekend. Keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Very nice read! & glad you found the cause of the flat...
I've been debating which tires to get. Pilot Powers or Pilot Powers 2ct.
Let us know how you like them... heard excellent reviews about them, and that they stick to the ground like glue!!
Have fun riding

~k

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
That puncture could'a happened a while ago. If it was small enough it may not have gone all the way through. Then the stresses of having the tire removed and 'poof.'

Sucky to have so much runnin' round to do but at least you weren't left stranded somewhere in the hills on a holiday when every shop is closed and every mechanic is out party'n.

Cheers!

-don

·
Registered
900 Posts
Seems like the 2CT's are one of the better tires for this bike. I am about to put some new tires on mine and asked the dealer about what they recommended. I was thinking about Avon Storm ST's as I had them on a previous bike and they work really well. I had been caught in heavy rain a couple of times and they held like glue. He said he would not use those on this or any bike. Did not care for the Bridgestones or the new Dunlops either. He said that the best was the 2CT followed by the Michelins. So, I am probably going to try the 2CT's. My only concern is how are they in wet weather? It is good to hear that your tire problem was not the tire at all, but a simple, yet strange, occurance. Best of luck with the new tires and keep us posted on the results. The most important part of your bike is..............

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I run the 2 cts and love them.

Nice easy profile to roll up on for nice lean angles. I have no problem using the entire tire on the rear of my GT1000.

They give a good road feel, even when pushed to the point where they slide a little, it feels predictable and solid.

I'm never going to buy a different tire for this bike.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the 2ct's on a recommendation. Was told (havent tested yet) that they were awesome in the wet! I was able to put some miles in today and I can say that my cornering confidence is much higher now. After a mile or two, the tires get sticky to the touch and perform perfectly.

Haven't gotten a ton on them yet, but I would already recommend them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the 2cts on Alpinas tubless spokes... on my 3rd set and have to say I love them. Just a word of advice, make sure when the tires are mounted to take off the bar code stickers off the sidewall where they contact the rim, it causes a leak in air after long rides, heating up the bar code stickers and when they cool off harden and causes a slight air leak...happened to me on 2 tires changes already.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bass, that's just one example of why you (and they) are always supposed to put in a new tube when you get new tires.
I made the decision not to put in new tubes. I will be sealing the wheels in the near future.

·
Registered
242 Posts
so with a tubeless setup, if you hit a nail, i know you can repair it, but is that only to get you to a shop to replace the tire or can you run that tire for its life?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Learned from years of dirtbikes and cycling, never ever change tires without using a new tube. They are just too cheap and changing them out is just such a pain. Hindsight, ain't it great :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts