Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my SC into the dealer today to have them check out the tank (spreading issue). It was very loose, came right off the mounts with a firm tug, so he will replace it with a new one. I'm pretty psyched, it'll save me the hassle of removing the tank savers that the previous owner did a shoddy job of applying, plus there were a few minor scratches, etc. Warranty is done April 9th. I was considering replacing with a GT tank, but in the end decided to stick with stock. Hopefully the new tank won't have the spreading problem......:confused:

·
Registered
343 Posts
...Hopefully the new tank won't have the spreading problem......:confused:
Chances are pretty good that it will, as I don't believe Ducati has done anything yet to change the manufacturing process. But best of luck.
Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Chances are pretty good that it will, as I don't believe Ducati has done anything yet to change the manufacturing process. But best of luck.
Remember, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Yeah, I don't know what to believe. A dealer locally told me the new '09 bikes have solved the tank issue and that it was a "venting" problem?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering if something can be done to the new tank to keep it from spreading, I.e. Zip tie the rubber tank mounts to the brackets or frame somehow? I'm not yet sure of the tank installation details, but maybe preventative measures can be taken as opposed to attempting a fix after the fact.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I thought I read in one of the .MS threads that the ethanol in US gas was the culprit in the expanding tanks. Maybe they can coat the inside of the tank with something to keep it from happening again? It would be interesting to see if they are having the same problem overseas as they do not use ethanol blends. Good to hear that you are getting your tank replaced. Take care!

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
I thought I read in one of the .MS threads that the ethanol in US gas was the culprit in the expanding tanks.
We have surmised that ethanol in US gas was a problem but we have never proven it.

Speaking of venting problems . . . in the first few weeks of ownership my Paul Smart would spit gas out the breather line while it was parked. :eek: I discovered that Ducati left an O-ring out of the fuel cap assembly. I fixed that and the fuel stopped spurting coming out . . . . and my tank has never expanded. I wonder . . . :confused: Probably not the same issue . . .

·
Registered
185 Posts
We have surmised that ethanol in US gas was a problem but we have never proven it.

Speaking of venting problems . . . in the first few weeks of ownership my Paul Smart would spit gas out the breather line while it was parked. :eek: I discovered that Ducati left an O-ring out of the fuel cap assembly. I fixed that and the fuel stopped spurting coming out . . . . and my tank has never expanded. I wonder . . . :confused: Probably not the same issue . . .
Interesting, maybe a combination of both?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts